Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that one of the most important things when talking to people about circumcision is to find out WHY they want to do it. I wasted so much time telling my one friend about how it's not medically necessary or beneficial and she only cared about how it LOOKED
: If I'd just taken like two seconds to ascertain what her reasons were then I probably would have had a better chance of changing her mind

So what are the most common reasons that you have encountered? What are some really wild off-the-wall reasons that you never would have expected and totally threw you for a loop when you heard them? What did you say in response and how did the other person respond?

love and peace.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well my sister said boys wont clean themselves and will be stinky and gross cause they are stinky and gross. Um, ok, I guess they will never learn and take care of them selves ever. Imagine all of those 'gross' intact guys will never be able to get married cause their stinky and gross. oh, and there is always the bible says so. She really didn't care to hear otherwise, even though her ds2 had to be recirced cause it looked funny. I have a hard time talking to her anymore. She just had ds 3 in april and yep he is circed.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Look like Daddy.

Don't want him to get teased in the locker room.

It's "cleaner."

Husband wants it (buy the man a tie, for goodness sakes!!!)

friend's uncle's cousin's nephew "had" to be circ'd at a later age.

They don't "feel it" or "remember it" at that age.

didn't know we had a choice

doctor recommended it

they wouldn't do it if it were bad for babies, right?

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I hate to say it...the main thing that I hear over and over is that

"DH wanted him to look like him."

One thing I have noticed is that the moms I know who consented to it not wanting it really:

1. Had DH pressing them to do it to match.

2. Had thought that anesthesia meant the "procedure" was pain free.

3. Thought that it was a simple "clip of skin", were not aware that typically half of the skin of the penis is removed and that the foreskin is fused the the glans at birth.

4. Most also had the misconception that you had to peel it back to clean it
: during diaper changes (ugh, so many misconceptions).

I have to say I have met A LOT of women who have had their son's when I speak to them tell me that they didn't want to have it done, but went along with thier DHs to avoid conflict.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Because their doctor recommened it.

Jessica

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I think my SIL *wants* to do it because she thinks it looks better. She knows why I chose not to, she's changed both my kids dipes and seen enough intact penis to get use to the look, but stiill she wants to do it. Fortunately she has medicaid and they don't cover circ here and I know her DH isn't going to pay $600+ to get it done (he doesn't care either way, although I've told him why I didn't do it and why I think it's wrong, he agrees that it's pretty stupid)

The #1 reason I have encountered is "my DH wanted the baby too look like him"

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
*God would never command anything that would hurt a baby (talking about biblical times, he knows it isn't a command for now *not jewish*)
*I'll just do whatever my doctor tells me to do
*There's nothing wrong with circumcision
*bil:"so are you against snip snip?" me:"you mean rip snip?" bil rolling his eyes "that's not what they do"
*Because, just because
*I don't have an opinio, but I'll probably do it because it's the normal thing to do

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I can't even believe what I read today. One woman's DH insisted on it because he thought it would be more likely to land his son a blow job someday. That was their reason for selecting a painful surgical procedure for their infant. I've been

all day.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
One friend didn't care, but her dh insisted because they teased the one intact guy and didn't want his kids teased.

One friend truly didn't know it didn't need to be done, she talked about how horrible it was but nobody said this isn't needed.

My sis wanted him to have a cute penis.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Ex-friends of my dh's circed their son because a girl the dad knew had sex with an intact guy and it sucked.

Mostly I think a lot of parents just think it's a given something that needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
"because my mom's family used to be Jewish!" That was the worst I've heard. I asked if she planned on raising him Jewish then. Nope

We don't talk anymore.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My dh's cousin "I did my research and there is a lot of good points and strong opinions on both sides. For me it came down to if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for ds."

I wasn't even quite sure what to say!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama
My dh's cousin "I did my research and there is a lot of good points and strong opinions on both sides. For me it came down to if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for ds."

I wasn't even quite sure what to say!
I heard that once. I replied "so, when will you be having him crucified?"

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelGS
I can't even believe what I read today. One woman's DH insisted on it because he thought it would be more likely to land his son a blow job someday. That was their reason for selecting a painful surgical procedure for their infant. I've been

all day.
I belong to an anti circ group on another site and that's the one we get most often!!

It's mostly young woman 19-25 that say they would never have oral sex with an uncirced man

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
So I guess what I'm wondering now is, how do these fit into the attachment parenting model? In the original thread, someone said that a lot more people circed in her AP group than you would think would. I guess with some of these uninformed statements, thinking that there is some benefit or necessity to it, you could believe that the parents did have their child's best interest at heart (like all the circed and regret it mamas here.
). But it seems like most of the stuff we're hearing is totally about the parents. So how can one reconcile the "look like daddy" mindset with true attachment parenting? Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Because he will "get made fun of" if left intact.
Ah, yes. That happens all the time at those adolescent penis-comparison parties at the gym.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know there are some who will argue about less chance of UTI's, penile cancer, etc.....but it seems that when it comes down to the REAL reasons they actually do it, all logic and reason are abandoned.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessjgh1
Because their doctor recommened it.

Jessica
Of all of them, this one disturbs me the most

The thing is... circ absolutely does not fit in with AP. It just doesn't. The people who say it does are in deep in denial, IMO. It goes against everything that AP and NFL stand for. I totally agree that there should be no "laundry list" of things that one has to do or not do to be considered AP, but some things are fundamentally incompatible with AP.

love and peace.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts