Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am brand new to this, as I spun my first tiny, tiny skein (seriously, like 3 or 4 yards) this evening on a drop spindle.<br><br>
I feel like a complete fool, but I need to ask:<br><br>
So, I have spun the yarn on the drop spindle, and I go to wind it on the niddynoddy or whatever I am using--how do I get that tail end of the yarn to keep the spin? On the miniskein I just finished, I just pinched it until I could get it into some water to set the twist (not exactly fun, but I was afraid that I would lose the twist in the entire thing). Basically, when I am done spinning, the very end of the yard is just hanging out (the last part I have spun) and I can't figure out how to secure it so it keeps the twist of the entire skein.<br><br>
I am sure that there is something completely obvious that I am just missing.<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
weetzie,<br>
I'm kind of new to spinning too. I usually just try to keep it taut when I wind off into a skein and then I use the ends of my yarn to tie off the skein by wrapping them around the skein and the doing a half hitch. I do usually lose the twist on an inch or two. When you're winding off on your niddy noddy (I don't have one yet), would it help to actually tie off your end to the noddy and then start wrapping? I do this on my improvised niddy noddy.<br>
I'm no expert but just keeping the yarn taut seems to prevent the twist from going away. Also when I make my skein (twisting the skein on my thumbs), I pull it pretty tightly so everything stays together well and uncrimps when I set my twist.<br>
Hope this helps a little.<br>
Kim

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that totally does help(i dont have a niddynoddy either, just dreaming i guess lol)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Yup I second what Kimac said. I've been spinning for quite a few years and my skeins have always unraveled an inch or two when I'm skeining off.<br><br>
When I'm using the NN, I take the end and use the fist that I'm holding the NN to to hold the end while I skein. This keeps the twist, and when I finish winding, I use it as well as the other end to tie the skein.<br><br>
You could improvise something similar if you're using your fingers.<br>
Btw, I've never heard of using water to secure the twist at the end. I don't know if that would work, as you'd have to eventually wet the entire skein. (That would set the twist in any case).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts