Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to try to encourage little one to go head down. He/she has been in perma-transverse for as long as I could start feeling the position. Anyway, I'm thinking it will be more comfy for me if baby goes vertical...hopefully with bum up and head down.

I have checked out the spinning babies website, but the only thing spinning is my head!
winky.gif

I can't follow it. It's very confusing to me. I can't map the baby because I don't know which end is head and which is bum. I just wish there was a button that said "click here for transverse baby" and it would tell me what techniques to try.

Am I missing something? Is it easier than that? I might be slightly impatient, but it does seem kinda hard to really follow.

Also, is there something better to try to help baby turn instead of this? My midwife will help him/her with various methods if he/she hasn't turned at all by 35-36 wks, but we're not worried yet. I just want to be a little more comfy...plus it would give me peace of mind that baby can actually flip.

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey Bree,

This page really tells you just about everything you need to know:

http://www.spinningbabies.com/techniques/in-pregnancy/3-principles-in-pregnancy

Focus on this page. It's really a condensation of everything else on the website, but in a nutshell, these three thing (balance, gravity, and movement) are what optimal fetal positioning are about.

You will get the best results if you are doing these things in combination with getting bodywork, especially Webster chiropractic and skilled prenatal massage. Both of those help tremendously with the 'balance' aspect, which means when you do the movement and gravity parts, they are much more effective in helping baby get into a good position.

P.S. -----> I have taken a workshop with Gail, the Spinning Babies lady, and this is really what the focus of it was. I know the website can be overwhelming because there are just so many topics.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I did find a section on transverse positions.

It made me freak out though because it said that if a baby has always been transverse (rather than switching from various positions), it's a lot harder to get the baby to go head down because the uterus is used to the transverse shape. Does that sound real or not? I thought the baby's still had lots of room to move around this time. Ugh...just another worry. Not much I can do about it except hope the baby turns and try some inversions I guess. Plus, should I believe everything I read on the internet?

Lastly, I'm confused about how the baby is laying. I am feeling a lot of movements under my right rib cage...like a lot and mostly in the last couple days. It is definitely something under my rib cage, but I don't know if it's arms or legs. It seems pretty clear that the baby's head is on one side and the bum on the other, but sometimes it's not exactly horizontal...more like a little diagonal.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

Okay, I did find a section on transverse positions.

It made me freak out though because it said that if a baby has always been transverse (rather than switching from various positions), it's a lot harder to get the baby to go head down because the uterus is used to the transverse shape. Does that sound real or not? I thought the baby's still had lots of room to move around this time. Ugh...just another worry. Not much I can do about it except hope the baby turns and try some inversions I guess. Plus, should I believe everything I read on the internet?

Lastly, I'm confused about how the baby is laying. I am feeling a lot of movements under my right rib cage...like a lot and mostly in the last couple days. It is definitely something under my rib cage, but I don't know if it's arms or legs. It seems pretty clear that the baby's head is on one side and the bum on the other, but sometimes it's not exactly horizontal...more like a little diagonal.
Just do the things they recommend if you're comfortable doing them and don't worry about it. We're at a good stage now - babies small enough to move easily, but far enough along that if we move them they might stay.

Can't help you on the positioning. My baby seems to be made mostly of shoulders with about 8 limbs and two butts ;)

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Can't help you on the positioning. My baby seems to be made mostly of shoulders with about 8 limbs and two butts ;)
Mine too! Damn these octopus babies.

Bree -- I think the biggest thing to take from spinningbabies is that these things can all help encourage head down, but don't get caught up in "omg if I don't do these things my baby will NEVER go head down and if he/she doesn't it'll be ALL my fault!"

I try to do a few things - no reclining (which I usually fail at b/c it's so comfortable); sitting on a birth ball (I do actually do this a lot); walking, and inversions. Remember that most babies do flip head down in time, no matter what you do or don't do.

And of course you have to believe everything that's on the internet. If it weren't 100% true, it wouldn't be there. Right?
winky.gif

I still leave all the position stuff (like where parts are and what not) up to my mw. I figure she's palpated a ton more bellies than I have, so I kind of guess until my appointment. I'm rarely right, LOL!! So, you aren't alone in that you can't figure it out. Don't stress about it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just read that a transverse lie is only found in 1 in 2500 births so I feel better now. Little one will turn when he/she is ready. I'm still going to try to encourage it, but I'm not gonna go crazy with it.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I just read that a transverse lie is only found in 1 in 2500 births so I feel better now. Little one will turn when he/she is ready. I'm still going to try to encourage it, but I'm not gonna go crazy with it.
yeahthat.gif
I think that's what I was trying to say -- encourage it but don't drive yourself nuts!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
At 29 - 31 weeks it's too early to worry about whether the baby is in the right position or not. Even if he/she were to go head down now, there's still the chance of flipping back. Sometimes they don't even get into the right position until early labor starts. That what all those darn irregular contractions are doing for days before true labor.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Oh, Bree, I could have written your post! I am in the same boat, worrying about the baby turning head down, and especially since he hasn't changed to ANY other position ever. He is, as you say, in perma-transverse. I do an inversion for 30 seconds about twice a day, sometimes less when I forget. But I've been doing it for weeks and nothing has changed. So...I don't know. At this point I am trying to get myself to just accept it, ride it out, and let him turn when he will. And if he doesn't turn, well then he's a very rare baby! (1 in 2000 or so like you said.) I won't go into the details of my other worries around the subject, for your sake...but I just want to say, hon, that I feel ya!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I did my hypnosis homework yesterday while laying on my left side and really focusing on Charlie switching from being head up on the right to head down on the left.

I think it was about half an hour of laying there and concentrating. Not only on that, but it was part of it and I've been doing a lot of focus and talking to him the last few days.

And he moved! Felt like a cranky teenager, but for the first time in the pregnancy, he was on my left side.

He's not there right now, but he's not all the way on the right anymore, either.

The thing to say is "My baby is in the ideal position for birth - head down, chin tucked, back to mom's belly with the cord free near his/her hips and legs" - or something similar and you really picture it.

I use my hands and show him.

And there's the ice pack/heat pack trick, too.

Keep trying, though! I'm all gleeful now :) Even if he went back, it worked!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Oh, Bree, I could have written your post! I am in the same boat, worrying about the baby turning head down, and especially since he hasn't changed to ANY other position ever. He is, as you say, in perma-transverse. I do an inversion for 30 seconds about twice a day, sometimes less when I forget. But I've been doing it for weeks and nothing has changed. So...I don't know. At this point I am trying to get myself to just accept it, ride it out, and let him turn when he will. And if he doesn't turn, well then he's a very rare baby! (1 in 2000 or so like you said.) I won't go into the details of my other worries around the subject, for your sake...but I just want to say, hon, that I feel ya!
Thanks Maurine...though you now have me worried that I haven't worried about something else. Do I dare ask? I did read some stuff that transverse can make the waters break early , the cord can prolapse, and stuff like that, but I'm not actually worried about that stuff. Plus, it wasn't from reputable sources. Everything with this pregnancy has pretty much been textbook so I really don't have any reason to think little one won't turn...I just want it to turn soon for my own comfort (and peace of mind of course). Most stuff I have read though said babies go head down in first timers by about 32-33 wks, but I'm not quite there yet and plus, that's not everyone. Regardless, my spirits are up and I'm not really actively worrying anymore. Plus, baby went oblique a couple times in the last couple days (diagonal) so that's at least a change.

We're in the same boat so I'll think flip thoughts for you if you do for me. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I just wanted to say try not to get too concerned about position/presentation right now. It IS very rare for babies to not eventually go head down, and not all first time babies do it ahead of time, just as not all first time babies engage before labor either.

With DS (my first) he was head down and in a seemingly perfect presentation/position for most of the pregnancy, so we didn't think we'd have any issues. We ended up in a very rare situation of DS turning to a asynclictic malposition during labor. So I now think presentation/position before labor isn't anywhere near as important as what they do during labor.

This new baby is lying mostly transverse, but they move around a lot. I can't keep a track of what presentation this one is in unless they are kicking me. I'm not going to get hung up on it as I know that they will probably turn to head down at the beginning of labor. When my mum was carrying me I lay mostly transverse. She actually had 3 extrenal versions performed on her, and each time I moved right back to transverse. Then during early labor I moved by myself into a head down position. I was her quickest labor at only 8 hours start to finish and her easiest birth, so I know it is possible to remain transverse right up until early labor and still birth a vertex baby.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

And of course you have to believe everything that's on the internet. If it weren't 100% true, it wouldn't be there. Right?
winky.gif
ROTFLMAO.gif

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My son was transverse till 38.5 weeks, flipped 180 degrees to be transverse the OTHER way (that HURT!!!), and then spent 10 days gradually turning head down, which he only finished doing while I was in labour.

The good news about that is that I'm much less concerned about good positioning this time round, I know that babies can move right up to the last minute.

However, baby-girl is actually breech now after being transverse for quite a while (as her defaults, she moves a lot, but sort of comes back to breech to 'rest'), so my midwives have said that around 34 weeks (in 3 weeks for me), we will further discuss moxibustion and/or homeopathic options to encourage proper positioning. If she's still regularly moving lots on her own, it's less of a concern for them or me, what will bug us all is if she settles into this breech position. There is only one O/B who will assist the M/W with a breech delivery at the hospitals they work with, so we need to stay on top of it, but no one is worrying yet :) (if she's not breech, the M/W do the delivery on their own, no O/B present)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm wanting buttercup to move on down as well. I keep doing pelvic rocks, and down dog to encourage her....my boys laugh like crazy when I do this...it's way to weird to see their mom pumping up and down with conviction, I'm sure!!! But...it's good for them too. I'm not just mom...I'm a pregnant woman! I think it's really important for boys to have a sense of what birth and pregnancy entail...makes em think, right???

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Bree, I'll think head-down thoughts for you, for sure!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.