Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo..........I have my first post-9/11 airplane trip scheduled.........and now this. Anybody else a little jittery about boarding the "friendly" skies?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I dont like it at all.
I either A.) Take a mild tranquilizer before hand
or
B.)
Have a glass of wine or two before I board the plane.

It SUCKED when I had to fly a couple of months after 9/11 and I was pregnant. Can you say "white knuckle flight" anyone?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Since 9/11 flying has never been the same for me. I can't help not to worry. My dh flies out on business trips 4-6 times a year. It's always a worry. I was planning on getting plane tickets next week to visit my mom, I'm not so sure we are going to go now. My mom called this morning and said we shouldn't get tickets right now. Also because of fuel prices plane tickets are going up....

I worry of flying somewhere with my dh and having something happen and being so far away from my kids. For one thing we are in AK...if flights were all down for some reason like 9/11 and borders closed in Canada we might not be able to even drive back to our kids. That freaks me out.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Nope. But if this whole "no liquids" thing had been going on when I had a long day of multiple flights while pg I would have been terrified. I reacted poorly enough as it was.

I just don't have faith in an airline to provide enough clean, non-nasty water to a pregnant or lactating woman.

But then I have trust issues when it comes to authority...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nope.

Well, certainly not right now. [This week will probably be the safetest -although most annoying- time to fly.] And definitely not of terrorist attacks.
I am disturbed/afraid about other related things. But I have alternative views on the whole situation.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I used to be OK with it (oblivious), but I haven't flown since 1991. I just can't seem to get over it. I suppose if I took tranquilizers, I could handle it. But I'm not sure, so I hate to get a ticket and sit on a plane (especially with my kids) in case I might have to get off.

I know someone with fear of flying who tried to just get over it for a family trip, ended up having a panic attack and not being able to go through with it. She had to get the plane to go back to the terminal and let her off (along with her dh, two little kids and MIL - who was quite irritated since she had been the one to plan, pay for, and push push push for the trip).

·
Registered
118 Posts
The joy of seeing family and friends (for the first time in a long time! with the exception of Mom and niece)
outweighs anxiety. Yet there's a touch of it......

I've been learning everything I can about what NOT to bring in purse and carry-on....no lip balm, huh? I have three in my purse! No purell? Gotta take that out too...

No baby shampoos/baby wash, no facial cleanser, toner, diaper cream in carry-ons. I just want to be prepared. But all in all, I'm excited for everybody back home to meet our baby girl! And to see how much our 4 yo has grown! I've waited 2 years for this. Any anxiety that comes up, I remind myself of that!!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
I'm really scared. I don't want to get on a plane headed over the Atlantic and I don't want anyone I love on one.

My parents are traveling to the UK in 8 days for a vacation and I hope they canceal.

My DH flies to Europe every month or two for business but he just got back so it should be awhile before he has to go again.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Yes, but 9/11 isn't really the reason, I had a fear of flying prior to that. I went on a couple of business trips post 9/11 and my plane jitters were no better or worse than before 9/11. But I haven't flown since I got pregnant in 2003, so I can imagine being a mother would be a whole new world of flying fears.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm not afraid to fly - but I am having serious anxiety at the thought of dealing with the new rules.

I get extreme motion sickness and there are several ways I combat this that are in jeapardy, lots of clean water, lots of salty snacks, a special wristwatch that sends an electrical pulse through my wrist. If those are taken away I will spend the entire flight throwing up - if my stomach is empty I will have dry heaves the entire flight. I've been through this before and it is not fun for me or the other passengers. I also have medication for this, but just the meds aren't enough - I still throw up constantly.

I also have chemical sensitivities so if the airline loses my bag its not like I can just pop into the corner store and pick up new toiletries.

And they say we can bring our meds, but what if they try to take them away. Those meds are what keep me alive from day to day. So if they refuse to let me board I cannot get on the plane. Is the airline going to have to provide me a new seat when I miss my flight and finally get the TSA to believe that I cannot be separated from my meds? Or are they going to charge me a fortune for a new last-minute ticket?

And now they are talking about taking away all carryons, cell phones, and even watches. So basically you just get on the plane with your wallet. What happens when you reach your destination and discover that the airline lost your bag. No phone, no clothes, no laptop to do the work you were taking the trip for in the first place. The airlines have always refused to compensate you for certain things in your luggage - like electronics or any valuables.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
Soooo..........I have my first post-9/11 airplane trip scheduled.........and now this. Anybody else a little jittery about boarding the "friendly" skies?
Sort of, but not for the reasons others might have. I'm afraid of the fact this country has become a police state while the larger causes of terrorism are ignored in policy debates. I'm afraid of the fact that my name is probably on a watch-list because I support progressive causes. I'm afraid of the fact that I can be detained in an airport for no other reason than the fact that I looked suspicious to someone.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was always scared- way before 9/11. I'm not worried about terrorists- I'm too preoccupied by the fact that I'm hundreds of feet off the ground and have no idea why that thing can stay in the air and that SURELY it can just fall at any moment... that and I don't like that I can't LEAVE.

Maybe it's all cause I'm an earth sign...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.