Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Kirkland (Costco) liquid detergent, the dye free/perfume free version, on my dipes. But it contains "brightening agents," so I wanted to get something without said agents. I ordered some Charlie's Soap. (It hasn't arrived yet.)

We've never had a problem with odor, stains, or rashes thus far, but we've only been CD'ing for 2 months. I have a really good washing maching and I always use an extra "Skin Care Rinse" at the end of the cycle, so hopefully I'm removing most of the detergent residue. Should I just not mess with a good thing?

I'm so confused!
:

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a good thing, but that's just me.
:

I bought Allen's Naturally, but with my really small stash and washing dipes every other day I'm already noticing a dent in my small, TWENTY dollar bottle. When this is done I'm going to try my ALL, or Kirkland (which ever is on sale) "free and clear". I would rather rinse a few extra times because I can buy 10 times as much ALL as I can Allen's. I simply can't afford the "proper" soap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Brighteners won't affect cloth diapers as much as Diaper Covers. Most people have great results useing detergents with brighteners, but are unaware that they are damaging their diaper covers.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I also wouldn't mess with what works for you.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vietsabien View Post
Brighteners won't affect cloth diapers as much as Diaper Covers.
What does it do to covers? Does that mean it would effect pockets as well?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to say that for me (and some others I've read about), Charlie's just isn't cutting it. It worked fine at the beginning, but then I moved (so could be a water issue) and I've had stink issues ever since. If I use something besides Charlies, I don't have stink issues. So. Hopefully that won't happen to you. I had ordered the giant 5 gallon container of Charlie's back when I loved it, and now I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking about asking for a refund. They guarantee the product.

Mary

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I ordered the sample size of Charlie's from Cotton Babies, so I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money yet.

Since the covers get washed less, and I have less of them, I wonder if it just makes sense to replace them if/when wicking occurs? I guess I'll see . . .

It's so irritating that they can't just leave out the additives!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Kirkland ate holes in my cloth dipes. I only used about 1 to 2 tbsp and did an extra rinse too. I have since switched and have no more issues. I am not 100% certain but that is the only thing I changed and now I am not having the prob? It was only with 2 kinds of diapers (similar fabrics) so it could have been that as well. ??

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vietsabien View Post
Bummis covers

List of Detergents
From the Bummis link:

Quote:
Detergents that have shown up often in our troubleshooting efforts as possibly causing residues are:

All "Free and Clear". The free and clear actually refers to dust mites - and as such the detergent has a ton of additives to rid the fabric of allergens.
That's incorrect. Free and Clear, according to All's website, is formulated "free and clear" of added dyes or perfumes to make it safe for those with sensitive skin. Where they got the dust mite info I have no idea...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Kirkland ate holes in my cloth dipes. I only used about 1 to 2 tbsp and did an extra rinse too. I have since switched and have no more issues. I am not 100% certain but that is the only thing I changed and now I am not having the prob? It was only with 2 kinds of diapers (similar fabrics) so it could have been that as well. ??
Wow--I don't want holes, that's for sure!

I've actually used this detergent for some time and have not noticed it being rough on my clothes. But again, diapers seem to be a separate issue.

I'll try the Charlie's when it comes, but I'm wondering if the sample will be enough to give me a clear picture. It's 16 loads or so. I'd like to avoid using bleach, esp. since we're on septic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.