Mothering Forum banner

Do you know anyone circed IRL for true medical reasons?

• Yes, Cancer, Gangrene, Frostbite or irreparable accident, hypospadias

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Yes, but not for a TRUE medical reason Phimosis, UTI, Infection etc.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • No, don't know anyone IRL that had to be circed for medical reasons

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • No, don't even know any child who was circed at birth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other/or know someone who was circed but no idea if it was really needed or not.

Votes: 9 11.8%

Spinoff Circ for medical reasons Poll

1K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  mommajb 
#1 ·
The other thread got me to thinking this would make a great poll.

So here goes. If you know someone IRL who had a TRUE medical reason for circ. IE cancer, gangrene, frostbite, irreparable accident damage, or severe hypospadias were the foreskin was needed for the repair.

If the circ was done for non medical reasons IE. phimosis (to tight foreskin), UTI, Infections etc. then answer the second option.

Other is for anything I didn't think of that would not fit in the above 2 categories. Including you do know someone who was circed but you honestly don't know the reason why.

Working on the poll give me a second to get it up.

#2 ·
Well, my grandpa was circumcised at age 60-something. He had to have a surgery for something else in the area (prostate, I think?), and his dr told him that they'd just go ahead and circumcise him while they were at it.
:

#3 ·
My boyfriend's father (originally from Belgium) was circumcised in his 20's (he's 55 now) after moving to the United States. He got some kind of "infection" and was told he needed to get circumcised. I'm sure if this "infection" had occured in Belgium he would still have his foreskin! He even told my boyfriend (who is circ'd, why I don't know) that sex was wayyyy better before the circumcision. That's what made my boyfriend anti-circ for our son when I was pregnant and now he wants to even restore!!!

#4 ·
I voted for Yes, but not for a TRUE medical reason Phimosis, UTI, Infection etc.

I would have worded the answer "Yes, but for a medical reason that could have been cured by less drastic measures Phimosis, UTI, Infection etc." b/c those are real problems just as toenail fungus is a real problem. Ofcourse if your Dr recommended amputating you toe over toenail fungus...

BTW he was a consenting adult, his phimosis was making him uncommortable, and it did fix the problem. However, he does not recommend getting circ'd.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
my boyfriend (who is circ'd, why I don't know)
Depending on when and where your BF was born it may have just been done automatically without consulting his parents.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I voted for Yes, but not for a TRUE medical reason Phimosis, UTI, Infection etc.

I would have worded the answer "Yes, but for a medical reason that could have been cured by less drastic measures Phimosis, UTI, Infection etc." b/c those are real problems just as toenail fungus is a real problem. Ofcourse if your Dr recommended amputating you toe over toenail fungus...

BTW he was a consenting adult, his phimosis was making him uncommortable, and it did fix the problem. However, he does not recommend getting circ'd.
I would have worded it that way but I ran out of room
so what I ment was a true reason medical reason to circ. didnt mean the other things were not true medical conditions .

#8 ·
My BF was involved in an accident at the age of 5 with a glass-topped table. His foreskin was used to reconstruct his penis, which now looks like a completely normal circumcised penis. He is anti-circ, but not vehemently so.

My grandfather was circ'd in the Navy. Supposedly, he needed it, but it was during the era of everybody in the military gets circ'd, so I'm more likely to think that it was an automatic enlistment=circ thing. He is not really pro or anti, but all four of his sons were circ'd (during the era of automatic, no parental consent).

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_work_in_progress View Post

My ex fiance was circ'd due to a nasty spider bite on his foreskin. Without going into details, it was neccessary.
EEEEEEEK! Like the case with the glass table thank goodness he had the foreskin. Life is so bizarre - I would never imagine a spider getting down a man's trousers, but it obviously can happen.

#15 ·
A neighbor boy was circumcised at age 6. It was scheduled a few weeks in advance, so it obviously was not an emergency (inability to urinate, etc). I am 99.9% certain that he was diagnosed with "phimosis".

My grandfather was circumcised in 1969, when he was in his 50's; I have no idea why.

#16 ·
My first boyfriend (and first sexual partner) was circumcised at 17. I can't remember all of the details, but we did have an episode where his frenulum tore, so I would imagine that is why he "had" to get circumcised. I voted NOT for true medical reasons, as frenulum breve can be aleviated by other means (wish I (or better yet he) knew that then).

To take this to another level, I know the following intact men with NO problems:

DH
DS
Brother
DH's dad and brothers (they were all born in Scotland)
Probably a whole bunch of young men (as circ hasn't been covered here by medical for 20+ years) and co-workers (my workplace is very multi-cultural).

Cindy

Lindsey (96/02/26)
Jason (00/06/08)

#17 ·
I have a friend who's son was circ'd due to a birth defect.

Unfortunately, I gave in to DH and other pressures to circ my son for no reason. After a year of complications, I'll never let that happen again.

Also unfortunately, my cousin adopted a 10 month old from Russia several years ago. When he was around 3 or 4 they had him circ'd - so he would look like all the other boys... I found it disturbing then and still find it so...

Actually, the first time I saw an un-circ boy was when I started attending LLL about a year ago. Each time I see one, I remember how perfect my little boy looked, and how he looked right after surg. I am ssssoooooo sorry I signed that paper.

#18 ·
I have a co-worker who was circ'd at 21 for...
(drumroll please)
...a yeast infection.

I'm also very iffy on hypospadias being a legitimate excuse for circumcision. I've dated two different guys who were born with relatively severe cases of hypospadias; both were successfully repaired when they were children and both remained intact, although only on the dorsal side.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaDude View Post
(drumroll please)
...a yeast infection.

I'm also very iffy on hypospadias being a legitimate excuse for circumcision. I've dated two different guys who were born with relatively severe cases of hypospadias; both were successfully repaired when they were children and both remained intact, although only on the dorsal side.
Surgery? For a yeast infection? OMG, I'm so glad they don't do that to women! I don't think any of us would have our full compliment of parts.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaDude View Post
(drumroll please)
...a yeast infection.

DS had a very severe recurring yeast infection at the age of one so bad that he would get raw patches and blisters on his skin, due to a strawberry allergy. It usually only affected his thighs and scrotum, but at one point it got onto his foreskin and it swelled. We didn't know yet why he was getting them, so I took him to the ped because I was concerned about it swelling more and preventing urination. The two peds we saw flat-out refused to culture, despite my asking, pushed oral abx and got pissed when I refused them, and said if it came back he'd have to be circ'd.

All this without even knowing what was causing the problem! I figured out on my own that it was a yeast infection, I figured out on my own that it was because he was allergic to strawberries, and I figured out on my own how to treat it. If I hadn't known better, DS would've had a surgical wound AND a raging yeast infection!

#21 ·
My cousin had hypospadias.

I have a friend whose almost two year old was having an undescended testicle repaired and she had them 'finish' his circ because they hadn't taken enough the first time and she didn't like having to retract him to clean him at diaper changes. No matter what I said during several candid conversations I could not change her mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.