Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
our babyproofing is a work in progress! We've installed safety outlet covers, a gate across the kitchen, the bed is on the floor and the bedroom is kept clear of baby-hazards while we're sleeping. There's a pack 'n play in the office as there's no way we could reasonably babyproof it, so he plays in that when he wants to wiggle and squirm or sits with one of us when he doesn't and we're in there. We're still working on getting the living/dining room area cleaned up.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
yes, gates on stairs, bed not on frame, locks on several cupboards...breakable pots or chemicals, and covers on sockets
I still make sure we practice going up and down stairs, so that he's good at it, and in case I accidentally leave it open, he will know what to do.

Dawn

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Somewhat. I prefer to provide a safe environment that ds can fully explore without me over his shoulder and in order to feel comfortable doing that I need to have some safety measures in place. Mainly, not leaving anything in his reach that he can't safely play with or that can be broken. For example, on the entertainment center the DVD player and knicknacks are out of his reach and the lower open shelves are filled with videos and books that he can't hurt himself on if he pulls them down. Also, since he likes to pull himself up on everything, in the beginning I blocked the floor lamps too. I have child locks on the kitchen cabinets--not because it's not safe, but because it's a pain in the rear end to keep cleaning up the cupboard contents from the kitchen floor.
Oh, and also gates on the stairs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I babyproof daily.
Infact, just yesterday my ds discovered he can pull the vent cover off the vent and pulled the knob off one of the kitchen drawers. Today he still managed to pull open one of the latched drawers and get his fingers caught while simultaneously pushing the drawer shut. That was fun. Oh and he discovered some baskets that he can pull over onto himself, so I moved those up high. I too like to have the big part of the house babyproofed so I don't have to be constantly scared he'll hurt himself. I just shut the doors of the other rooms and let him have free reign in the living room and kitchen.

Wendi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
yes, gates on stairs, bed not on frame, locks on several cupboards...breakable pots or chemicals, and covers on sockets
I still make sure we practice going up and down stairs, so that he's good at it, and in case I accidentally leave it open, he will know what to do.

Dawn

Mine's a month younger than yours. Does yours actually go up and down stairs on his own? MY DS is standing on his own, but has no concept of stairs except that he fell down 13 of them last week. It's as though that area is a great unknown. How did you teach him to go up and down? You can PM me if you wish. I don't mean to hijack thread.

Jen

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fireshifter View Post
Mine's a month younger than yours. Does yours actually go up and down stairs on his own? MY DS is standing on his own, but has no concept of stairs except that he fell down 13 of them last week. It's as though that area is a great unknown. How did you teach him to go up and down? You can PM me if you wish. I don't mean to hijack thread.

Jen
Awww 13 stairs
ouch!

We just started with going up...actually my mom introduced the stairs to him...
: I was like 'mom, no not yet, let him find them on his own'
anyway...he just started climbing and I was always right behind him and when he would get distracted I would tap the step aove him to get him to keep going.
With going down, this began on our bed...when ever he wanted off the bed I would say 'down backwards' then slid his feet and legs first off the side of the bed...a month later he was doing it himself.
So with stairs I would position him at the top and say 'down backwards' and kinda help him go down. He would usually get distracted after 3 stairs and want o go head first, so I'd just carry him the rest of the way down.
I'm sure if you put a toy a couple steps up he would go for it, just make sure you 'spot him' (like in gym class)

Dawn

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
We don't use gates. I keep the bathroom door shut so she doesn't eat cat poop when we are near the bathroom with the cat box.. I have the thingies you stick into electrical outlets. She loves to try and put her fingers in outlets no matter how many times I tell her that it isn't safe. I also have the safety latches on cupboards. I keep chokable things, glass, and metal things out of reach. I keep electrical cords taped to something so she can't play with them. We built a barrier around the fireplace so she doesn't burn herself. She does not understand what is ok to play with and what isn't, so we have to do these things. I do teach her, but she is strong willed. So instead of having 1,000,000 temper-tantrums a day from me taking things off of her, I see to it that she does not get the prized items to begin with.

She is free to play with/destroy books and magazines. They are all in her reach. She has free reign to my pots and pans. I keep a few drawers with non toys (spatula, cell phone with no battery, plastic toddler forks, etc) that she likes to play with for her to discover on her own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts