Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the thread about induction a mama asked about women failing to go into labor and if that had ever been recorded...I didn't find an answer to that but I found this HORRIBLE article...will keep looking...

Jenne

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I LOVE YOU MAMAS!!!!

My major in college was Early American social history of women emphasis childbirth and childrearing. I have DOZENS of midwife accounts which were written from the primary sources of ledgers and journals. Sigh. Anybody with a couple bucks and a bookstore or better yet a library has access. Obviously this writer didn't need to bother with "history". Too bad she probably has convinced many women that they need their Drs. and their cribs to "survive".

Jenne

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some other GREAT resources on midwifery in context "A Midwife's Tale" by Laura Thatcher Ulrich. She has written some other good books about women in colonial America as well, err..."Goodwives". I have more but all my academia books are packed up just this minute. Hmm...Paquerette, I never thought of putting my stuff on the web...I'll think about it...one big drawback, imo, is that the field is so large in terms of who, what, and when that I had to really focus in to get papers that weren't overwhelming. So almost all of my stuff is about southern white women of the aristocracy (middle class and up) and thus doesn't nescessarily provide a good "complete" picture except that segment of society in that region. I'd love to Applejuice's stuff
though!

Jenne

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So I did a little research on the ehh "author" of the essay...she writes for PARENTING magazine...sorry, but you would think a national publication wouldn't want this kind of inaccurate idiocy (sorry for the name calling) spread by their employees...not that I hold parenting in very high regard but come on!

JEnne

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.