Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,665 Posts
I've been thinking about this since I posted that thing, and I know a few research geeks who might be interested in digging up some stuff for us. I'm far too scatterbrained to do it myself these days. I know someone who was working on researching medieval midwifery a few years ago. If I discover anything, I'll pop back in here.

ETA: I have to say I was sooo impressed by that article.
Wow, she researched it so well that she didn't even need to cite sources. I'm sure I've heard of male doctors attending births before the 1900's. It's all about what culture, what time period, you're in. And her writing skills are just delightful.

Mountains of laundry... babies only wore a linen gown and were wrapped in wool blankets as needed, for much of history. Adults clothing was based on having linen (or cotton when that became cheap and available) undergarments that were washed, and wool overgarments that were not. I've handwashed linen in a bucket, it's not that hard. I imagine the diapers would be a real bear, but maybe they EC'd, maybe they let the babies roam around nakey-butt in good weather. I've heard of various cultures doing that.

The scenario in the beginning is.. interesting. I'm sure it could have happened kinda like that, but... why did this room have no heat, but yet firewood has to be chopped? Shivering with cold while in labor? Maybe if she was outside sitting in a snowbank. How much work were the other 3 children anyway? Wouldn't they be chopping the wood and gathering the snow and whatnot? The husband went to the pub that's 2 hours away in a blizzard? What "baby supplies" did they supposedly need from town, anyway? Children's clothing and laundry soap? Why would a poor homesteader buy these things ready made instead of making them herself? Sheesh, I learned more about history by reading Little House on the Prairie than this woman knows.

Ahh, that reminds me... Laura's births were (male) doctor-attended in the 1880's. So that's one example.

· Registered
6,665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenne
I LOVE YOU MAMAS!!!!

My major in college was Early American social history of women emphasis childbirth and childrearing. I have DOZENS of midwife accounts which were written from the primary sources of ledgers and journals. Sigh. Anybody with a couple bucks and a bookstore or better yet a library has access. Obviously this writer didn't need to bother with "history". Too bad she probably has convinced many women that they need their Drs. and their cribs to "survive".
What an awesome degree!
Have you written anything? Maybe you could get some good stuff out there on the web.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.