Mothering Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:
You are tired, cold, hungry and your husband fell asleep at the local pub hours ago
More likely to be cold and hungry in a modern hospital than in her own house.

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwherbs
the women who came alone across the plains to the west were the isolated ones
I have several autobiographies of old physicians dating into the 1800's and none support this "history" article
ITA

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Oooohhh - "young girls were encouraged to witness and hear older women giving birth so that they could prepare for their own births" -- what a SCARY concept.

A successful and talented writer? (*snorts*)

I love the web, but it does allow a venue for everybody's ill-informed opinions(and extraneous exclamation points).

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Aside from the inane tone of that article, I'm quite sure my 12-year-old son would do a better job of researching. Plus, he's already grasped the proper use of the exclamation point. It scares me that this woman actually found a market for that piece...
Tara,

Totally agree with you said about the woman who wrote this. Would love to see what your 12 year old son would write about this. Thank you.

· Registered
3,521 Posts
Quote:
There are no drugs, medicines, or the comforts of modern day conveniences such as disposable diapers, modern cribs, electric baby swings, trendy strollers, adjustable high chairs or even nursing bras
Well.. this sounds like a great birth to me..

posies? cribs? swings? strollers? adjustable high chair...

Good Gods.. how did the women before us ever manage..

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So I did a little research on the ehh "author" of the essay...she writes for PARENTING magazine...sorry, but you would think a national publication wouldn't want this kind of inaccurate idiocy (sorry for the name calling) spread by their employees...not that I hold parenting in very high regard but come on!

JEnne

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.