Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a family of 6 (four kids two adults) and I'm averaging 1200-1600 a month on groceries and household stuff (sometimes more) including eating out......I WANT AND NEED to cut this down but is it possible? Can we survive on less? Help me out here mamas!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
It's just two adults here so numbers definitely will vary. I live in a large midwestern city in USA so food prices tend to be low. We are also living on a very tight budget, no eating out, no entertainment that costs money, so we have $100 this MONTH for groceries and household supplies (not including the $25 we usually spend on the cats because we had store credit to cover them this month due to mix up last month). We eat a lot of lentils, frozen fruits and frozen veggies, garden leftovers, orchard leftovers, stretch meat (can't remember the last time I had a "piece of meat"), cook everything from scratch and only buy organic dairy and no-hormone/no antibiotic meat.

On a looser month, it's more like $150-$175 per month for eating out, stocking up a bit, and cat supplies.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Our family of 4 spends an average of $400 a month on everything outside of regular bills like the mortgage, telephone, electric, etc. So that includes food, gas, birthday presents, etc. and means we really can not afford restaurants or all-organic food.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Looking at my excel sheets my flexible household expenses, which is grocery/entertainment/eating out/clothing/household stuff, is about $450 per month. There are 2 adults, 1 4 year old and a baby on the way that we've been buying some things for.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I know this is on the high end on this board, but I'll be honest. Groceries run us $500 or so a month and most household products are included in that. However, we take out $1200 a month in expenses, which also include bus/subway/taxi costs, the babysitter, money for eating out about 1/week, and entertainment stuff like museum admissions, hair cuts, everything else. I take $125 a week to the grocery store, and set aside the babysitter money, but everything else we don't account for how much goes to what. We take the money out every two weeks and if it's gone before the next money comes out (like this weekend, for example!) then that's it--no movies, no eating out, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Right now we have three adults and four kids living here. We spend about $120 a week on groceries and household supplies. So I'll call it $500. I've started only eating out with the kids when we go to the Science Center, so every two or three weeks. And that's just because I love Chipotle and I can feed us all there for $15.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We have two adults and two children.

We spend up to:
$300 on groceries

$300 on public transport, gas, oil changes, etc.

$200 per month on kids activities (art classes, nature camp, swimming/music lessons or whatever is going on at that time)

$100 on gym/pool membership (this probably sounds excessive, but on average dh & I workout 3 or 4 times a week and take the kids to the pool/basketball court 3 or 4 times a week so we really squeeze health/enjoyment out of that money)

$300 per month on other expenses such as gifts, meals out, fun money, saving for our annual vacation, having friends over, memberships to museums, clothes

We have a little wiggle room in our "spending column" because our set bills are pretty small (we don't have a cellphone, cable, car payments, high speed internet or anything beyond basic phone service, electric, and water and a pretty small mortgage for the cost of living in our area)

BJ
Barney & Ben

Phatius - we also have a membership to the Science Center in Baltimore as well as the Aquarium
My mom used to have one for Port Discovery which the kids liked, but it has been a little too rough/crazy the last few times we went so I decided to wait a little while to rejoin

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
If I understand the OP correctly, you're just talking all food and groceries, not the whole household budget? If so, we average $300 for all groceries (food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, cat supplies, everything), $100 for DH's work lunches, and $100 for eating out. Our family consists of two adults, a two-year-old, and two cats, and we live in rural central Illinois.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
There are two adults, two kids (age 5 and 8), one hamster, two large dogs and two cats (one picky) in our household. On all food items to feed us all and other related household consumables (like TP, tylenol, & tinfoil) including eating out, I currently spend about $325 a month. We only eat out once or twice a month.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Sorry, i forgot to post a real reply!

Yes, you could certainly cut down and not only survive, but eat well too. For example; if I increased what I normally buy by two more people at my current spending of $325 a month, that would be $81.25 more each... bringing my total budget to $488 a month. It really depends a lot on if you are willing to stop going out to eat so often and change your eating & shopping habits a little, but yeah, i think it can be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts