Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to learn a birthing method (like bradley or hypnobirthing) but my funds won't allow it (it's either doula or birthing class). what method can i reasonably learn through reading and practice?

·
Registered
59 Posts
FuzzyOne,
I don't know where you are, but often times hospitals offer birthing classes free of charge. If you're not delivering there, it may still be an option - I'd call and ask. Regarding your original question, I'm not going to be of much help.

Good luck! Samantha

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I would definitly opt for the Doula over the classes

I have never been to any childbirth classes before although I have entertained the idea, we just lived too far from them to go.

I would check with the hospital, but I have never seen free classes before.

Get some books from the library about birth. And read EVERYTHING!
I learned the bradley method from a book but it does not help if your Support person does not read it too. Still it is worth the read.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I think Bradley could be done with you and dp reading the books and practicing together and then maybe reading some other material about birth or asking questions here! We did Bradle and I could help with quetions

That said, are birth classes and doulas the same price there because here a calls is like $400 and a doula is like $1500!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
i want to learn a birthing method (like bradley or hypnobirthing) but my funds won't allow it (it's either doula or birthing class). what method can i reasonably learn through reading and practice?
My dh and I read Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Bradley. We never took a class. I firmly believe that if you are dedicated to the process, you can do it with no outside instruction. I practiced relaxation techniques like yoga breathing and "corpse pose". It worked really well for me. Also, I must add that it really does come pretty naturally, so when you are in labor, just follow your instincts. Best of luck to you!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts