Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, not a baby or toddler. I'm most interested in international adoption, but I'd be curious to hear about how your family adjusted, etc. with domestic adoption as well.

I look through adoption photolistings sometimes (did any of you do this? I find it slightly creepy, but I can't stop looking!), and I often find myself really drawn to older kids. I don't know dh would react, though!

Thanks, mamas!

· Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. It's very hard (for me) to find people who have adopted older children, so hearing your stories is very illuminating. I have done some research on the web, but most of the stuff I've found hasn't been of the personal anecdote type--more logistical.

If we decide to adopt, we would not be looking to do so for at least a few years. dharmamama...I have great respect for you for adopting an 11-year-old (I've actually followed your story for awhile), but I do not think that we feel prepared to adopt a child that old. I guess I was thinking more in the 2-5 year-old range.

Although we're not positive when or even if we'd like to adopt, we've (well, I've) done a lot of research to explore our options. We'd probably either do Russian/Eastern European adoption or Korea. For us, there are very strong pros and cons to each choice, so we're weighing those. For Russia/Eastern Europe (which, right now, is probably our most likely choice), children seem to be somewhat older when they come home (vs. Korea, that is) and there seem to be a LOT of toddlers/young kids in need of homes. My dh and I are both of Eastern European heritage (I have some Russian), and we have some ties there now (my sister owns businesses in 3 Eastern European countries and her dh is Polish).

But I digress. dharmamama...if you don't mind my asking, how old was your ds when you brought him home? How different was his adoption from Desta's? (Love that picture of him in the tutu, btw!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.