Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read that other thread about ridiculous things people have said to us about parenting, I keep thinking of examples of nice, supportive things people (especially strangers) have said to me. So let's share those, too!

I'll start:

Today in the grocery store, with DD in a kangaroo carry in her sling, at least 4 people stopped to comment about how happy and comfortable she looked.

In the bakery a few weeks ago I was carrying DD in my left arm and rummaging through my purse with the right while trying to buy pizza, bread, and cookies. The owners made other customers wait while one carried my stuff to my car for me while her husband opened the door for both of us.

At a restaurant last night the hostess asked where we'd like to sit and when I got us comfortable in the corner and DD (in the sling) was nuzzling her face against my shirt, the hostess said something about how it looked like a good time and place for the baby to eat her dinner, too.

I could go on and on. Maybe I'm lucky that I live in a very friendly place since I get very few stupid comments from people.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My grandmamma pulled me aside recently because I was irritated with people advising me against my AP style... and she said, "I wish I'd had the balls (my granny is kinda out-there) to ignore other people. I always did what people told me to with your mama instead of listening to my gut." I had almost decided AGAINST familybed, feeding on demand and wearing DS... her one little comment reinforced my belief in myself.

·
Registered
410 Posts
WONDERFUL THREAD!!!

When I was worried about dd's sleep, a wonderful public health nurse said not to worry as "Babies will do things when they are ready." This simple piece of advice has become my mantra. It has proven itself to be true in so many ways so when the insecurity creeps in about any given topic, particularly ap topics, I remind myself that dd will do ______ when she is ready.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I remember the day I brought DS1 home from the hospital. I was trying to nurse & milk was all over, it was a nightmare. My Aunt came over & looked at me. She knows me SOOOOO well. She said "Hun, there will be days you wish you never had the baby. We all feel it we just don't all admit it. You're not a bad mom for thinking it. It WILL get better." I burst into tears, I was sitting there thinking that. The lesson I took from that is "super mom" is a myth. I HAD to do my best, but that was enough.
And getting frusterated wasn't a sin.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I am one of the fortunate few who have extremely supportive, non intrusive in-laws. Both of my mothers in law (mom and step mom) were thrilled when I said that I would be breastfeeding. Step-mother in-law deeply regrets not breastfeeding ds#1, saying that she was young and stupid and didnt know any better. Those two women, along with my own mom and step-mom, have never once questioned our parenting.

I think the best advice given to us was MIL teaching us a good tight swaddle. It made life so much easier for all 3 of us that first month. And even to this day dd will have a "baby melt down" and a swaddle has been in order.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Two words: Babies Cry.
I remember how difficult those first few months were (he's only 5 months old, so it wasn't that long ago!) and what a shock to my system it was to be completely and whole-heartedly there for another human being around the clock. He was somewhat "high- needs" so it was neverending. I tried my hardest to always be right there when he cried, but one particular day I was so taxed and felt that I had completely lost myself. My friend said, "Babies cry" and I just let go of my feelings to control. I still answered his cries just as much, but didn't take it so personally anymore.

Wendi

·
Registered
343 Posts
Like a pp, I am blessed with a great mil! When my baby was a newborn, she told me to just sit around and hold her all day, hold her if she was sleeping if necessary, and not clean the house. Very supportive!

My mom is also awesome, and told me a lot of very helpful things. One of the best was, "Don't get used to habits etc that the baby is doing, because they are always changing." This has helped me a lot especially when I get frustrated sometimes with sleep stuff... and by the next week, it has totally changed!

·
Registered
922 Posts
The best thing that anyone has ever said to me is "she's such a happy baby!" Maybe it's her nature, maybe it's the nurture, maybe both! But, I take it as a bit of a compliment!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I took my baby on an airplane when she was 11 months old. The stewardess got us seated, then said "If she cries, that's just how she's clearing her ears. If other people seem annoyed, well they'll just deal. Babies cry."

And I frequently get told "that looks like a great way to travel!" when I'm carrying my baby in a soft carrier. A few times when she was around 5 months and I carrier her kangaroo style in a pouch, people asked if she was comfortable (she was often folded so her toes were in front of her face). Then the baby would happily blow a raspberry and start sucking on her toes...that usually got a laugh and a "well I guess she is!"

·
Registered
851 Posts
a few weeks ago i was with my husband and my baby and i ran into an old friend's grandmother at the supermarket. she said "if the baby cries, make sure to pick him up right away. some people think that picking a baby up when he cries will spoil him, but you cant spoil a baby!"

·
Registered
435 Posts
I generally look to my own mom as the measuring stick of what is "good" as woman, as a person, as a mother. When I was pregnant and experiencing a lot of frightening news from the doctors, my mom told me:

"All that baby needs is for you to love it and be healthy. All of this worrying is doing neither of that. You won't know anything until she's born."

I try to remember that in all things.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The best advice I ever recieved was posthumously from my great-great-grandmother. Her advice about babies was handed down to all of the kids and grandkids when they had their own babies. "They just want to be hold".

Perhaps it wasn't gramaticly correct, but it is certainly true.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I love this thread !

I was on a plane nursing my ds who was 2 yrs old at the time. A woman sitting across from me said: 'how nice that you are still nursing' She was so sweet.

It's amazing how someones' kind comment can make your day !

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've had a lot of people come up to me and comment ot on Jackson, saying what a happy baby he is, but one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me was my mom.
I was telling her about a situation where Jeff (DH) and I were chatting and took our eyes off him for a second (he was 17mo) and he turned on Jeff's table saw (all thoses red buttons
: ) Well, we both screamed and Jeff grabbed him, then DS started to cry in responce to our shock... but we got past it.
My mom told me that it was an accident and that happens and we know our child better than anyone else in the world and are great parents.
It was exactly what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
"I am impressed with your mothering" and "You're a great Mother" So nice to hear since most people just think I'm plain weird.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've gotten the comment several times "he is such a great kid" and although I know that is subjective, I love to hear it! I've also heard "wow, he is so well-adjusted" and that's great to hear as well because I know what a HN kid he's always been, and I sure did hear my share of negative comments and advice when I was slinging him and bf'ing him 24/7!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have one particular aunt who, almost every time we are around each other for awhile(family holiday or something) tells me I am a great mom
: I know she says it to the other moms too but it's always nice to hear. I htink sh ejust remembers from when her kids were little how much it can help to hear 'you are doing great!' and some magical ability to sense the most stressful moment of oyur day to say it.

It's really nice.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've actually had a lot of supportive/positive comments lately. The ped we saw in the hospital was very positive and happy that we didn't circ (he said something like, "Good for you for keeping him intact...I wish we'd see more of that). The LC I saw at ds's weight/jaundice check said it was awesome that I was tandeming. ds's ped was really positive about tandem nursing, too.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
A lady at church once told me how sweet ds1 is, and that it was obvious he received lots of love.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts