Mothering Forum banner

Spinoff: Who's *not* ready to be done?

897 views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  unitytree 
#1 ·
That would be me!!!!

Sure I'm getting the beached whale feeling but I'm just not ready for this little one to come. I still have a few things on the HB list to pick up (will be done this weekend) diapers to wash and our room and her room to organize!!! I still need to pick up some baby things, a bathtub among other things... Not to mention school starts in 3 weeks and dance for both DDs 2weeks after that!
:

Besides the fact that I'd like to make sure that she's good n baked before she comes out. From personal experience a 7&1/2Lb + baby is way more relaxing than a 6Lb baby (both were full term). Not to mention that my sister had a 28w preemie in May and my other sister's baby was a 6Lb 37weeker and well, I just need more time than that!

PHEW!

I know I'm not alone....
:

Heather

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not ready yet either. I'm just starting to hit the really uncomfortable stage, and my ulcer is slowly killing me, but I still have a list of things that needs to get done. Although, in 2-6 weeks I'm sure I'll be more than ready to meet our new little guy. I don't want him to bake too long, the midwife and I agree that he's already 6lbs and if I make it to 40+ weeks he'll be closer to 10lbs.

#4 ·
I like being pregnant. This will be my last child, so I'm in no hurry to rush this last pregnancy. *sigh* The little one will come when he/she is ready.

And I'm not sure I'm ready, I have to finish my job and the diapers and get the bedroom set up. Really, mentally I am ready, just the bits and pieces of 'life' aren't quite ready.

#5 ·
Well, I'm feeling so NOT ready in most ways. I'm feeling done with my sick feeling on days I'm feeling sick. Fortunatly they seem to be only 1 or 2 times a week.
Other then that whole aspect of life, I'm soooo happy that its cooling off around here. It probably won't be to many more weeks before we get frost during the night. This makes me soooo happy. Being pregnant during the heat makes me feel even more done!
I am kinda going..um, hold on a sec, I haven't been pregnant long enough to actually hold my baby.... I have so much to do and now that it prep time for fall/winter/harvest I thinking I need every extra day i can get!! I'm sure that in a few weeks when our loft is done and all our birthing supplies are ready and I have a freezer full of food I'll feel more ready.

So
for all the days when we feel done and
a little extra umph for all we have left to do!!!

#6 ·
I am not ready for this pregnancy to end since will be my last. It has also been such an easy pregnancy and I am even sleeping well; I just feel really good in general. I have a few more things to get done but not much since the nesting instinct kicked in early (just baby laundry and storing freezer meals). However, I am getting really excited about the birth and being able to meet this little boy. I am so totally in love with him already and cry every time I think about the upcoming birth....when I think of this then I am OK with the pregnancy ending soon...

#7 ·
well, days like today make me wish i wasn't pregnant anymore... but i am so not ready for this babe to come out!
we need to finish getting together a few more things and the house needs a good cleaning and organizing session. blahhhhhhh... i just want to take a nap!

#8 ·
For the most aprt I think I'm not ready. I keep telling baby that he can come anytime after the 28th. I'll be 37 weeks then. But the more I think about it, I think I might want him to wait longer than that too.

This might be our last child & I want to enjoy the last bit of time that will be just me & DS during the day. Plus the things I should get done before baby comes, but I am not too worried about those.

#9 ·
While I have lots of complaints right now, I'm definitely not ready to be done! I love being pregnant even with all the aches and pains and not being able to roll over in the bed and the crankiness LOL. Plus taking care of the baby is much easier when it's in my belly
. Another thing, I totally feel so sexy and beautiful while I've got this big baby belly. It's pretty much the only time I feel confident with my body and I'm not ready to give that up yet. I'm not looking forward to the post pardum dough belly!

#10 ·
I had two really good "pregnant days" with minimal pain and discomfort! I have hip dysplasia, joint problems and back problems so pregnancy always makes them worse. But the last few days have been grand!

Other than the heartburn.
:

I had my son around this point in pregnancy... and I'm much happier going to the end, wherever that may be.

#11 ·
Hmm see I'm really wanting to be done...

BUT in saying that a small teeny tiny part of me is still not ready... But thats more nerves... And I have this fear that I'm going to end up giving birth all on my own... Well, with the midwife, but with no support, like my Mother who lievs half an hour out of town, what if I can't get hold of her...?????? And she has my 2 little sisters who can't be left behind if its in the middle of the night......... And then what if I can't get hold of my friend whos the other person who's ment to be there...... Like what if her phones turned off or.... It just yeah... Freaks me slightly...... So a teeny tiny part of me maybe isn't so ready...... But the rest of me really REALLY is.

#12 ·
I'm totoally not ready. I love being PG, I don't want it to be over! Ok, ok, so I could do without some of the symptoms like heartburn and restless legs and swelling, but grand scheme of things, I love it.

There is still SO MUCH to be done before we are ready to have this baby. And since there's no word of a shoewr at all, we have tons of stuff we have to go buy.

I'm not ready to be done being PG yet.

#13 ·
I'm SO not ready. I actually like being pregnant (as the NP at the OB office says, "You're so good at being pregnant!"
) ....

Whereas, Ina was so allergic, so refluxy, was hospitalized as a result and dh and I actually took awhile longer than we'd planned, to conceive this next baby, simply because we needed to recover -- the first 9-11 months or so are a complete, sleep-deprived blur of panic for us.
And, we're planning for the same with #2 --- so I can wait. Not that we're not excited and happy to be having another baby, and looking forward to it ... but at the same time ...! We're "planning for the worst, hoping for the best," and if we have another little one like Ina, it's going to be Survival Mode for about a year, with a 3 year old added into the mix this time 'round.

On the 24th, I will be a month away from my due date. Ina was born ten days early -- so on the 24th, I'm cutting all dairy/soy/wheat/eggs/legumes/peanuts/treenuts/fish/shellfish out of my diet, and will be keeping those out of my diet 'til babe is 3 months old (hoping to avoid the stressness of allergies/reflux as bad as Ina had them, and weight gain issues she had too, by going this route immediately instead of waiting). I know it's best -- and will give dh and I both the most peace of mind -- but I'm not looking forward to it. Right now I'm just eggs/peanuts/treenuts/fish/shellfish free.

I need to talk to my OB and the Ped about the diet - Ped knows and approves, I think one of them will need to talk to the hospital cafeteria so my meals are safe on that diet (or dh will have to bring me food at meal times). I also need to talk to the Ped and OB about wanting to do delayed clamping of the cord when baby is born; the hospital about whether they're following the 2005 AAP bf guidelines for birth (last time Ina was whisked away for about 1 1/2 hours for her bath etc.) ....

Add in the fact that the to-do list has grown exponentially throughout this pregnancy (despite me trying to hack through it) --
-- I've got a lot of sewing projects to complete; Christmas gifts to buy or sew (I did this ahead for Ina (an Oct. baby) and was SO GLAD I did it, it's not my normal mode but it was the only way anyone got XMas gifts last time 'round) .... We're trying to get on top of years of filing/sorting/organizing of paperwork which has been done sporadically by dh and is to be "my" job now, and there are literally boxes left to go through (!!) .... A house to clean, etc. And a three-year old we'd like to have either in her own bed, or potty-trained, before baby arrives (but shows no prospects of either) .... Garden to take care of, and so on ... Meals to make and freeze (although I don't want to make too many just in case I end up not being able to eat something in them, anyway) ... the list just goes on and on. Pretty much I feel like I need to have things "ready" about 9 months out from the due date, so it's a lot to do. And I know I won't get it all done!

Gah. And I've actually felt like I've been "nesting" quite a bit since June!

#14 ·
elanorh: I don't want to hijack this thread, but wanted to make sure you've seen this thread. It's got lots of info & ideas about possible ways to reduce the chances of allergies. My DD is allergic to milk and soy & with this baby I've been taking Culturelle throughout the pregnancy. I've also been trying to eat at least one cultured food daily and avoiding overdosing on any particular food. I'm convinced that part of the reason DD is dairy allergic is because I ate soooo much of it during my pregnancy with her (each day I had 3-5 glasses of milk, cheese &/or yogurt with lunch, and lots of ice cream

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeosMama
And I'm not sure I'm ready, I have to finish my job and the diapers and get the bedroom set up. Really, mentally I am ready, just the bits and pieces of 'life' aren't quite ready.
This is exactly the way I feel! Physically and mentally I could birth this baby today, but I have a lot of practical things, errands etc that need to get done first!
:

#17 ·
A week or so later...

And I am still totally not ready! Reading lots, getting things gathered for the hospital bag, doing what I can to prepare... but I am so not ready yet, mentally or home-wise. I sitll have three weeks before my due date, though, and I have felt since the beginning I'd go well after my due date.

But I love being PG! I guess we waited for so long to TTC, that for so long I was planning, hoping and wishing to be PG, I just don't want it to be over too quickly!

Plus, baby feels like s/he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

#18 ·
I keep going back & forth. I keep telling baby he has to wait until atleast Aug 30th, so we can have the home birth. I keep thinking this guy will be early becuse DS was early, but who knows maybe this guy will be late & I'll quickly become miserable

I did have my 1st "I'm overwhelmed & I can't do this" breakdown last night. DS was fighting sleep & rolling around on the bed to stay awake & I needed to clean the kitchen badly, so that didn't help. My wonderful DH cleaned the kitchen for me, but hearing him doing it was just making me more frustrated, oddly enough. Today I am ok though. My homevisit with the mw is today so I think that is why I was stressing about cleaning more than anything. I've been very relaxed about the upcoming birth & last night was the 1st time I've questioned weither or not I'll be able to handle it.

#19 ·
K, the baby can come now! I like being pregnant, but it feels so much like there's a BABY in there. Like if I roll over on my belly it doesn't feel like I'm rolling on a mass, it feels like I'm rolling on a BABY! ha. Got everything done that I think needs to be done so I wouldn't flip out if I went into labor now. My brother's bday is Aug 30th, though, it would be kinda cool to go then. Or the Fri before Labor Day so that DH can have the long weekend with us. Both DH and I were born on Saturdays... wonder if this one will be also? That wouldn't be too bad.

One thing that isn't in order is saving money for maternity leave and paying for some extra stuff that went along with our little deer run in. But I so don't even care about money right now! Just wayyyy beyond caring at this point! Ha.

#21 ·
Still not ready yet here! Although sometimes the aches in my body make me feel like I'm ready, I'm really not! I mean if the baby came today we're pretty much prepared, but I'm not ready ready!! I still don't want the baby to come until after the edd, but ask me again in a few weeks.

We did a poll to see when our family thinks the baby will come. My sister picked August 31. I know it's irrational, but I do not want to have this baby in August just because of that fact. I know she'll be saying "told you so!" right after the birth and I don't want to hear it

#22 ·
Hi MovingMama,

Thanks for the link. I started reading that thread awhile ago and then quit - too much "stuff" going on in it at the time and I decided I wasn't going to wade through it as a result .... Now that I've read through it and seen the thread evolve, I'm glad I did read it. I think I stalled out in the first 2-3 pages, before.

I've been needing to find a dairy etc. free probiotic, so hopefully the Kirkman one works. I need to talk to a mom on another board I post at who has found probiotics which are Big-8 Free and had great success with them. I guess a big thing for me is that I feel like we eat very healthily and have good "gut flora" most likely, despite our family history of allergies -- maybe it's denial.
But quite a few of the other factors (i.e., ABX during labor due to my heart condition) were present ... so I have some ideas what to do differently this time, beyond the immediate elimination diet.

We had our 34 week checkup a couple days ago. It went well. No issues/concerns. I saw the NP instead of the OB or MW, she said they are fine with delayed clamping -- but the labor/delivery issue/questions I had about oxytocins during the fourth stage of labor, etc., she couldn't answer. She saved all my articles in the file so they could review them and discuss with me when I come in two weeks from now. And, the hospital said they could *absolutely* accomodate my diet, I just need to give them a list of the hidden terms for all the foods I'm avoiding (and, "the dieticians will want to talk to you about it I'm sure."). And, the OB nurse I spoke with became very defensive as soon as I showed her the AAP pdf (before I even opened my mouth), said that they do support bf and yada yada, each mother has to do it differently ... so I told her, "Hey, that's fine, I bf'd my first for 2 1/2 years - I just want to make sure that your policy supports baby staying with me and latching well before s/he is whisked off for bathing etc." -- and she said that they try to do the initial latch within the first thirty minutes after birth at the latest. So things have changed since the last time I was there!
Anyway, she said, "Just tell the nurse what you want when you arrive and they'll make sure it happens."

So I got a lot done, but there's more yet to do. One of my sisters is coming this weekend and I'm hoping that between the two of us, we can get a LOT of things done while still giving Ina enough attention/play time .... Here's hoping!

Still not ready to be done, for SURE!

#23 ·
ok, so part of me is getting really really impatient to meet this lil guy face to face, and also tired of being achy, emotional, having to ask people to help me do tasks - such as yard work and litter boxes - that i normally do myself, also tired of feeling like i move at snails pace ... oh, and the pants fiasco!!!

but, i have stuff left to do !!! i had a nesting phase fairly early in the preg and got a lot of projects done inside my home which was really nice. but as soon as the extended heatwave hit, my motivation left completely, just want to sleeeeeppp! so now at least i have more energy again! getting my house in better order - like organizing the mess of papers and such i've just let accumulate for waaay too long, CLEANING!!!, - and also mowed my own lawn a couple days ago which made me feel good in some ways but plum tuckered me out!! getting odds and ends stuff done like getting my 2nd hand breast pump checked out and buying misc replacable parts for it, got a couple nursing bras, shopping for carseat ... all good stuff. but there's still sooo much more to do!!!
need to get a chest freezer so i can start cooking good meals to then seal with my new food vacuum sealer but still havent had much energy to cook much ... so, for my baby shower people have been asked to bring home made freezable food as i dont need any baby clothes etc... wow, i could actually go on and on, but mostly just need to clean and organize i think .... then baby can come

#25 ·
I'm still not ready, either.

Things are coming together, I've done some shopping, we took a birth class, etc. but I amnot ready. Baby is so much safer and easier to care for in utero! And I love being PG. I'm reading and preparing for labor and delivery, I'm not too scared about that aspect, it's just that I think I'll be a little sad when this PG is over.

#26 ·
Still not ready here either!! This weekend we went to costco to pick up most of our food supplys n'such. I've got our birth supplies and the babies cloths in the house...although not "set up" how I'd like them. My Dh still has a lot to do in reno land and there are so many things I need to get done hinging on what he gets done.....ahhhhh.
Its odd though, I really don't feel like I've been pregnant long enough, it went by sooooo fast. I just about feel over when I heard it was the 20th.....
: I only have 5 more weeks and I'm going...okay, um....I need to get up an sew the rest of this baby hammock NOW!!! Fortunaly I'm in hard core nesting mode and am finally being productive. Lets hope it lasts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.