Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a book to help me with DD. She is very 'spirited' and strong-willed. We have a really hard time with her. Basically, I'm terrified to see what the teen years have to hold!

We found a book tonight called, The Sensitive Child. Anyone heard of it? I was on the fence between this one and The Spirited Child- or How to Raise the Spirited Child, I can't recall the exact name.

I feel more like she's spirited and moody but maybe she is hypersensitive. DH said that the cover of the book described himself!

Anyway, anyone read either or both?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Natalie, my son is also spirited and strong-willed. I LOVED Rasing Your Spirited Child: A guide for parents whose child is *more* intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. So much good advice, tips, insights, and a positive approach to these types of kids.

Haven't read the other one you mentioned, so I can't comment there. But I highly recommend the Kurcinka book!

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I don't use those words to describe my dc but they would completely fit. The Spirited Child book didn't give me much insight. Three books have really been useful to me:

The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them by Elaine Aron,Phd
(website: www.hsperson.com/pages/child.htm )

Raising Resilient Children by Robert Brooks and Sam Goldstein
(website: www.raisingresilientkids.com)

and

Playful Parenting by Lawrence Cohen (website www.playfulparenting.com)

They have helped me keep perspective on this wonderful kid I get to live with.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I call my son spirited or passionate! I really liked Raising Your Spirited Child.

I also liked another book by the same author (Mary Sheedy Kurcinka) -- Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mamas! I really need to find something to help me to understand her better. I feel like we're constantly butting heads and fighting- and she's not even 4! How can this be?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatalieS
Thanks Mamas! I really need to find something to help me to understand her better. I feel like we're constantly butting heads and fighting- and she's not even 4! How can this be?
She's her own little person and is letting you know. :LOL

Another vote for Raising Your Spirited Child here. Also How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen & How To Listen So Your Kids Will Talk helped us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another vote for Raising your Spirited Child. My dd fits the spirited description to a 't' so that book was very helpful. I checked it out from the library - I need to buy it though.

I have heard of the others recommended but have not read them myself - I'll have to check them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts