Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p><span class="messageBody">Mommies I need help...My DD has started this new thing where she takes a sip of whatever she is drinking and SPITS IT OUT. She could be at the dinner table, or sipping water from her cup in the living room, and she randomly spits it anywhere and everywhere. She thinks it's absolutely hilarious and I think it's just disgusting.  I have tried teaching her about spitting into the sink to give her an "outlet" for her spitting needs, but it doesn't help - She uses the sink when she brushes her teeth, but that's it.  I'm very frustrated and repeating myself that spitting is gross, and not to do it.  I tried asking a mommy friend of mine, and she instructed a well placed smack in the mouth would stop her from spitting - Worked for her kids.  ...  Yeah.  ...  Not gonna do that....I don't smack my kid, especially in the face  ...  Anyhoo, any advice?? </span></p>

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
<p>My DS does this. I have no answers for how to stop it. He does spit mostly in the sink now. I actually gave up trying to keep him from spitting. The more of a fit I had, the more he did it. I've noticed he now does it less since I don't say anything.</p>

·
Registered
114 Posts
<p>My DS did this at bedtime for a while (we keep a sippy by his bed in case he wakes up thirsty in the night).  It was a very short phase.  We didn't make a big deal out of it and he stopped within a couple weeks.</p>

·
Registered
594 Posts
<p>i have the same problem, its gotten a little better lately now that i just silently take whatever drink she is spitting away and put it in the fridge. i don't react *at all* while doing this and then i clean up the spit out drink quietly and with no reaction and go about my day. it has definitely been losing its appeal for her lately.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts