Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In previous years - who did what?
What are the ups/downs to each responsibility?

Are there "shifts" for when to be available on the LARGE thread/via email so that someone is always ready to help?

Do we create a email that we can check when "on duty" or use our own?

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Mostly it was done by PM last year, not by email.

First, we need a database and the database gets populated with MIN. Abimommy has suggested MDC will provide the database this year
MIN requirement is expected to be 1 year and 1000 posts.
* when a database page is filled out completely, there needs to be a way to manually make it visible to MDC members in general (not including visible fields)
* when the MIN has basic needs met (to be defined!) we need a way to manually move the MIN to "needs met". These database pages are still visible, just in a different location.
* I believe MDC has a plan for an anonymous Thank You thread this year. (?)

Quote:
Database:
"hidden info"
Full Name
MDC user name
Address
email address
blank field for facilitators to add comments

"visible info"
MIN number
State
blank field for facilitators to add comments
MIN's description of overall family situation (basically, an explanation of why they are a MIN)
Any allergies or sensitivities in the family?
Top 3 needs of family:

Children:
Pregnancy, if applicable
due date: month, year
clothing needed:
diapers needed:
other:

Child #1:
Age and gender:
Clothing needed (size, type)
Coat needed?
Hats/gloves needed?
Shoes/boots needed? (size, type)
Toy preferences
Book preferences

Child #2:
(etc.)

Adult #1:
Needs:

Adult #2:
Needs:
Last year, there were 3 ways for helpers to provide help:
1) click button on database page, and DreamsInDigital provided a mailing addy via email (this is expected to not work for 09)
2) PM a facilitator asking for a specific MIN's addy. Facilitator makes a note in the database.
3) PM a facilitator stating what they have available (size M dipes for example) and the facilitator picks a MIN and sends an addy. Facilitator makes a note in the database.

The facilitators were spilt into several categories last year:
* Gift cards
* Toys
* Clothing
* Canada

Each facilitator looked at the database and generated a list of unfilled needs in that category:

Quote:
Diapers:
100 VA dipe L
162 MN girl 7mo - new dipes only!
144 WI XL
128 OR boy L
That list is kept updated at a thread on MDC and is used to find a nearby (lower shipping cost) MIN for an available item.

Proposed list of facilitators for this year:
* Gift cards remove
* Toys and books
* Diapers/new baby supplies [sleeplessMommy]
* Coats/Hats/Gloves/Boots
* Clothing - kids
* Clothing - adults
* Canada
any other categories?

In general, I don't think we needs shifts - helpers will be OK with a 24 hour turnaround on requests for addy. Anything I am missing here?

· Registered
27,777 Posts
Hi, y'all

Quote:
Mostly it was done by PM last year, not by email.
Can we not do it all in threads in this forum since it's private? I really dislike PM and think it would be most helpful to keep everything on the boards here. Do you see a problem with this?

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Where the PM's come in:

Jane (an MDC member) has a box of baby clothing to donate. She PM's Sleepless (a facilitator) with the details of the box and her state. Sleepless checks the database, updates it, and PM's Jane with an addy.

Any details on how MDC will do the database?

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering if we have two contact points - ie. If you are a MIN pm Facilitator 1 with your questions, If you are a Helper pm Facilitator 2 with your questions. I'm thinking along the way, but is this not something that happens a lot? I could be reaching at straws?

Also - I think the TY thread would be great if we could add in the ability to have MIN # - some TYs were vauge last year and I could not tell if it was from MIN I helped. Maybe a thread with one post for each MIN and the TY Facilitator (or any facilitator) really edits the post to add in the TY from that MIN when it comes in?

· Registered
5,300 Posts
KMM - a good point about having an MIN facilitator! I have updated the list:

Proposed list of facilitators for this year:
* Gift cards remove
* Toys and books
* Diapers/new baby supplies [sleeplessMommy]
* Clothing - kids
* Clothing - adults
* Canada
* MIN contacts (contact to clarify needs or make sure promised items have arrived
* GUI coordinator (if something is offered and there is not an obvious MIN to send it to, the GUI coordinator can post it on the "GUI" list

any other categories?

· Premium Member
41,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post

Any details on how MDC will do the database?
We can just do different threads for each person or which ever in order to coordinate that. We can always add another forum to help organize.

We assign numbers and then use those for the board rather than identifying information. Then we could have different threads on the HH forum using the ##s but no addresses given until a package is ready to be mailed.

We could also try and coordinate a little by geographical area in order to reduce carbon footprint, or does that seem too difficult?

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it would be great to have a Facilitator-only forum where we can start threads - and have a thread at the start linking like we've done in the past for things like type of item (link to who has those) and make another list in that directing thread that has geographical area - it's up to the helpers to choose one close to them but we give the *idea* option.

I like having a thread for each MIN and have the facilitators add the Thank You at the end of that thread - that way when a helper Mom replies on the thread or via pm she wants to help - she has a choice to go back to that same thread and watch for a thank you
OR link on that thread when that MIN's Thank You has been posted on a Thank You only thread?

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it can all be here - with Facilitator ones hidden obviously.

I think it can be done all in thread format with the exception of maybe a google spreadsheet (like excel) for only Facilitators to keep track on? It could be confidential and keep everyone up to date with columns about MIN address, help offer, TY recieved and posted, etc.

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My next question on that list is who that helped last year in each position wants the same position again - I think it's logical to give priority to helper Mamas who want to do the same thing because they know it.

I think being GUI coordinator sounds super fun, as does managing a Thank You thread that links back to the original thread-per-MIN so that givers can KNOW that Thank You is from their gift....but if someone did parts of it last year and wants to do it again....well I'm obviously not going to argue experience over excitement.

· Premium Member
3,060 Posts
I think having it here on a thread would be helpful. It seems to me that a PM box seems to get filled pretty quick with this sort of thing, and for those of us who are not MDC supporting members, we only get 50 PMs (I think). Unless the mods temporarily increased our PM allowance...

I'd be more than willing to help out where needed, but the toys and books facilitator looks interesting - I'm a book freak myself.
Would also be willing to help out with the thank you thread.

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Welcome all!

2009 Facilitators:
* Toys and books Tradd
* Diapers/new baby supplies sleeplessMommy
* Kids clothing
* Clothing and gifts for adults
* Canada Weliveintheforest
* MIN contacts (contact to clarify needs or make sure promised items have arrived
* GUI coordinator Kailua (if something is offered and there is not an obvious MIN to send it to, the GUI coordinator can post it on the "GUI available" list

Onemagicmummy, do you have a preference for which job you would like?

Once HH starts, you can expect your PM box to magically increase to 1,500 capacity. It happened last year anyway.

· Registered
27,777 Posts
I planned to give all the facilitators complimentary supporting memberships and/or extend their existing supporting memberships as a small thank you...so no worries about PM capacity

I'm really interested in trying to keep things as local as possible. Do y'all see problems dividing FIN into broad geographic areas to help the donors seek out the FINs closest to them to reduce shipping distances and to tread as lightly on the earth as possible? I mean, I don't want to outright discourage someone from donating cross-country, but I would like to encourage keeping things as local as possible, if that makes sense?

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Many of the "helps" are arranged by having a helper PM a facilitator with what they have available, and the facilitator finding the nearest FIN. About half of the helpers, though, prefer to send by flat rate priority and actually don't care about distance for this reason.

Carbon footprint wise, I think we are OK with cross country shipping - if you compare long distance shipping of USED items to the manufacturing footprint of NEW items. Your concern is environmental or ???

· Registered
27,777 Posts
Quote:
Many of the "helps" are arranged by having a helper PM a facilitator with what they have available, and the facilitator finding the nearest FIN.
Thank you for helping me understand how it has worked previously
Do you think it would work to copy/paste these PMs in a thread in this forum so we can have a record of what's going where?

My concern was trying to keep things as local as possible. If items can be shipped closer to home, I think that makes more sense from an environmental standpoint, so I'm glad to hear this is addressed by attempting to find the closest FIN to the donor.

· Registered
5,300 Posts
Last year I received over 1000 PMs ... with the replies I made, I had to delete older PMs/replies several times.

Each FIN will have a thread in the facilitator forum, and we will update that thread with what is going where, and who the helper is.

· Registered
5,300 Posts
The Plan so far:

2009 Facilitators:
* Toys and books Tradd
* Diapers/new baby supplies - sleeplessMommy
* Coats/Hats/Gloves/Boots - Britishmama??
* Kids clothing - KatieDJ
* Clothing and gifts for adults
* Canada Weliveintheforest (need one more)
* MIN contacts - Kalisis (contact to clarify needs or make sure promised items have arrived)
* GUI coordinator - Kailua (if something is offered and there is not an obvious MIN to send it to, the GUI coordinator can post it on the "GUI available" list

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I propose the following additions (in red):

2009 Facilitators:
* Toys and books Traddand medicmama
* Diapers/new baby supplies - sleeplessMommy and tuansprincess (alternating newborns - Tuans in October and Sleepless in December so each can help one another out)
* Coats/Hats/Gloves/Boots - Britishmama
* Kids clothing - KatieDJ and Theoretica
* Clothing and gifts for adults Hollycrand
* Canada Weliveintheforest and HollysMom
* MIN contacts - Kalisis (contact to clarify needs or make sure promised items have arrived)
* GUI coordinator - Kailua and TiredX2(if something is offered and there is not an obvious MIN to send it to, the GUI coordinator can post it on the "GUI available" list

Incoming MIN Work is for the first week of October - Kulia and KatieJD

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.