Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these midwives? They are the ones covered by my insurance:

Provider Name: Flores, Flora, CNM
Specialty(ies): Midwife
Address: 1603 North Belt Street, Spokane, WA 99205
Phone Number(s): (509) 478-7060

Provider Name: Shields, Catherine R., LM
Address: Deaconess Women's Clinic, 1603 North Belt Street, Spokane, WA 99205
Phone Number(s): (509) 473-7060

Provider Name: Bentley, Kathleen, LM
Address: Deaconess Women's Clinic, 1603 North Belt Street, Spokane, WA 99205
Phone Number(s): (509) 473-7060

Provider Name: Bradley, Sharron, CNM
Address: 508 West 6th Avenue, Box 7, Suite 500, Spokane, WA 99204
Phone Number(s): (509) 462-7070

Provider Name: Ewert, Valerie A., CNM
Address: 910 West 5th Street, Suite 510, Spokane, WA 99204
Phone Number(s): (509) 747-1055

Provider Name: Holt, Sara E., CNM
Address: 820 South McClellan, Suite 116, Spokane, WA 99204
Phone Number(s): (509) 838-4211

Also if you know of one that isn't listed I wouldn't mind a referral.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I'm betting your insurance wouldn't cover my midwife - especially because I'm across the border, but I'd suggest giving her a call (Inga Arts, 208.772.2823) and asking her opinion. I had a fantastic homebirth with Inga, Jessica and Susie in May, and would totally trust their opinion of other midwives. Good luck!

Lanna

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by corwinegall
By law you don't need a referral for anything womanly related. I *think* that means you can go to whoever you please, even a homebirth midwife
I have a PPO so I don't need a referral. It was more of a term to say please recommend someone for me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Aimee,

I've been researching too! Might need one soon....
All the CNM's you listed only do hospital births, yes?
If you are looking for a homebirth midwife, besides Dayspring, I've been in touch with

1) Margaret Lipton 509-433-0190 (she's the only CNM who does homebirths in the area to my knowledge)

and

2) Cathy Weston 208-773-9420 she is a CPM but also an RN and used to attend births with Tamy Roloff who was so well loved before she moved

There is also a birthing center in Spokane with two Lay ? Midwives who practice together.

R U Preggie?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Aimee, is there something you'd like to tell us???????? Did you get more than just a dog?

I think Debi had a bad experience with Flora Flores. I can't remember, but I know I've heard her name + bad experience.

All the ones on North Belt are right by my house though.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL No I am not pregnant yet. I have to time it so that I am not too pregnant to travel in May when the next Star Wars convention happens. I am a risk analyst so I plan everything. I want to find a midwife and talk with her and Steve so he feels more comfortable about homebirth. I was born at home so to me it is no big deal but to him doctors are the end all be all although he is coming around.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fireflies~for~me
Hi Aimee,

I've been researching too! Might need one soon....
All the CNM's you listed only do hospital births, yes?
If you are looking for a homebirth midwife, besides Dayspring, I've been in touch with

1) Margaret Lipton 509-433-0190 (she's the only CNM who does homebirths in the area to my knowledge)

and

2) Cathy Weston 208-773-9420 she is a CPM but also an RN and used to attend births with Tamy Roloff who was so well loved before she moved

There is also a birthing center in Spokane with two Lay ? Midwives who practice together.

R U Preggie?

I guess they do hospital births. From what I understood you can still homebirth regardless of where they are listed. I haven't called anyone yet. Where we lived in CA you could do hospital, home or birth center it just depended on what you preferred. I guess I assumed it was the same here.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote:
Provider Name: Ewert, Valerie A., CNM
Address: 910 West 5th Street, Suite 510, Spokane, WA 99204
Phone Number(s): (509) 747-1055
Valerie is a very sweet woman, but she works through a hospital, and may or may not be present at your birth, depending upon her work schedule (if she's working during your labor/birth, she'll be there; if she's not working during this period of time, she won't be there).

Quote:
If you are referring to the birthing center with Linda Marks, I'd strongly suggest avoiding her and going with the other midwife (Beth). Linda Marks was just prosecuted and found guilty by the state of Washington (this is not the first time) for negligence. I just sent an email to the Washington State Department of Health, asking for information regarding Linda. If they send me any information, I'll post it (I believe that practitioner records should be available on the web).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I started out my last pregnancy with Sharon Brandley. She works along with Sacred Heart Hospital, and when I was seeing her, her office was in the Sacred Heart Doctors building. The visits with her felt the same as going to the doctor. I know some people who have used her and been fine.... I ended up switching to a home birth midwife named Linda Marks who I was very happy with (and my cousin has had three children with her help and been very happy).

I would opt for Linda Marks over Sharon any day if you are open to a relaxing home birth.

(Edited to add that I see there are still some issues with Linda Marks)... I myself would not hesitate to use her again, so I recomendation of her stands.

·
Registered
510 Posts
All of the Midwives on your original post are CNM's who will only do hospital births. If you do end up going that direction I would definitely do it through the Women's Clinic at Deaconness hospital. They seem to have the best results for women wanting a natural birth in the hospital.

I started with Sharon Bradley when I was first pregnant before I decided on a homebirth. I reccommend going with her if you want a homebirth because she will surely push you in that direction
!!!! She is just like a doctor - thinks epidurals/drugs are fine.

I birthed at home with Tamy Roloff who is now gone, but Cathy came as her assistant at the very end. I loved her and if I have a midwife at my next birth (maybe UC!!!) I would not hesitate to hire her - she was AWESOME!

I have heard mixed reviews on Linda Marks. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. I don't think you can CHOOSE to use her partner, Beth, at their birth center...you just get whoever happens to be on call.

If you want to PM me to talk more about all this I would be happy to share with you everything I can about the whole homebirthin' scene in Spokane.

Good luck - Kristin

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon
LOL No I am not pregnant yet. I have to time it so that I am not too pregnant to travel in May when the next Star Wars convention happens. I am a risk analyst so I plan everything. I want to find a midwife and talk with her and Steve so he feels more comfortable about homebirth. I was born at home so to me it is no big deal but to him doctors are the end all be all although he is coming around.
Heehee, that's almost exactly what I did last year - interviewed midwives (well, just the one because I loved her and didn't see a need to find anyone else), got a non-preggo pap, and got (sorta accidentally, but sorta not) knocked up a few months later.
Have you used the financial aspect with your dh? We had Alex at Sacred Heart, vaginal, no drugs, etc., but they stole him off to the NICU to make an extra $15K-$16K off us. Grand total was $25K (more than my annual pre-tax salary then) and we ended up paying $5K out-of-pocket. Our total for Nick was less than $2500, and insurance paid about half of it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon
Really? Then how do I get out of paying the out of network cost?
I'm not sure, but like Lanna mentioned, a homebirth 'out of network' is probably still cheaper than a hospital birth, depending on your coverage. I know people have had their homebirths covered, their insurance sent a letter saying pretty much '...only because by law we HAVE to cover this...' Because Washington State law says they have to cover anything womanly related (I'm sure its worded better than that, lol), so I don't think it would be considered 'out of network'. I'd find a midwife, get Steve to be okay with a homebirth, submit whatever you need to your insurance and see what happens. They might try and fight it a little at first, but I don't think they can refuse to cover it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RidentMama
*snip*
If you are referring to the birthing center with Linda Marks, I'd strongly suggest avoiding her and going with the other midwife (Beth). Linda Marks was just prosecuted and found guilty by the state of Washington (this is not the first time) for negligence. I just sent an email to the Washington State Department of Health, asking for information regarding Linda. If they send me any information, I'll post it (I believe that practitioner records should be available on the web).
Wow, I'd heard stories about her, but I'm usually wary of rumors. Please do post if you get any information.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
One more thought...
If your dh is *really* worried about a straight-up homebirth, Dayspring (Inga) has their own birthing center. There's gotta be another birth center somewhere in Spokane if my little town has one (heh, I could bike to the office if I wanted to).

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmonter
Heehee, that's almost exactly what I did last year - interviewed midwives (well, just the one because I loved her and didn't see a need to find anyone else), got a non-preggo pap, and got (sorta accidentally, but sorta not) knocked up a few months later.
Have you used the financial aspect with your dh? We had Alex at Sacred Heart, vaginal, no drugs, etc., but they stole him off to the NICU to make an extra $15K-$16K off us. Grand total was $25K (more than my annual pre-tax salary then) and we ended up paying $5K out-of-pocket. Our total for Nick was less than $2500, and insurance paid about half of it.
My birth from conception to delivery was $250. I have REALLY GOOD insurance. I didn't even have to pay co-pays.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corwinegall
I'm not sure, but like Lanna mentioned, a homebirth 'out of network' is probably still cheaper than a hospital birth, depending on your coverage. I know people have had their homebirths covered, their insurance sent a letter saying pretty much '...only because by law we HAVE to cover this...' Because Washington State law says they have to cover anything womanly related (I'm sure its worded better than that, lol), so I don't think it would be considered 'out of network'. I'd find a midwife, get Steve to be okay with a homebirth, submit whatever you need to your insurance and see what happens. They might try and fight it a little at first, but I don't think they can refuse to cover it.
I'm one of those who got 'out of network' coverages. It was no hassle, I just got a referrel from my family doc. It does say in my 'letter' that ..."as state law requires health plans to offer a benefit for such service...will authourize coverage...". I'm responsible for my copays. Total of $120 tops. I'm seeing Cathy Weston and highly recommend her. I also interviewed Dana Combest but she's farther away so I went w/ who was closer. Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Okay, here is what Washington State's Department of Health emailed to me:

Quote:
Thank you for your public disclosure request pertaining to Linda Marks. The Washington State Department of Health has currently two different credential holders with the name of Linda Marks. The first is a Linda H. Marks with the credentials as a Registered Nurse and as a Registered Counselor. The credential numbers are: RN00041173 and RC00017298. This Ms. Marks has no complaints against her license. The second Linda L. Marks is credentialed as a Midwife and her license number is MW00000174. She has currently one open and two closed complaints. In regards to the open complaint under RCW 42.56.240(1) and RCW 42.56.240(2), this information is not releasable until a decision to close the case is finalized or an initiating document is issued. You may request this information at a later time. On the two closed complaints copies of the legal documents are available online at: www.doh.wa.gov click on the Provider Credential Search and follow the instructions. If you need more documentation, please be specific with your request and provide me with your mailing address and phone number.

Sincerely;

Sibylle Oatney
Public Disclosure/ Records Coordinator
Department of Health
Public Disclosure Unit
So I followed her instructions and came up with the following information: Credential Lookup Results for Linda Marks, Midwife

You can access both of the closed cases at the link above.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.