Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my midwife recommended that I used sposies for the first week of babies life because the meconium is so tar like and hard to get out? We are thinking of doing this. What do you think?

·
Registered
832 Posts
We did. Not the whole first week. Just the first 3 days until his poop was nice breastfed baby poop. I know some people just use liners to protect their diapers while the meconium is passed.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I'd rather "shout it out" later than put a newborn baby in paper underwear. I just can't imagine living for 9 months inside the cozy womb of Mama, then you're born and someone sticks scratchy paper on you. ( My sincerest apologies to my firstborn son for doing this. We hadn't considered cloth diapering yet. I hope he's enjoying his new BumGenius
)

Get some inexpensive prefolds and some nice covers. If you really don't want to work at getting the stains out, just wash them and use them for cleaning purposes/garage towels. Then after the meconium has passed, use your "nice" diapers

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've read on this board before, (sorry no search function to bring it for ya) that there wasn't a problem with merconium staining dipes, that it cleaned off quite nicely. Hopefully that's true and some other women chime in about that later on.
: I'm anxiously waiting for more responses now!
-Di

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Definitely no need to use sposies!! I did not find meconium to stain anything, and it only lasts for a few days at the most until the intestines are cleaned out. What I did, personally, was cut little liners out of microfleece to lay in the newborn diapers. If you made a bunch of those, it would run you like 5 dollars, save your beautiful newborn dipes, and prevent you needing to buy any sposies at all! HTH!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Don't use sposies! You have all those CDs use them!

Meconium washed up easy peasy for us.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We used disposables in the hospital, but as soon as we got home (after 2 days), we used cloth. We didn't have any staining issues, and even if we had, it wouldn't have bothered me. I find that with prefolds, eventually, everything comes out of them.

Anyway, I won't hesitate to use prefolds from the beginning again this time around.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
We used size 0 kissaluvs the first week and the meconium came out with a soak in Bac Out. Wipe baby's bottom with olive oil before putting her in the diaper, it helps keep the poo from sticking to everything, including her.

·
Registered
872 Posts
We used cd from the very beginning and they didn't stain at all. BF poo sure does though. We did find taht the cloth wipes (just baby washcloths) weren't very effective at getting the tarry mec out so we did use disposable wipes for the first few days.

Shelley

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just another thought. Who cares if they stain? Am I the only one who thinks this way? They go on her butt! Well we jsut use prefolds, so maybe if we had some nice pretty dipes, I'd feel differently. But I didnt care if they stained!

SHelley

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I never had a single meconium stain --- now breast fed poo - that's another story!
If we used your midwife's logic, we would use cloth diapers only during the meconium phase since it doesn't stain and then we would have to stop because breast fed poo definetly can stain. But we just won't use your midwife's logic.

Amy

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We used sposies for the first couple of days for the meconium, but only because we were sent home with the little pack from the hospital. I wouldn't buy them myself, personally.

This time, we don't plan on staying more than 24 hours (we had a wonderful and supportive experience, I just want to get home to my other little one). So I don't know if I'd even bother with the sposies at the hospital or just bring our infant prefolds with us. I know that some cheap fleece remnants cut up are great liners now for when we need diaper rash cream - I'm sure they would work great for the mec., too.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
We used disposables for the first few days and I was glad we did. I didn't feel like I had the energy or desire to do laundry for at least a few days after birth.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We used disposables for the first 2 weeks because I had enough on my hands with the newborn, an almost 2 y.o. toddler and healing from a 4th degree tear. That said, if staining is your only concern, I would echo what everyone else has said. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My midwives always recommend using them for the first week...but I think it's because they think you may be too tired or overwhelmed to deal with cloth. I, personally haven't found that it stains. Nor would I want to put nasty chemicals on my brand new baby's sensitive little bum. If you're really concerned about stains- use liners.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I actually just cut up some old t-shirts and put those in to catch the meconium. But I forgot for a few of the dipes and believe it or not, it washed out just fine. Couldn't even tell. I had a harder time getting the yellow poo that followed out.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My dd's EBF poo stains...seriously though, the sun is magic. Even if the meconium does stain, I'd just sun it out. Easy easy. But, if you're not feeling up to laundry the first week, that's ok too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.