Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>It's your week, <strong>LadyLilya</strong>!!  I've posted your intro below, but feel free to tell us more. Let the questions begin!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>* EDD: Midwife told me today March 10 (I've been rounding way up to April to take the pressure off at the end)<br>
* Name: Leigh<br>
* How long it took to you to get your BFP: first try, just like last time<br>
* What number child is this for you: 2<br>
* Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): DH Danil, 3yo DS Rostik<br>
* Baby's gender (hopes or guesses): no clue!<br>
* Names you like (& are willing to share): if it is a boy Vladimir, if it is a girl Zorana<br>
* Birth plans/preferences: homebirth</p>

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>What beautiful names you have for your son and for this baby!  Can you tell us about why you chose them?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What made you relocate to NC?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Will this be your first homebirth?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are you still rounding up to April?</p>

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
<p>What do you miss about NYC?  What DON'T you miss?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are you Russian/of Russian descent? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
<p>Do you celebrate any upcoming/current winter holidays?  If so, what are your favorite family traditions?</p>

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
<p>So sorry everyone!  My Grandma died on the second, and I didn't come back to our DDC for a long time.  I just got back from NY yesterday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">What beautiful names you have for your son and for this baby!  Can you tell us about why you chose them?</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>We know now it is a girl.  And we've changed our girl name.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My husband is Russian.  Russians use a lot of foreign names.  For example, my husband's name is Hebrew.  His sister and father have Greek names.  We wanted to use actual Russian ones.  Some of the name meanings are kinda cutsie, and we didn't want that for a boy, so our additional requirement was that the boys names have a more masculine meaning.  Also, we were planning to go back to my husband's home to live, so we took into consideration how popular names are there at this time.  But having a weird name myself, I wanted it to be a name that at least Russians would recognize as being a name, and know how to pronounce and spell.  And I wanted one with a nickname I like.  (So many of them have the nickname Slava, which I hate.)  Plus my family had to be able to say it, or a variation close enough.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So we named DS Rostislav, which means "grows with glory" and is very rare but still recognized as a name.  Rostik for short.  Rosti for non-Russians.  They end up pronouncing it more like Rusty, and Rostik seems to have no problem understanding all the variations are meant to refer to him.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We couldn't agree on another boy's name that fit all of the rules, so we had decided on Vladimir which fits all the rules except the one about not being popular.  But I hate the nickname Vova, which is the most common one.  So we decided it would have to be Vlad.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then suddenly half way through this pregnancy DH decided to throw away the rules.  So, we started over with girls names.  I looked through thousands of names and came up with a list, then DH pared it down.  We had about 8 names on the list, but whenever anyone would ask us what names we were considering, we couldn't remember any of them except one.  So we figured that has to be the right one.  So the name is Oksana.  We've been using it, so DS can get used to the idea of another person.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">What made you relocate to NC?</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>We knew for a long time we didn't want to stay in NY.  I mentioned above that originally DH wanted to move back to where he was born.  That would have been in April 2008, if I recall correctly.  But after I made all sorts of plans, and got rid of so much of our stuff, he chickened out.  Part of my reason for agreeing to go was the change in lifestyle.  Rather than live in a dirty little isolated box, we would be living with family in a big house in the country with clean air and water, and grass and trees all around.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So we talked about what sort of living environment we wanted.  We did some research.  Then we decided to check out this area.  We flew here in May for a vacation.  We liked it.  So he started looking for a job.  He found a much better job, for a company in much better financial shape, and earning much more money.  So we moved.  I really like it here.  The only thing missing is our families.  But, my parents had been looking in the same area.  None of us had said anything to each other, but when we told them we had booked a vacation here for May to check it out, it turned out they had scheduled a trip for the week before ours to look at some property.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The only thing holding my parents back from moving here was that my grandmother needed them, and was too old (93) to think it worth moving.  But now they are planning to come visit next month and look around at property.  My MIL also is thinking her company will be letting her go in the next round of layoffs.  They are outsourcing more and more, and the set of actual employees is getting more and more tiny.  So she's thinking they might move near us.  She would definitely prefer a more rural area, like where she grew up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">Will this be your first homebirth?</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>Nope.  DS was born at home on our couch.  It was just me, my mother, and the midwife.  It was a very uneventful birth.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>Are you still rounding up to April?</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>I have been telling people March 17, which is when I believe my due date should be.  I have a pretty good idea when I conceived.  But mostly, I know when I stopped preventing, which was at around day 21 of the cycle.  So when I am asked my LMP, I add a week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not too worried about going overdue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was actually getting a lot of whining from SIL, who is afraid I'll give birth on her birthday and she will have to share it.  Her birthday is April 7.  SIL's daughter is March 27, and I am March 30.  So by saying March 17 it stopped all the fuss about worrying if the baby will share a birthday with anyone.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">What do you miss about NYC?  What DON'T you miss?</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess just having family around.  Though after this weekend being around them, and seeing what an emotional wreck DH and DS get around MIL, I am kinda glad we don't have to see them much these days.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't miss the traffic.  I don't miss how long it took me to get anywhere.  I don't miss what an ordeal it was to try to get out anywhere to have a social life.  Where I am now, it takes much less time to get anywhere.  The roads are wisely designed, for the most part.  Traffic is rarely an issue.  And there is a wide variety of stores all over.  My favorite grocery store takes me 10 minutes to get to, and there are probably 5 others between my house and there.  It used to take me half an hour each way where we lived before.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also don't miss the cramped housing.  I like having a lot of square feet, and a lot of storage space.  And a big yard.  I like that DS can open the sliding doors and walk out onto the deck and walk down the steps into the yard, and do it all by himself.  I like seeing green out of all of the windows all the time.  I like not having to drive around for half an hour to find a parking spot within a few blocks of the house.  I like not having to hear my neighbors beating each other up.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">Are you Russian/of Russian descent? </p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not at all Russian.  My husband is.  He came here when he was 15, from Crimea.  It is technically part of the Ukraine now, since the Soviet Union split, but most of the people where he lived were Russian and spoke Russian.  He did learn Ukrainian, though, in school.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-left:0px;">What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>I've got a thing for french toast.  I like sweet, eggy things.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<div>Do you celebrate any upcoming/current winter holidays?  If so, what are your favorite family traditions?</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>We've been celebrating two Christmases.  The one on Dec 25th with my family, and the one on Jan 6 with DH's family.  But DH's family makes a bigger deal out of New Years, as was typical in the USSR when they were growing up.  They do the tree and presents for New Year, and save Christmas for the more solemn stuff.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My mother's side of the family, that we are closer to, is Italian.  So Christmas Eve is the feast of 7 fishes.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My mother always does a big Christmas Eve thing at her house.  Then Christmas Day is saved for visiting friends and family that are nearby.  The last few years, that means my father's sister.  But when I was a kid, we visited her for lunch, and my parents' best friends for dinner.  But a decade ago they moved to NC (about 4 hours from where I live).  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And when we were much younger, we would go Christmas morning to help out at the senior citizen center across the street.  We would help prepare the food and set up the tables and decorations.  And sometimes we participated in entertaining them.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For this year, I'm not sure yet what we are doing for either of the Christmases or for New Year.  I don't necessarily want to cook 3 big fancy meals, each a week apart.  I guess we will talk to our families on the phone to open presents.  All the presents I sent have been received, and I received from my parents.  MIL says she still isn't done, and will probably just send gift cards.  </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts