Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>aidenn, it's your week to shine!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Tell us more about yourself - what's your favourite thing to eat?  Favourite colour?  What do you like to do in your spare time?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How is your older child reacting to the upcoming baby?  Are you nervous about moving to two?</p>

·
Registered
686 Posts
<p>Hi everyone!  I've really enjoyed reading others' spotlights, so I hope mine lives up to the expectations!  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was born and raised in Southern California so all of my favorite foods are authentic Baja/Mexican foods.  With both pregnancies, I've craved homemade tamales (mine are so-so, unfortunately!), enchiladas, fish tacos, etc.  It's really hard being away from "home" not only because of missing family, but because of missing my food!  We are fortunate, however, to have 2 REALLY good mercados here that sell most of the ingredients (and sweets) that I miss from my childhood, so they've seen a little more of my patronage in the past few months!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My favorite color is green.  I really like to be surrounded by natural colors - forest greens, terra cotta browns, ocean blues.  I love to view most colors in the spectrum, but when it comes down to it, my wardrobe and home has been described as "earthy" by more than one person.  I tend to get stuck in a rut, which is not altogether a bad thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In my spare time, I love to sew, paint,  read, and can jellies and sauces for family.  I read a LOT of socially influenced non-fiction (NERD!) about subjects like consumerism, the class divide, credit issues, and the like.  As far as crafting, I am starting work with mosaic and encaustic painting and I am finding both to be peaceful and challenging.  I never pictured myself as being very domestic growing up, but I feel that I've really blossomed as I've become older.  I work out of the home full time, so space and time for my private endeavors are limited, but I find a half hour at the sewing machine is more relaxing than a half hour in the bathtub.  We do "only homemade" Christmas for gifts outside the immediate family, and this is the first year Maiya has been able to help, so it's so delightful to work with her in all these activities that I love.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maiya's absorption of the new baby is limited, I think.  She knows there is "a baby in Mommy's tummy" and we watch homebirth videos on YouTube about 2x a week to see if she might be able to handle being in the house during the birth.  She seems really interested and always wants to help "change" her baby dolls and the like, so I have hopes she's okay with it.  Tom (my DH) is staying with her for the birth though if it proves to be too much.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am totally petrified about having a second child.  I was an only child and LOVED it.  Tom was the middle of three and LOVED it.  So when the conversation initially came up over "should we have a second child", I was ambivalent at best.  What if Mai was like me and really would prefer to be an only child?  My parents weren't wealthy growing up, but since I was only one, I could use the resources to take horseback riding lessons and show in 4-H (both of which I loved and did competitively).  I hate that feeling that I might have to tell Maiya "no" to riding lessons because Jeni needs braces or something.  Tom insisted that he never felt slighted by having siblings and they always have lots of stories to share at the holidays, and I'll admit, as an adult, sometimes it gets a little lonely with no collective memory of my childhood.  My parents always have a different take on the situation, and maybe a sibling wouldn't have been so bad...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When we had Maiya, we were told we couldn't get pregnant (I've got irregular cycles and Tom is diabetic, which they say causes low sperm count in someone in his stage of the disease), so we figured we would leave it up to chance.  We would not "try" for a child, but we wouldn't avoid relations at any time of the month either.  So, on Tom's 40th birthday, we got a *surprise* BFP and I've been happily nervous ever since!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So thanks for listening to my wild emotional dumpster there!  I've really enjoyed getting to know everyone over the past 7 months!!</p>

·
Registered
236 Posts
<p>This was really fun to read!  I love these spotlights!</p>

·
Registered
960 Posts
<p>i have also missed food from home this pregnancy! when we visited my family, i tried to fill up on all of my favorites from ohio, but i didn't make it to ny and i still feel the void (which quickly opened back up for the ohio foods anyway....)</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts