Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1)lol..where did your user name come from?

2) Does your baby have a personality, what is it?

3) Whats been your weirdest craving?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
1)lol..where did your user name come from?

2) Does your baby have a personality, what is it?

3) Whats been your weirdest craving?
Oh yay-- it is fun to have a turn. Thanks for doing this, Lindsay!

1. Pretty dumb, really. Alice Truck was a very short-lived nickname that I had a long time ago. So I made up my username without really considering it when I signed up for MDC right before I got pregnant with my first. I'm the same on TBW.

2. Hmm. This one moves so much, so I am thinking he/she must be pretty feisty. And opinionated-- I get lots of rib kicks if I hunch over now that baby is head down. We had our first (hopefully only) sono this week, and I was surprised not to feel particularly connected to the baby on the screen. I guess I prefer feeling to looking right now.

3. I don't think I have had any truly weird cravings. I have had moments of being obsessed with Thai food, but that is really just an amplification of my non-pregnant cravings. I have found myself putting mustard on things a bit more. Which is probably also just an amplification of normal. I think it is very interesting when pregnant women crave non-food items, as in pica, but I have never experienced it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hello!

1) What are your birth plans?

2)Will your daughter be at the birth?

3)How many kinds do you see yourself having?

4)Do you like to travel, and if so, where?

5)How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

·
Registered
715 Posts
1. Where were you born/raised?

2. What peice of advice would you give a FTM?

3. How has your daughter been adjusting to your pregnancy? Does she "get it" ?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SequoiasMom View Post
Hello!

1) What are your birth plans?

2)Will your daughter be at the birth?

3)How many kinds do you see yourself having?

4)Do you like to travel, and if so, where?

5)How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Hi Robin!
I keep hoping to run into you guys.

1. I am hoping, hoping, hoping for a homebirth. We planned this with Ingrid as well, but my water broke at 34 weeks, so she was born in the hospital. I have a midwife, and we are proceeding as if I will make it to 36 weeks, but I have recently started being monitored by a perinatologist. So far so good, though I have had a few episodes of lots of braxton hicks, and have had some cervical change. The peri is very positive about it all, and says no restrictions. Basically, I am really trying to visualize my homebirth and do my best to make it happen, but simultaneously be okay with a hospital birth. Ugh.

2. I don't know. I would love it if she were, but just not sure how she will do with seeing pain and having me not give her attention. I am hoping that the answer becomes more clear to me as I get closer. I am probably going to have my mom be with her and play it by ear.

3. I think 2 is going to be it. I am 38. If I were 25, I think 3 might happen. I just think 2 is more realistic, especially when I think about things like getting back to travel, etc. Somehow, I was more sad about the idea of only 2 when my daughter was little. Now I guess I can see the advantages of not being in "babyland" and moving on to new phases.

4. I love travel. Love it. One of the things I am most passionate about. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East (lived in Beirut for a year) and have also traveled many times to the Balkans. I like places that are off the beaten path a bit as far as tourism goes. We have traveled a little with Ingrid (Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, plus domestic travel) and want to do more with the kids. I really want to go someplace like Ghana with them, but we will probably wait until the youngest is something like 5. Our first trip with 2 will probably be to NYC in August for a good friend's wedding.

5. That is tough. I will go with generous, determined, opinionated.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts

What do you like the most/least about being pregnant?

Is this pregnancy similar to your first or different?

What is your favorite thing about being a parent?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybunny65 View Post
1. Where were you born/raised?

2. What peice of advice would you give a FTM?

3. How has your daughter been adjusting to your pregnancy? Does she "get it" ?
1. I was born in Oklahoma City, but we moved to Austin when I was 6. I lived here through college, spent 9 years in NYC, 1 year in Beirut, Lebanon, and have been back here for almost 3 years. I consider Austin my hometown.

2. Assuming, I am giving advice to an AP parent-- try not to make your child your sole focus. Not good for you, not good or fair to a child. This is one of the many reasons I am looking forward to our second child being here- I think there will be more balance in our family. Nothing wrong with your child being the most important thing on earth to you, but that doesn't have to be what the child feels every moment of the day. Balance, balance, balance.

3. She has become a bit more interested. When I first began to explain to her that there was a baby in my belly, she would look at me and say, "No." Now she likes to chat about it briefly, will pat my belly, hug the baby, etc. She "knows" the baby will come out when it is big enough, but does she really have any idea what is going to happen? I don't think so. Hopefully, we still have some time. She does not watch television, but I think I will show her some birth videos on the laptop or something at some point. She also likes the book "Hello Baby" about homebirth.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

What are you most looking forward to about having a newborn again?

What is your favorite thing about being pregnant?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey,
What was your favorite thing about living in NYC?

What's your favorite thing about living in Austin?

What's your favorite memory either from your daughter's birth or from her infancy? (or both)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

What do you like the most/least about being pregnant?

Is this pregnancy similar to your first or different?

What is your favorite thing about being a parent?
Most- Just the knowledge that I am growing a whole person inside of me. Women's bodies are so amazing! I enjoy pregnancy.
Least- Aside from stressing about preterm labor stuff, probably being so emotional. It was worse last pregnancy, but I really struggled with being so sensitive, bursting into tears at the slightest thing. I hated feeling so out of control.

Similar in many ways. I had very little morning sickness and have felt pretty good both times. Very few aches and pains ever. I have been a bit less emotional this time, and actually less tired, which floors me, because now I am chasing a toddler. I rarely ever nap, even though I could most days because my DD still naps. The main thing that has been harder about this pregnancy is having preterm labor fears, which I didn't have last time. I know I sound like a broken record on this point.

My favorite thing about being a parent--- being privileged to know, watch, and connect with the greatest kid ever. Of course, I am completely biased, but it just amazes me to watch her grow up, change, figure things out. It is just such an amazing ride and I can't wait to see what happens next.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by haren.13 View Post
Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

What are you most looking forward to about having a newborn again?

What is your favorite thing about being pregnant?
I don't know if we are having a boy or girl. I had an unexpected ultrasound last week, and had always maintained that if I ever actually had one, I would just have to find out, with the info right there. When it actually came down to it, though, I didn't want to know. We closed our eyes when the tech scanned that area. I guess I just wasn't ready to "give up" the other gender. Of course, on the way home, I was asking my husband and midwife if either of them had peeked, hoping for a little info.

I also really didn't like having the ultrasound. It felt wrong, like an invasion or something. It did not help me feel more connected at all. It is kind of nice to know that baby appears fine/normal, though.

Probably snuggling and sniffing that little baby head, falling in love. Seems impossible that I will fall as hard for this baby as I did for my daughter, but I know that I will! Such an amazing experience.

I think I just gave my favorite thing in the post above, so I will choose another good thing... feeling all of the kicks and rolls and other movement. This baby moves so much more than my first. I love having that little connection that no one else feels.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vonn's_mama View Post
Hey,
What was your favorite thing about living in NYC?

What's your favorite thing about living in Austin?

What's your favorite memory either from your daughter's birth or from her infancy? (or both)
Aside from my friends, probably the energy of NYC. Even though I lived there long enough for the excitement to wear off, there was still this energy while walking around, people everywhere that was sort of electric. I also really miss the food. And being able to walk so much. We actually live in a pretty walkable area for Austin, but it isn't the same at all, everything is pretty spread out, hardly anyone else is walking, etc. I also really miss the food. We have good mexican food and good BBQ here, both of which I really appreciate, but most other cuisine is a bit lacking.

My favorite thing about living in Austin is probably the people. I also like the weather and the ease of living. Lots to do for a medium sized town. I love that homebirth is pretty common, the AP community is huge, etc. I think this is harder to find in NYC.

Favorite thing from my daughter's birth- I actually enjoyed parts of the experience, even though I was unexpectedly in the hospital. I found the contractions very manageable and was really able to just let go and not fight them (which is sort of strange considering that while I was waiting for contractions to start, I was a sobbing mess, wishing that there was any way that I could get out of having a baby today). I was just completely amazed at how my body just took over and did it. The other indelible moment was when I reached down after she came out and touched her for the first time.

Favorite thing from her infancy- bringing her home not quite a week after she was born, and the 3 of us finally lying on the bed together as a family. Walking around and around the neighborhood with her snuggled in a sling.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Hello,

Can you tell us the story of the picture in your signature? What sortof carrier is your daughter in? (I love that picture, BTW. When I am having a rough day, feeling like I don't like being pregnant, seeing the pics of peoples little ones makes me feel SO much better.)

Do you work other than raising your child?

How long have you been married? What's the best thing about being married to your DH?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Do you have any hobbies?

What do you hope to do with your children once they are older?
I guess I really don't have any hobbies. I have in the past, but nothing that has ever stuck long term. I had a hat making (crochet) phase, for instance, but then we moved to a warm climate, and I sort of lost the motivation. I have been really into exercise in the past. Maybe I will come up with a new one once the kids are a bit older.

I hope to travel with them, for one thing. My husband works from home and can work from anywhere with good internet. Several times, we have gone somewhere overseas for extended periods, and he has just worked from there. We want to go somewhere every year for at least a month, though we ended up not going on a big trip last year (planned trip to Brazil fell through, and we just never got it together to go somewhere else). Hopefully, in 2009. As the kids get older, this will be more and more exciting. Sometimes I toy with the idea of homeschooling, but I am not sure if I am cut out for it or not.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
What will be the sleeping arrangement once the new baby gets here?

Have you made decisions about school for your kids?
Sleeping arrangement. Good question. Ingrid is almost 2.5 and sleeps with us. We have a king, but there is no way we are going to be comfortable adding a newborn to that mix. I am constantly surprised at how crowded a king sized bed can feel! Our plan is to get a twin and put it next to our bed. I suppose we will see if Ingrid wants to claim it as her own, but if I end up in it, I really don't care- I just want space. We need to get one soon. I have been combing craigslist to try and get one that has already done its off-gassing thing.

School. No real decisions. I would love for the kids to go to Montessori, as I did as a child. I am really not sure if this is financially realistic. I am looking into Ingrid starting a very part time program (2 mornings a week), which I am still not sure about, but it would be so nice if that were happening when the baby comes. We are not on any lists, which is problematic, nor am I wanting to send her full time or every day. Not a ton of options with those parameters, so we will see what actually happens. And I really need to explore homeschooling. It sounds overwhelming to me right now, but maybe when I have kids who are a bit older, it will not feel so difficult?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eli's mama View Post
How did you find MDC?
Do you like being pg while having a little one to care for?
Are you having any weird cravings or aversions this pregnancy?
I found MDC when we decided to try and get pregnant the first time, and I was looking for info on how to do that. I used to read Mothering magazine when I was younger (teaching preschool), so I was drawn to it.

Being pg when you also have a toddler is pretty different. The first time, I was able to focus on the pregnancy so much. Last time, I was only working part time, and thought very carefully about everything I ate, exercised religiously, took lots of naps, read tons of books and birth stories, etc. This time, it has been much more of a blur. I go to prenatal yoga twice a week, which is really the main time that I focus on the pregnancy. I feel really lucky that I am not super exhausted all of the time, etc. It has been easier than I had worried it might be. SO, I suppose I like it, but it is not as special and magical as the first time, I am much more distracted.

Weird cravings/aversions. Not really. I crave Thai and Vietnamese. I was pretty disgusted by vegetables in the first trimester, but that went away, fortunately. The texture of raw spinach was just appalling to me.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by femalephish View Post
Hello,

Can you tell us the story of the picture in your signature? What sortof carrier is your daughter in? (I love that picture, BTW. When I am having a rough day, feeling like I don't like being pregnant, seeing the pics of peoples little ones makes me feel SO much better.)

Do you work other than raising your child?

How long have you been married? What's the best thing about being married to your DH?
I took that picture one afternoon late summer or early fall last year, when my daughter was probably around 22 months. We were walking to the coffee shop near our house (about a 5 minute walk). Ingrid is not wearing a shirt, because she was in a phase of not wanting clothes on. I struggled with her over it for quite a while. I even remember saying, "We are not going to the coffee shop until we put a shirt on." which I obviously did not stick by.
The carrier is a mei tai, Beanslings is the brand-- a great carrier, btw. You can use for front or back carries.
Here is the site to buy these:
http://www.beanslingsandseats.com/
I also highly recommend Bamberoos.
http://bamberoobaby.com/
I have continued to wear her while pregnant, but much less often and I am using a stroller more.

I don't work. Not sure when I am going back. If we don't homeschool, not until the new baby is at least 2 or 3. I'd like to not have a child in full time care until at least kindergarten, but we will see.

We have been married for not quite 3.5 years. We have been together for over 10 years. Besides his companionship/love, the best thing is that he is always so supportive. He is a truly good person/father.
:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.