Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to get to know Happyblessedmama!

What are your hobbies?
Do you have time for them with three young children?

What did you do before you had children?
How did you meet your husband?

Tell us about the town you live in, what you like about it and what you'd love to get away from.

Whats your dream vacation?

What kind of birth are you hoping for with this pregnancy?
What were your previous births like?

How are you feeling?
Have you told your children that you are pregnant?

How did you find Mothering?
Have you learned anything since being part of the message boards?

We're looking forward to finding out more about you, Happyblessedmama!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hello Happyblessedmama! Welcome the fun and entertaining spotlight thread!

Ok, to start off.........

Do you have any pets?

Are you an only child?

How many children would you like to have?

Will you find out the sex of this little one?

Who have or haven't you told about this pregancy?

How did you tell your dh?

I guess that's it for now.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Geez Sandy, copy paste much?

What's your first name?
What are your current favorite names for this one?
What are you calling the bean in your belly for now? Any cute/cool/embarrassing nicknames/codewords?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yea Sandy! Whats up with that,dude

mkay here are my questions:

How old are you?

Do you like sushi? (yes i will ask that of everyone
: )

Do you like cooking?

What are some of your favorite dishes that you make?

Why do I ask about food a lot?

Do you have a favorite scent/smell?

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Is there anything about you that we would be surprised to learn?

What is the most daring thing you have ever done?

Have you been to other countries? If so,where?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hey, I figure since those questions haven't been asked on either thread than this is the only time I could take the easy way out and copy and paste it!
This DDC is VERY active and you do whatcha gotta do!

·
Registered
630 Posts
What are your hobbies?

sewing, photography and reading

Do you have time for them with three young children?

Sewing is pretty hard with the kids any more; but photography is a must and reading can happen late at night... I love books

What did you do before you had children?

Well... I had my first baby at 20 and was working as a front desk/graphic design person at an advertising/publishing agency. I quit college after 1 semester and worked to put my husband through school so he could finish his degree in 2.5 years instead of 4.

How did you meet your husband?

We met in high school english class in 10th grade

Tell us about the town you live in, what you like about it and what you'd love to get away from.

Alrighty... I live in a rural/isolated community about 40 miles inland from the Bering Sea in western Alaska. We are not on the road system, meaning that to get in or out you have to fly or take a boat. Anchorage is about 400 air miles east of us and that's the biggest city in teh state. Our town has about 6000 people. Things I love - the rural lifestyle, getting out on our boat, fishing, just being very close to LOTS of nature the minute you want it. Things I don't like - the long, extreme winters. It's OK for parts of it, but we have a good month or two at -25 or more and that gets really old. The cost of living is very high. Those are my main gripes!

Whats your dream vacation?

Hawaii or Italy, all inclusive, with my husband only LOL - we don't do babysitters here so the kids are always with us

What kind of birth are you hoping for with this pregnancy?

a very calm, naturaly unmedicated birth. We "have to" do a hospital one since we aren't going UC or flying to Anchorage. I'd like to arrive at the hospital, push baby out, and go home as soon as they will 'let' me.

What were your previous births like?

I had one very difficult hospital induction (for no reason... young and stupid) with an epidural, vacuum extraction, episiotomy, tough recovery...

my second baby was an easy unmed hospital delivery, lots of fun (we had family there in the delivery room)

my third baby was very hard - under 2.5 hours from first ctx to delivery. We had planned to deliver at a birthing center but had to transfer to the hospital due to thick meconium. Baby developed bad retractions and such after delivery, was born not breathing (first apgar 2) and was in the NICU for 12 days. Because of that I'm not really willing to go over my due date with this one.

How are you feeling?

sometimes great, sometimes the morning sickness is WOW... I try to keep going because that's the only way to do it!

Have you told your children that you are pregnant?

The oldest one told ME... but I'm not really stressing it or talking about it to them because of the wait time. They're not patient! I think it's abstract to them right now. My oldest son (4 in October) probably wouldn't get it and my 1.5 year old wouldn't get it either.

How did you find Mothering?

I heard about it over on parentsplace.com back when they existed

Have you learned anything since being part of the message boards?
lots! I love the Birth & Beyond board for all their info on pregnancy and labor stuff. I have long pushing stages so I like to know the how, why and what of it all.

Do you have any pets?

does a betta fish count? That's it for us now!

Are you an only child?

I have 1 brother

How many children would you like to have?

we're open to as many as come our way. This will be our 4th in 6 years. We consider kids a blessing and plan to accept whoever comes along.

Will you find out the sex of this little one?
nope!

Who have or haven't you told about this pregancy?
my husband and my closest local friend; my mom. That's it. We aren't going to tell anybody else until it becomes physically obvious and/or we see them in January (nice surprise). We just like keeping it to ourselves a bit.

How did you tell your dh?
Nothing exciting... he was in the shower and I came in laughing telling him I took a pregnancy test. He knew.

What's your first name?

Christine

What are your current favorite names for this one?

For a boy we like Aidan... girl, pretty clueless. We think this one's a boy.

What are you calling the bean in your belly for now?

We're calling it Gnnk (like gooonk). That's what our first son called our second son the first time he met him (he was too young to talk when #2 was born) and since then we've just called all our babies Gnnks. Weird, huh?

How old are you?

Do you like sushi? (yes i will ask that of everyone )

LOVE it

Do you like cooking?

yes

What are some of your favorite dishes that you make?

I make a lot of salmon since we catch it ourselves. I love Asian and Middle Eastern foods; I love to make different kinds of breads including homemade sourdough... mmm!

Why do I ask about food a lot?

cause you're pregnant & hungry? LOL

Do you have a favorite scent/smell?

fresh air

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

coconut

Is there anything about you that we would be surprised to learn?

my political tendancies can be quite conservative - but I'm still nice, I promise LOL

What is the most daring thing you have ever done?

Gosh... I guess all my crazy skipping school stuff in high school. I'm a pretty calm person and met DH when I was 16, so I'm not very wild & crazy in stunts LOL

Have you been to other countries? If so,where?
I've been to Canada's British Columbia and all through Yukon Territory on our honeymoon

What have you laughed out loud about lately?

just about everything offers something to laugh at to me lately

Are you showing with this pregnancy yet?

I'm kinda sucking it in... but I'm getting fluffier

What's your favorite colour?

green

What is one thing that you hope to teach your child?

To treat others with respect and sincerity and the value of living a simple life

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
at the risk of sounding like an idiot- I was really fascinated by your story and your lifestyle. How amazing that you catch salmon!! I have to like, dig through packages of salmon at a supermarket to try to figure out if its really wild caught

The way i grew up though is very close to how you live now, so i can identify!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hi Christine! I have a few for you!

What are you reading now? What's your favorite book?

Where you live sounds absolutely beautiful. Did you grow up in the town you live in now, or did you move there as an adult?

What is your favorite childhood memory?

·
Registered
170 Posts
How big is the town where you live?

How close are the closest neighbors?

Do you have words you live by?

What is your favorite book and how many times have you read it?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hi Christine!

What kind of music do you like to listen to (your choice, not the kids'
)?

Have you ever made salmon jerky?

·
Registered
630 Posts
What are you reading now?
Wow, I love reading and always have a ton of books around... Right now I'm reading The Thieves of Baghdad by Matthew Bogdanos; about the recovery of items from the Baghdad Museum after looting and general civil unrest in Iraq

What's your favorite book?
I have to pick just one??! Hmm. I really like the (unabridged) Count of Monte Cristo. It's some 1400 pages long but a beautiful book.

Where you live sounds absolutely beautiful. Did you grow up in the town you live in now, or did you move there as an adult?
I've lived in Alaska for all but 2.5 years while DH was going to school; but we've only lived in this town for 3 years. Before that we lived an hour north of Anchorage in a very much "civilized" regular town.

What is your favorite childhood memory?
Hiking trips with my family into the Alaskan backcountry; exploring abandoned mines in the hillside... crazy stuff

How big is the town where you live?
about 6000 people. We are a regional hub for Western Alaska and the surrounding villages with about 23,000 people in them (total).

How close are the closest neighbors?
I have a regular next door neighbor and live in a neighborhood... we have no trees here, we're on the tundra, so it's closer than I'd like to be honest

Do you have words you live by?
I just try to be kind and make the world a nice place to be in

What is your favorite book and how many times have you read it?Favorite book - Count of Monte Cristo... read it many, many times.

What kind of music do you like to listen to (your choice, not the kids' )?
Late 90s/Top 40 stuff. pretty boring

Have you ever made salmon jerky?
hmm... we've made "strips" which are like drying salmon with seasonings... we do the smoked salmon at home thing too.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What are your DC's ages?

Are you religious?

Do you catch salmon just as a hobby or professionally?
(Salmon is my most favorite food - only store bought in Georgia...)

·
Registered
630 Posts
What are your DC's ages?
My oldest son is 5, born 2/6/01; my younger son is 3.5, born 10/23/02, and my daughter is 20 months, born 11/27/04.

Are you religious?

yes, I'm a practicing Catholic

Do you catch salmon just as a hobby or professionally?
We have what's called a subsistence gillnet. It's not commercial fishing and we catch only to feed our family and friends (we eat plenty of regular food too, but wild salmon... mmm LOL). Alaska Dept of Fish & Game regulations for areas that are rural like ours say that people fishing for subsistence (to feed themselves/family/etc. vs. selling to processors) can catch without limit. Boating is a hobby; fishing is just for fun (and food).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wow, I know you've talked a lot about the salmon but it just sounds so good to me right now!

Will you homeschool or will your kids go to public school (or something else)? (not sure here if your oldest is in school yet)

Besides the hobbies and stuff you've already mentioned, what kind of stuff does your family do for fun?

How has this pregnancy been different/the same than your previous pregnancies?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Alaska, neat! My DH wants to go there someday.

How warm are your "summers"? How long do they last?

What did you go to school for (for the one semester)? Do you want to eventually return?

What's the last project you sewed? Do you make clothes for your little ones?

Which states have you been to? (or if it's easier, which states haven't you been to?) Which state would you most like to visit and haven't yet?

What shade of green is your favorite? Are you more key lime or hunter?

Does your family live close by? Are you close (relationship-wise)?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Will you homeschool or will your kids go to public school (or something else)? (not sure here if your oldest is in school yet)

our oldest son is set to enter public Kindergarten this year. I'm really not a "public school" kind of person but after a lot of hard decisions this is what's best for him right now. I'm leaning towards homeschooling our other kids. Depends on what they need.

Besides the hobbies and stuff you've already mentioned, what kind of stuff does your family do for fun?

We are outside a lot; take walks; pick berries; just go off on boat trips, go upriver and have barbecues on random beaches... during bad weather we read, play, talk. Pretty "normal" family stuff.

How has this pregnancy been different/the same than your previous pregnancies?

This is #2 out of the 4 for morning sickness, though at times this has been worse than with my daughter (#3). I am hoping I am not sick all 9 months like I was with her.

How warm are your "summers"? How long do they last?

This summer has been unusually cool. We are in the 50s; but normal Alaskan summers you hang out between 60-75 most of the time. The ice went out on our river at the end of May; September it starts to frost again, we usually have snow in October.

What did you go to school for (for the one semester)? Do you want to eventually return?

Biology. I had more credits because of advanced placement classes... but either way... if I was a "career" person I would've ended up in a lab or medical field somewhere. But I consider my kids my career. No plans to go back. My mom did that when I was a kid and I feel it negatively affected our family... so you could say I have 'issues' with doing that to my own family.

What's the last project you sewed? Do you make clothes for your little ones?

I made a Desiderata wall hanging for my dad - by request. I'm no good at clothes - I do decorative stuff and embroidery all by hand.

Which states have you been to? (or if it's easier, which states haven't you been to?) Which state would you most like to visit and haven't yet?

I've been to Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Texas and Oklahoma. Not very exciting huh? I'd love to go to Hawaii sometime.

What shade of green is your favorite? Are you more key lime or hunter?

The kind I'm using for the text in this post is pretty sweet

Does your family live close by? Are you close (relationship-wise)?

Both DH's and my family live about 400-460 miles away in Anchorage and the Mat Su Valley (where we used to live). We have to fly on a plane to see them, and that gets expensive with a family our size... so usually people will come see us. I'm very close with my parents.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do you have any goals or have you already reached them?

If you can choose anything for your children to experiance while being young what would it be?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What's your favorite thing about the age gaps that your children have? What's your least favorite thing about how they are spaced?

If you could go back in time and observe anything in the past, what would it be?

Are you enjoying The Thieves of Baghdad and would you recommend it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts