Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spotlight thread for LaBruja!

What is a spotlight thread?

A spotlight thread is a thread where we ask questions of another DDC member and read & respond to her answers. It's a fun way to get to know other DDC members a little better.

How do I get a spotlight thread?

What kinds of questions can I ask?

Whatever you like -- silly, weird, personal, you name it. The person being spotlit gets to decide whether/how to answer.

Looking forward to getting to know LaBruja a little better!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a few questions to start off with:

Of what are you especially tolerant?

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Do you have pets?

Do you like short stories?

Do you "get" poetry?

What's your favorite scent/smell?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Of what are you especially tolerant?

Hmm...children making noise, I guess. I grew up with nine siblings, so over the years I got pretty good at just tuning out :)

What makes you lose patience the fastest?

Just off the top of my head, and because of issues at work right now, I'd say someone who continues to lie, even when you know he is lying and he knows that you know he is, but because he's like ten pay grades above you he knows he'll get away with it.
duh.gif

Would you rather be cut off in traffic or have someone else take credit for some bit of work you did?

Hmm...honestly, I hate both, but being cut off in traffic usually scares me as well as making me angry, so I guess I'll go with the second option.

What's your favorite material for clothing to be made out of?

Depends on the season. In winter, I live for months at a time in my wool tights and undershirts (don't worry, I have more than one set, and I do wash them!). In the summer, I like linen or cotton...I guess overall I just prefer natural fibers, as synthetic textiles kind of scare me AND make me itch.

Do you have pets?

Sadly, no, unless I can count the alligator lizard living under the strawberrry planter on our porch
orngtongue.gif
. We're renting and don't really have time/space/money for animals (I'm jealous of your goats, sheep, and chickens, Hykue! Not the donkeys though. We had one when I was little and she was the most evil-tempered beast I've ever encountered. She terrorized me).

Do you like short stories?

Totally depends on the author. Hate some, love others.

Do you "get" poetry?

Er...I think so? Haha like the short stories, I guess it depends on the author...there are definitely some that I truly love, and others that I just don't get at all. My husband writes poetry for me pretty frequently, so it'd be worrisome (and sad!) if I wasn't "getting" it!
love.gif

What's your favorite scent/smell?

Really good food - of all kinds - cooking is always lovely. Newborn babies. The air in the old-growth forests here. My vegetable garden on a hot day. And, for some reason, the little gunpowder engines used in model rockets...is that weird?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I like your answer to the "intolerant" question! Funny.

Are you a person with one or two close friends, or lots of friends who aren't bosom buddies?

Have you ever done something to your appearance that was a little wild? (dye job, tattoo, etc.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you a person with one or two close friends, or lots of friends who aren't bosom buddies?

Definitely more of the one or two close friends type...this is maybe kind of sad, but I just feel like I don't really have the time or energy to maintain relationships with people who aren't really kindred spirits, KWIM? My best friends are actually my own four wonderful sisters.

Have you ever done something to your appearance that was a little wild? (dye job, tattoo, etc.)

Well, once I tried to dye my hair a chocolatey-auburn color, and it turned out more of a dark eggplant purple
orngtongue.gif
, but I guess the most drastic thing I've done on purpose was cutting off all of my elbow-length hair...not terribly wild or exciting.

Do you enjoy traveling? What places are on your must see list?

I LOVE seeing new places and I always really enjoy road trips, but I kind of hate flying. I don't really have a "must" see list because I don't want to be disappointed in myself if I never make it to all of them, but I would love to see Switzerland, Iceland, Istanbul, Sicily...lots of places. Honestly though, just exploring the beautiful mountains where I live is enough for me right now.

What is your favorite season? Why?

Hmm. This is a hard one...ALL the seasons are my favorite when they start, but I'm usually tired of them by the end. If I had to choose though I would probably say fall, because I love the changing colors and the snap in the air, harvest-time, snuggling up in front of the first crackling fire in the wood stove...I love the sense of the world around me getting all tucked in and cozy in preparation for winter.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stealing pi's questions, because they're good ones . . .

How did you pick your username?

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How did you pick your username?

It's a nickname my husband gave me not too long after we met...loosely translated it means "witch" or "sorceress"...someone who casts spells (I'm sure he meant only good ones)
love.gif

Tell us a little about where you live. (Be as vague or as specific as you like.) What do you like about it? What brought and/or kept you there?

I live in a little house in a tiny little town about five minutes from the entrance to the stunning Mt. Rainier National Park, in Washington state (I am also lucky enough to work year-round at the park...pretty sure I've got the most gorgeous commute EVER). I love it here...the mountains, the rivers, the old-growth forests, everything about the area combines to make it a place where my heart and soul are at peace. I love that it's a place where we can grow almost of all our vegetable and fruit needs all summer, and that there are beautiful, clean, glacier-fed rivers to swim and canoe and fish, and that I have an entire national park wilderness area to hike and camp and explore in. I love the sheer abundance of wild food resources available to us...morel mushrooms in spring, chanterelles and matsutakes in the fall, along with both red and blue wild huckleberries, and the trout and salmon in the rivers. We're only a couple of hours from the coast and the lovely Pacific Ocean, so that's pretty awesome too. What brought me here was a job, and what keeps me here is...well, everything I just listed above!

This is what the mountain looks like today...

If you had to choose, would you rather have a two week camping vacation or a weekend in a luxury hotel?

Camping for sure. My husband and I are outdoors every chance we get, and I absolutely love exploring wilderness areas. Plus, I get bored really quickly in hotels
orngtongue.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.