Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to Lunamegn's spotlight thread!!!

Lunamegn, I am so excited to be hosting you! I read in one of your other posts that you live in Reno. I live in Quincy!! I feel like I'm hosting a neighbor! Ok, on to the questions:

How long have you lived in Reno?
Do you have family nearby?
Where did you grow up?

How long have you been married?
Where did you and DH meet?
What was your first date?

Do you have a job?
If not, what was the last job you had?

What is your favorite book?

How is this pregnancy going for you?
Any cravings or aversions?
What are your birth plans?
(I read in your siggie that you have a 20-month DS) Are your birth plans this time different from last time?

Have you been to any countries besides the US?
If so, what is your favorite? (Or, if your favorite place is in the US, you can say that.)

What is your favorite dessert?

OK, that's it for now. I'm looking forward to your responses and getting to know you!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
What's your:
greatest hope?
biggest fear?

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I thought the schedule would be stickied?

What are your thoughts on diapering (cloth etc) and ec? What has worked or not worked for you in the past?

How have you worn your baby in the past and are you hoping to try any new slings or carriers?

chocolate or vanilla?

How would you describe your diet and how has pregnancy challenged that?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
What would you do if you won $1000 dollars?
Do you plan on co-sleeping with the new babe?
Do you/did you co-sleep with DS?
Have you come up with any baby name choices yet?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lunamegn, I am so excited to be hosting you! I read in one of your other posts that you live in Reno. I live in Quincy!! I feel like I'm hosting a neighbor! Ok, on to the questions: Awww, thank you! I didn't know you werein Quincy - we love that area! We go to the High Sierra Music Festival almost every year.

How long have you lived in Reno? 6 1/2 years, 7 in August
Do you have family nearby? We have lots of amazing phamily near by - but as far as blood related family, my husband's sister lives a few miles away, my in-law's are outside of Las Vegas as well as his other sister and my parents are in South Dakota.
Where did you grow up? western South Dakota

How long have you been married? Our first anniversary is in May
Where did you and DH meet? The first week of college was the first time we met, but we didn't get to know each other until our sophomore year when he moved into the apartment below me with some roommates.
What was your first date? I have no idea! I'll have to ask him, he has a better memory of our early days together.

Do you have a job? I'm mainly a stay-at-home mama, but I do help my friend with her business by sewing meditation cushions for her.
If not, what was the last job you had? The last job I had where I worked out of the home was in 2005 when I worked as a glorified secretary at an electrical engineering company.

What is your favorite book? Oh man, I have a few. My favorite author is Barbara Kingsolver - I love all her books.

How is this pregnancy going for you? Pretty good. I dealt with some pretty rough morning sickness in the very beginning, starting pretty much the day after I got a BFP. But that's tapered off and now I'm less tired, so I'm feeling pretty irie lately.
Any cravings or aversions? I was eating a mainly raw diet before finding out I was pregnant, and now raw leafy greens and sometimes avocados are hard for me to stomach. I've been craving weird, random things. Ironically, veggie sandwiches.
What are your birth plans? We're going to have another homebirth.
(I read in your siggie that you have a 20-month DS) Are your birth plans this time different from last time? Not much different - we had a wonderful homebirth with a midwife. This time we're thinking about doing the same, but minus the midwife. She's a great midwife, though!

Have you been to any countries besides the US? Just Canada and Mexico.
If so, what is your favorite? (Or, if your favorite place is in the US, you can say that.) My favorite places have always been the northern west coast. A few summers ago we traveled into northwestern Canda above Vancouver and it was so beautiful. Maui was also an amazing place as well.

What is your favorite dessert? I'm not a big dessert person, but I do love my chocolate. But I would probably have to say cheesecake!! I do love Ben and Jerry's Half Bakes yogurt. Our friends asked us recently if we had seen the sale on B&J's at the grocery stores and my dh said, "You mean the sale we've been abusing!"

OK, that's it for now. I'm looking forward to your responses and getting to know you!!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Alright ladies, here are more of your questions answered. Keep em coming!

What's your: greatest hope? biggest fear? My greatest hope is to create a world wide conscious community in which we learn to live in harmony with the planet and all of her cycles and that we learn to respect and appreciate her gracious resources. But on a more closer and realistic aspect, my greatest hope is that my son's kidney continues to work and that he lives a happy, healthy life. Also, that I give birth to a healthy, beautiful child. My greastest fear is that we will see the complete distruction of the earth's resources and the earth herself. I fear that my children will not have access to clean, pure water and unpolluted air. Currently, my greatest fear is that I have another child with health problems.

What are your thoughts on diapering (cloth etc) and ec? What has worked or not worked for you in the past? Before my son was born I thought ec was an amazing concept. I planned on cloth diapering. I still do cloth diaper, but we also use disposables when we're traveling. I would like to try ec'ing with my next one. I plan on fully cloth diapering my next child as well. My son has a kidney transplant and he gets a lot of water during the day and night so we go through lots of diapers during the day. I use kushies because I like the all-in-ones that velcro. What I'm doing different this summer is that I will hang the pee only diapers on the clothes line to dry, not wash them after every use.

How have you worn your baby in the past and are you hoping to try any new slings or carriers? Ooooh, I LOVE my Maya Wrap. Actually, we both love our Maya Wrap. It's a beautiful deep purple color. I loved having him close to me when he was an infant and when he got bigger and could hold his head up, I liked having him on my hip hands free. I still use it sometimes, but he's getting heavy! I really look forward to using the Maya with my next one. We also have a mei tai that Joaquin didn't like and I also have an ergo, which we both really like. I had a nojo, but Joaquin didn't like that one.

chocolate or vanilla? chocolate!

How would you describe your diet and how has pregnancy challenged that? Before I found out about this pregnancy, my family was eating a mainly raw diet and we were really loving it. But my aversions to fresh veggies nixed that. I hope to start that again after I give birth. I'm also a vegetarian and I've been hit with meat cravings. That's been hard, but it's been subsiding. I try to listen to my body - if it's craving something, it must be deficient in something.

What are you craving right now? At this moment, dill Havarti cheese - my son and I just finished off the last of it, though.

Is there anything you liked before that you really can't imagine eating now? Rojo sauce.

How do you feel on a day to day basis, in general? Good, now that the morning sickness has pretty much subsided. Mentally, I've been going a little stir-crazy with the cold weather - we've been staying inside more and there's not as much going on during the winter. I look forward to the summer!

What would you do if you won $1000 dollars? I would ideally like to put some of it in savings, but right now $1000 is just about how much a California king bed costs and we desperately need a bigger bed with the new baby coming.
Do you plan on co-sleeping with the new babe? Yes.
Do you/did you co-sleep with DS? Yes, he's a great snuggler.
Have you come up with any baby name choices yet? I'm not set on any name. I have a couple girl names that are for sure, just not sure if they're first or middle names. With boy names, we're leaning more towards another Spanish name - we like Diego and Francisco. I also really like River. For girls, I like Luna and Ruby.

What's your favorite thing to do when you have alone time? (with a 20 m.o., that may be a distant memory, I know!) Read.

Do you like to travel? Been on any great adventures? Love to travel! My husband and I went on a month long trip in 2003. Lots of music and good times.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You said, "Before my son was born I thought ec was an amazing concept." I'm pregnant with my first and am planning on ECing with CD. I'm curious to know if something 'went wrong' with EC and if so, what?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hooray for cheesecake!
Will your son be at your birth? Do you have someone special coming to be with him for the birth? It's nice to get to know you.
Wendi
My son with be at the birth. But I plan on just seeing how it goes and how he's doing with it all. We'll see. I plan to have someone available so that he can get away if the need be.

I look forward to getting to know you too!

Aaaah, High Sierra Fest... never been...BUT- speaking of that... what are the top 3 shows that you've seen?

That's kind of a hard one cause I've seen lots of great shows. But here are the ones that stick with me the most:

String Cheese Incident at Horning's Hideout in July of 2003
String Cheese Incident in Las Vegas for Halloween 2003
Midnite at the River Ranch at Squaw Valley in 2004

You said, "Before my son was born I thought ec was an amazing concept." I'm pregnant with my first and am planning on ECing with CD. I'm curious to know if something 'went wrong' with EC and if so, what? Well, I still think the same. But like I mentioned before, my son was born with kidney problems and so he has to get a lot more fluids than the average child. To be honest, I never tried it because as a result of the extra fluids, he pees A LOT. And with all the medication changing and whatnot, it affects his digestive system so that some times he's pooping a lot more one day than another. It just never seemed feasible after everything that he goes through. Perhaps it's just laziness or nervousness on my part. It always seemed justified in my head but once I put it out there maybe I still could have done it...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Maybe I'm confused but I seem to remember reading that your DH is Spanish? I'm half Spanish myself so I'm curious about your DH background and how he ended up in Nevada.

I love your name choices! What about Rocio for a girl? I like Luna too! Or Lluvia (rain)! Okay I realize these aren't really questions... so here are some:

Someone inspirational in your life?
Favorite movie?
Where would you love to live if you had a chance?
Backpack or suitcase? Camping or hotels?
Would you prefer a boy or a girl?
What did you study in college? Would you do it again?

And what's your favorite color?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I also enjoy B. Kingsolver.

Along the same lines as Natalia's question: What's your favorite movie that you are kind of embarrassed that you like?

Pregnancy can wreak havoc on our emotions. Have you had any emotional moments that you now look at and I think, "I sounded like a crazy person,"? If so, tell us about it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Maybe I'm confused but I seem to remember reading that your DH is Spanish? I'm half Spanish myself so I'm curious about your DH background and how he ended up in Nevada. Yup, he's Spanish. But to be honest, I don't know how much - he definetly looks Spanish with dark hair, dark eyes (I always wished that my son would get his beautiful brown eyes, and he did!). His father grew up in the Bay area and I'm not sure when the family came from Spain. His mother is of German, Irish decent and grew up in Nebraska and moved out to California where she met his father - they moved to Boulder City, NV to raise their daughters because land was cheaper and one of the girls was having severe allergy issues with the dustcropping that was going on where they were living.

I love your name choices! What about Rocio for a girl? I like Luna too! Or Lluvia (rain)! Okay I realize these aren't really questions... so here are some: How do you pronounce Rocio? The only reason that i have doubts for Luna as a first name is becaue I can just envision the kids making up names like "Luney" or something lame like that - but that's not really a good reason. I met a little girl this summer named Luna and I'd always loved the name, but to meet someone with the name... made me fall in love with it more. My friend had a dream recently where she said that I had given birth to a healthy baby girl named Nadia Luna... interesting.

Someone inspirational in your life? The first person who came to mind is my husband. He's a very kind, caring, accepting person. It's like he'll just meet you and there are no judgements. He's a big teddy bear and gives hugs to back that up. He's unconditionally supportive and loving of me. He's also an amazing father - so involved with Joaquin and so patient. He inspires me to be a better person. The second person would be my father. He's a very kind, generous, loving person as well. He wants nothing but the best for his family and no matter he doesn't agree with the choices I have made/make, he still supports and loves me.
Favorite movie? Of all time, or currently? I don't watch many movies but one of them is Garden State and currently I'm loving Little Miss Sunshine.
Where would you love to live if you had a chance? Probably in North western California on some nice, fertile land to raise my family and farm. Maui would be another one too.
Backpack or suitcase? Camping or hotels? Backpack. Camping
Would you prefer a boy or a girl? I would love to have a girl. I want to raise a little goddess!
What did you study in college? Would you do it again? My major was English Literature and my minor was Women's Studies. I really enjoyed what I learned and the teachers. I wouldn't give up the knowledge that I learned, but if I were in the position to do it all over again right now, I would go through some alternative schooling or travel. I would love to learn a trade in the healing arts.

And what's your favorite color? Green.

Along the same lines as Natalia's question: What's your favorite movie that you are kind of embarrassed that you like? Mean Girls. I'm sure I have some other embarrassing movie likes, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

Pregnancy can wreak havoc on our emotions. Have you had any emotional moments that you now look at and I think, "I sounded like a crazy person,"? If so, tell us about it. Oh yeah. My husband likes to take his time doing things and I kind of like to get a move on. Last weekend we were in the process of getting ready to go get breakfast and he had to take a 20 minute shower and then he was putzing around in the bathroom with Joaquin and brushing their teeth and then we still needed to get everything rounded up and I got overwhelmed and impatient and freaked out on him a little bit for taking so long. He said it would have been one thing if he weren't doing anything to get ready, like getting Joaquin dress, but I wasn't really doing much to help out either.

How big is the town in SD where you grew up? I grew up in Rapid City, which was the second largest town in SD - I think it had 50,000 people. Still too small town for me.
What was that like? The area is so beautiful. It's at the foothills of the Black Hills and that's all sacred land to the Native Americans, the Lakota people. They are ancient hills - the oldest on the continent. I lived about 25 miles from Mount Rushmore. Rapid itself was alright. I'm not a high school kind of person, I didn't like it. I was anxious to get out and explore. I was out of my element in that place - the people were too small minded. I still have close friends from Rapid, but not many. I didn't realize how beautiful the area was until I left to go to college and came back to visit. It's so beautiful. Most of my family is in South Dakota, but live on the eastern side of the state, and that's all flat, prairie and farming land.

I'm having fun answering all your questions!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now for the "personal gain" questions (my gain, that is):

What is your favorite restaurant in Reno?
Where's your favorite place in Reno to take DS?
Do you think you'll go to High Sierra this year?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What is your favorite restaurant in Reno? Pneumatic Diner - a really yummy, locally owned vegetarian/vegan diner. Yum!
Where's your favorite place in Reno to take DS? We live near a wonderful park, Idlewild. It's along the Truckee River and it's nice to walk (it's about 2 1/2 miles one way) and there's a playground for little ones. In April they have Earth Day there. Something's always going on!
Do you think you'll go to High Sierra this year? That's the plan unless something comes up! Are you?

explain your username... Well, I love the moon and have a connection and fascination with it. It cycles similar to our bodies and when I see a full moon or a crescent moon coming over the horizon or hanging in the sky with a little star next to it, it takes my breath away. So luna is Spanish for moon. And my name is Meghan, so I just cut out the "ha" and there you have it!

How many kids do you want and why? Sometimes I think that this will be the last one, but dh and I are so young that I don't want to close the option for another should we get the "baby calling." I didn't have any siblings and felt really lonely so I am so excited that Joaquin is going to be big brother. For some reason, 3 sits nicely with me. We'll see... only time will tell. I once went to see a psychic for insight into my son's future before the transplant and she said that she could see us have 3 or 4.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.