Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your plans for your birth?
Do you have a career? Will you work after you baby is born?
How did you meet your partner?
Tell us about where you live and the pros and cons.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What are you most excited about in the weeks after your baby comes?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yay! It's my week already!

What are your plans for your birth?
Mostly up in the air still. I'd like to have a homebirth [HBAC] but DH was freaked out by the whole first birth experience, and doesn't feel comfy doing that. The closest birth center is at least an hour away, and they won't do primary VBACs anyway, so it would have to be at their hospital backup which is just as far if not further. So for the time being I'm using a large MW group that's part of a large OB/GYN group that would deliver me at the local hospital. I'm looking into have a monitrice, and at 'least' a doula.

In my mind when I think about the birth, I always "accidentally" have unassisted birth at home.
We'll see

Do you have a career? Will you work after you baby is born?
I was a teacher before DS was born. I've never gone back to work, nor had any real desire to go back to teaching, in public school at least. I've toyed with the idea of getting a part-time job, but now that the baby is on its way, I'll hold off til s/he is in school.

How did you meet your partner?
We met through a young adult group at our U.U. church. Though I wasn't interested in him at all at first, and it wasn't til his apartment building suffered from a fire that we got to know each other when I offered to get the young adults to help him move back in [at first, they thought he'd be back in quickly since his apartment just had some smoke and water damage, but it ended up being 5 months].

Tell us about where you live and the pros and cons.

I live between DC and Baltimore, a little closer to the latter. The town I live in has historic roots, but is mainly suburbia. The town right next to us [in fact, in some areas the two towns almost seem to overlap] is a "planned community" and is weird in its way.
Pros: close to lots of stuff to do, good schools [as far as that goes], not too hot, not too cold; the neighhborhood we're in is from the 50's and has lots of mature trees and character
Cons: high cost of living, not walkable, very little in the way of public transportation, infill and over-development,

·
Registered
939 Posts
What's the best thing about being pregnant?
I'm enjoying the early stages of movement, when it's just a little surprising but not painful or comfortable. I like trying to imagine what the baby looks like and what s/he is doing.

What is your favorite food right now?

I don't have one particular favorite food, but in general it's comfort foods. I keep going on 2-3 day binges. The other week it was ham, this week it's been Chinese dumplings, right now I'm craving the chickpea cutlets I made for dinner last night, and/or bloody mary mix.
One thing I can pretty much always eat is french fries/potato chips-crisps.

Where do you like to go on vacation?

I prefer places of historic interest and/or interesting shopping/browsing. For our honeymoon we went to Spain, and we loved our days wandering around Madrid taking ourselves wherever the mood struck. Recently we went to the Salem/Boston area, and did the same [DS stayed with my sister]. Unfortunately this is not the kind of vacation DS enjoys though, so we don't get to do that sort of travel much anymore.

What are your favorite books--both for you and for kids?

My all-time favorite books are "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and "Dawn" by Octavia Butler. For kids, I'm a kindy/pre-k teacher by training, so I don't have a favorite, but I like almost everything Gail Gibbons and Anne Rockewell have done in the non-fiction genre, and fiction.... I can't think of anything off the top of my head... I'll have to come back to this one!

What are you most excited about in the weeks after your baby comes?
Excited about? Oh I dunno, that's a hard one. In a lot of ways this pregnancy/birth is a "second chance" for me. My son was born by c/s after a failed 'birth center' birth due to malpositioning. We had a horrible time establishing breast-feeding. He lost weight most of his first month, and cried ALL.THE.TIME. because he was hungry. So this time, I know more and hope to do better, sorta fix my mistakes. In some ways, that's sad, but OTOH, I look forward to those first few weeks of life because I feel like I missed a lot of DS's since there was so much stress and distraction from HIM.

:

·
Registered
939 Posts
What are your favorite hobbies?
I read a lot. I do crochet, make cards [stamping], and try to do a bit of scrap-booking.

what would you like to learn?
Gosh, I'm not sure. Hmmm, I know there's something, but it's slipping my mind at the mo'. Sad really. Oh! I know, I'd like to learn to sew. I know a tiny bit, but the machine I have sucks, so really I need to get a new machine first.

What do you and dp like to do together?
We like to wander around interesting towns/places, look in fun shops. Our interests are actually quite different, but often do our own things near each other.

:

·
Registered
939 Posts
How old is your DS?
DS is 4.5. He'll be 5 in April

How do you think he will adjust to the new addition to your family?

I think it's going to be quite an adjustment. He's excited at the mo', but he's very used to being the only child. On the up side, he'll be in school all day come fall, so hopefully that will be a distraction.

What does he want to name the baby?

He wants to give the baby his middle name, which also happens to be his cousin's name [though they are named after different people]. Says we can use another baby with that name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.