Mothering Forum banner

SPOTLIGHT ON: MZFERN (ask her questions here)

776 Views 25 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  MacKinnon
Everybody say hi to mzfern. She's our featured member for the next couple days. Feel free to ask her questions, and get to know her better here.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Hi mzfern!

What is one of your fondest memories from childhood?

If you had one day completely free of any obligations, what would you do?

What is most important to you to pass on to your children?

Thanks!
See less See more
Yay! It's my turn

What is one of your fondest memories from childhood? Summertime camping trips. We'd always go to a campground that had a lake or was next to a Great Lake (I'm from Michigan). Our weeklong trips were filled with swimming and playing in the sand, eating foods that we only ate while camping, and night campfires with s'mores.

If you had one day completely free of any obligations, what would you do? I'd wake up about 8:30-9, arrange to meet a girlfriend for coffee and bagels, and go deal-hunting all morning (flea market, garage sales, etc). Then we'd get a massage in the afternoon, have our husbands make us dinner, and drink too many glasses of wine. (HA! What a fantasy!! My closest girlfriend is 2000 miles away and of course, drinking too much wine is a thing of the past... for now
)

What is most important to you to pass on to your children? A strong sense of self and respect for everyone and everything on Earth.

Thanks, swtpesq!
See less See more
Hi, mzfern! Just an OT side note, a woman in my writing group is working on a young adult novel called Fern and the Fairies, and it's all about a little girl named Fern who loves things that start with the letter F! I think about that when I see your username...

some questions...
What is something(s) about your own upbringing that you would like to be sure that your child has? Is there anything you definitely want to change about the way you raise your own child versus how you were raised?

What is the thing about raising kids you and your DH most agree on? Most disagree about?

What's your favorite place to be alone? What do you do there? How long can you enjoy solitude before you want to be with people again?

What is your biggest fear?

What is your favorite season?
See less See more
What's you favorite thing to when you have time all to yourself?

What's your favorite food?

Would you like a big or small family?

What kind of car do you drive?
Hi MzFern! Let's see...

Do you think about being pregnant all the time, or do you ever feel like a regular person?

How did you learn about Mothering?

Do you like where you live? house/town/country...

What is your favorite maternity outfit?

Do you think this is fun? (I do!)
Here's some more questions for you!

Are you currently working? If so do you like your job?

Where is your favorite beach in Washington? (I've got beach on the brain today since we were just at Carkeek)

It's nice to get to know more about you!

K
See less See more
I'm back from work with just enough time to answer a batch of questions. The rest will probably be answered in the morning -- I have errands to do and I'm helping DH out at his office later tonight. Dang... sooo tireddddd... :yawn

What is something(s) about your own upbringing that you would like to be sure that your child has? Is there anything you definitely want to change about the way you raise your own child versus how you were raised?
Great question! The first thing that pops into my head is reading before bed. We always, always had bedtime stories. I read stories with my mom, and my sister, Emilie, had "books" with Dad. We read series together, like Anne of Green Gables and the Little House books; before I was a strong reader, Mom would read to me, and later we would both read. I don't remember when we stopped reading books like this, but it's something that I definitely want to continue with my children.

What I want to change: It was common in my home growing up to express anger and frustration with yelling *read: screeching* and guilt trips. It's taken me a while to get over this, but I work everyday to not continue these patterns.

What is the thing about raising kids you and your DH most agree on? Most disagree about?
We most agree about living innately as possible -- natural health care, whole foods eating, basically giving the body what it needs to be at its highest potential -- and the importance of respect and gentle discipline. I'm not sure what we'd most disagree about... probably it'll heat up as the kids get older and he'll want to allow looser boundaries than I'll be comfortable with.

What's your favorite place to be alone? What do you do there? How long can you enjoy solitude before you want to be with people again?
I like to be alone at home. When I have absolutely nothing to do, I enjoy reading, playing on the computer, napping, and *these days* practicing my knitting. I'd say about mid-afternoon, I'll feel the need to talk to someone and either call someone up, or go run an errand.

What is your biggest fear? Tornados.

What is your favorite season? Fall. I love sweaters, apple cider, and crunchy leaves
See less See more
What's you favorite thing to when you have time all to yourself? Read, go on a hike, play with the dogs

What's your favorite food? Oh man, these days, my favorite is lime popsicles. But my non-pregnant self would answer spaghetti.

Would you like a big or small family? We're aiming for 3-4 kiddos

What kind of car do you drive? A 1998 Ford Taurus, dark blue, that I inherited when my grandpa passed away this spring. It's stylin'

Okay dokay. The rest tomorrow. Thanks, mamas! This is fun!!
See less See more
I know this is standard, but I've been dying to ask for a long time:

How did you choose your user name? Is your name Fern?

Otherwise:

Favorite Foods?

What's your favorite part of the house to clean?

Least favorite?
So you like to read? What type of books do you enjoy?

Are you going to be a SAHM after you have your baby?

What's your favorite zoo-type animal?
This is so fun!

Did you grow up in Washington? Where else have you lived?

Did you go to college? If so, what was your major?

How did you meet your DH?

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Yey!

What was the first record/tape/cd/8 track
you bought with your own money?

Name one or a few of your favorite performers now.

How did you and your husband meet?

Forgive me, but how many children do you have? And would you like to share your birth story(s) with us?
See less See more
So much fun!

How/when did you decide to start your family?

If you could have dinner with anybody alive or dead, who would it be and why?

Do you consider yourself to be spiritual/religious?

What is your favorite movie?
Do you think about being pregnant all the time, or do you ever feel like a regular person? Haha... I'd say it's about 85% pregnant, 15% regular. Back when morning sickness was rocking my world, I felt like a mass of uncomfortable pukiness. Now, my pregnant related thoughts are mostly focused around misc. pains, talking to the baby, wondering if the twinges I'm feeling are kicks, thinking about what the baby will look like, and other important wonderings

How did you learn about Mothering? Well... before our wedding, I was very obsessed with the wedding culture. I didn't realize how bad it was until I was able to gain some perspective on my behavior. Anyway, after the wedding, I still lurked on the wedding message board that I liked to go to and they had a newlywed area with a baby discussion forum. There were some women who were appalled at extended breastfeeding and linked to a thread on MDC where mamas were posting about their four-year-old nurslings. Not so shocking to me (my mom nursed me until I was 3)
Since then, I've lurked a lot, learning about NFL and incorporating better ways of living every day life. My mom was really natural when I was little and Dan's mom is super knowledgeable about herbs, body work, food combining, etc, so we come from a good base

Do you like where you live? house/town/country... Hmmm... I'm getting used to it... sort of. I've been a suburban girl all my life (grew up in the Detroit suburbs, lived in St. Louis suburbs) and we've been living in rural Washington for only about 6 weeks. It's different -- very pretty, close to all kinds of great outdoor activities, fantastic wildlife -- but it's a farm, which I'm totally not used to. I have to walk the dogs on a country road that scares me (they're cranky terriers who don't tolerate crowds so taking them places isn't really an option), and we're surrounded by conventional farmland which I'm not very comfortable living near (our 2nd day, we were awakened by a helicopter feet from our open windows... crop dusting
That's only happened that one time, thank goodness, and we don't sleep with the windows open anymore). Still, I'm adjusting.

What is your favorite maternity outfit? I just got a pair of "cool girl" jeans (great color with sparkle on the booty) at a great price at a resale shop and I love to wear them with a tunic length top that has these really cool swirls of black, green, red, and yellow... OK, now that sounds really weird, but I promise it's not!

Do you think this is fun? (I do!) Absolutely!!
See less See more
Are you currently working? If so do you like your job? Currently, I'm working at a little independent women's clothing store in a little harbor town. Very touristy and it caters to women in the 40-65 age range. Really, it's not my cup of tea, but I needed a job until the baby comes, if anything, to pay for my health insurance premiums through COBRA and for how expensive food is on the west coast. Before moving to WA, I was a developmental editor of health science textbooks for a big science, technology, and medicine publisher (corporate job... boooo....). I supported Dan while he was going to school, and now that he's a chiropractor, it's mainly his paycheck that pays the bills.

Where is your favorite beach in Washington? (I've got beach on the brain today since we were just at Carkeek) I don't have a favorite yet... only been here a few weeks. The beaches at Deception Pass are close and pretty, and we discovered a really cool cove off the Chuckanut Drive up to Bellingham last week. Do you have any suggestions of places to check out?
See less See more
How did you choose your user name? Is your name Fern? Good question! My name is Katherine. Fern actually comes from my mom being goofy and changing my name around to call me Kaph-ern as a weird way of saying Katherine. I hope that makes sense! It sounds really weird to type it out like that. From Kaph-ERN comes Fern. Weiiiiirrrrrd. I really like the name Fern though! The mz part is a remnant of the username I used to use years ago, mizslice, with slice being part of my maiden name.

Otherwise:

Favorite Foods?
Ice cream, pasta, watermelon, ginger cookies

What's your favorite part of the house to clean? I guess it would to be sweeping the floor -- it's low effort and makes such a difference with the dog hair and dusty, rocky dirt that gets tracked in.

Least favorite? Bathroom. Yuck and yuck.
So you like to read? What type of books do you enjoy? These days, I've been reading a lot of pregnancy and birth books (Bradley, Ina May, etc). My favorite favorites include Mists of Avalon, Barbara Kingsolver's non-fiction, and The Fifth Sacred Thing.

Are you going to be a SAHM after you have your baby? YES!!! Can't wait!
:

What's your favorite zoo-type animal? Penguins. They're so funny and have so much personality. BTW, if anyone is near St. Louis, I HIGHLY recommend taking a trip to the zoo. It's free and the penguin exhibit is really well done.
See less See more
Did you grow up in Washington? Where else have you lived? Until college, I lived in Detroit northern suburbs. College was in Indiana. After college, we lived in St. Louis while Dan did his graduate work, and now we're here in WA.

Did you go to college? If so, what was your major? Yuppers. I went to Valparaiso University in IN and studied English and Humanities. I was very nearly a teacher, but I decided the end of my first semester senior year that I wasn't cut out for it.

How did you meet your DH? High school
Does that disqualify me for being a huge nerd for marrying my high school boyfriend? The schools we went to (different high schools) participated in an afternoon program where students could opt to go to a different building for advanced classes that weren't available at the individual schools. The classes offered were really progressive -- like Japanese and Chinese, advanced art, dance, and philosophy and humanities. Dan and I met in philosophy -- he was a senior and I was a junior. We went to different colleges for undergrad and definitely had our ups and downs (our relationship has not be linear). We married the summer after I graduated college

What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Julie's Orange and Cream or Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip (if I'm feeling up for a lil' rBGH with my desert
: )
See less See more
What was the first record/tape/cd/8 track you bought with your own money? I love this question, Paige! Thanks for asking. The first two CDs I bought were Green Day's Dookie and The Cranberries CD with the song Zombie on it (can't remember what it's called). (Since this is a subtle way to pin-point an age for me, I'll tell ya I was born in 1981
)

Name one or a few of your favorite performers now. My new favorite is Sonya Kitchell. She's just wonderful (here's a link to her performing on NPR). Long time favorite, FAVORITE is Sarah McLachlan.

How did you and your husband meet? See previous posting

Forgive me, but how many children do you have? And would you like to share your birth story(s) with us No kiddos yet -- Little Pea is #1. But here's a link to some pictures of the puppy dogs and few of me (I'm very newly pregnant here -- no belly yet). (I still haven't got the hang of easily sharing photos online in a neat little area. Sorry that it's kind of cumbersome).
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.