Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello pianojazzgirl. I'm eager to get to know you!
Here are a few questions to start with, then I'll be back with more after dinner.

So, I see that you are in Montreal. Are you originally from there? If not, where are you from and how do you like Montreal?

How did you choose your username. Do you play piano?

What are your favorite hobbies, pastimes?

Last book you read? What do you like to read?

Do you speak any language/s other than English?

Favorite music?

Favorite food?

Do you like to travel? If so, where have you been and where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world?

How is your pregnancy going so far?

What are your birth plans? Do you think you will do anything different this time around?

How many children would you like to have? ANd your Dh/DP?

Have you ever gone bungee jumping? Skydiving? Would you like to do either of those things?

DO you like ice cream? What flavor? Cone or cup?

Ok, I guess that will do it for now.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Plaid Leopard asked about birth plans but more generally, What do you hope repeats with this baby and what do you hope changes? Pregnancy, birth, and postpartum and beyond?

How have your thoughts about parenting changed since before you were a parent?

Do you and your partner see pretty eye to eye on parenting issues thus far? Was an easy agreement or do you have to really hash things out?

·
Registered
770 Posts
What is your greatest hope?

What is your deepest fear?

Explain your username [I think I know the answer to this from things you've said on PALs...]

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Oh yay - my turn!
Time to answer some questions...

So, I see that you are in Montreal. Are you originally from there? If not, where are you from and how do you like Montreal?

I was born and grew up in Victoria, B.C. but I moved to Montreal in 1993 to study music at McGill University. Wow - that means I've been here for fourteen years now! (how the hell did I get so old, lol). Well, obviously I like living here since I've stuck around so long. Apart from the long cold winter I don't have anything negative to say about the city.

How did you choose your username. Do you play piano?

Yup, I'm really a piano jazz girl, lol. I'm a professional jazz musician. I've had that as my username for every forum I've been on forever.

What are your favorite hobbies, pastimes?

I love to read, watch movies, and spend time here at MDC. When it's nice outside I love to get into the great outdoors - go camping, swimming etc.

Last book you read? What do you like to read?

Right now I'm reading a great book called "Swamp Angel" (preggo brain has made me forget the author's name). I like to read lots of different kinds of books, but mainly fiction as it's my escape from the world. Honestly I'll read just about anything (I'm a book-a-holic).

Do you speak any language/s other than English?

I speak imperfect French.

Favorite music?

Jazz! (surprise, surprise)

Favorite food?

Well, you're asking me this as I'm sitting here feeling nauseous as hell... but in non-pg life I love Indian food. That would probably be my fave, but with burritos and sushi tying for second.

Do you like to travel? If so, where have you been and where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world?

I like to travel, though we haven't done much travelling at all since dd was born. I've been to France (Paris, and travelling around the south of France), and Amsterdam, and a few places in the States (Seattle, New York, Boston, and some other places I've forgotten). One of my best trips ever was a month long hiking trip in the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC.

How is your pregnancy going so far?

Um, well.. nerve wracking to be honest. I had three weeks of constant spotting that almost sent me to the grave with worry, but since having an u/s and seeing the little bean I've felt a lot better. The spotting is gone now but I'm being hit with some hard-core nausea. Still... I can't complain. I'm still pg and I am SO happy.

What are your birth plans? Do you think you will do anything different this time around?

VBAC in a hospital. Hopefully unmedicated, with no IV or constant monitoring so I can move around as much as I need. I really hope this birth will be completely different from my last one as that was an emergency c-section before I even went into labour.

How many children would you like to have? ANd your Dh/DP?

At this point, after having 2 miscarriages since having dd, I feel like I will just be happy with 2. Pregnancy has become very stressful for me, and I'm not sure if I want to go through it again. I guess I'll see how I feel after this babe is born though. Dh is on board with having 2 kids.

Have you ever gone bungee jumping? Skydiving? Would you like to do either of those things?

No and NO! I have a crazy bad fear of heights. I get freaked out watching other people do that kind of stuff, there is no way I could ever do it.

DO you like ice cream? What flavor? Cone or cup?

Yes! Right now I'm craving butterscotch ripple in a sugar cone. But I'll take pretty much whatever kind of icecream comes my way.

Uh oh... dd is up from her nap. I'll come and answer more questions later. This is fun!

·
Registered
764 Posts
How early did you start playing the piano? What's the grandest gig you've played?

Professional aspirations or fantasies?

If we were hanging out somewhere with a piano and I asked you to play me something, what would you play?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Plaid Leopard asked about birth plans but more generally, What do you hope repeats with this baby and what do you hope changes? Pregnancy, birth, and postpartum and beyond?

After the first trimester ms passed I had a great pg with Djuna - well, until she stopped moving, was found to be in distress and was delivered by c-section at 38 wks. The one thing I will change between that pg and this is to focus more of my attention on the birth. I've already educated myself a lot more about birthing since then, and I plan on taking (unmedicated birth prep) childbirth classes and hiring a doula to support me though labour.

Postpartum after Djuna's birth was very rough. I had a really long and painful recovery from the c-section. I was exhausted and very mentally and emotionally unprepared for the huge change in my life of having a baby. So I'm hoping for a positive vaginal birth experience, with an easier recovery. And of course now I know what it is to have a newborn so hopefully that makes the transition easier.

I was lucky that breastfeeding Djuna came easily for both of us, so I hope that happens again.

How have your thoughts about parenting changed since before you were a parent?

I got pregnant with Djuna "by surprise" and before then I had barely given any thought to parenting. Even when I was pg with her I was so focussed on the pg and learning about newborn care that I didn't think about parenting in general. Once she was born I guess I fell pretty naturally into AP. Thanks to MDC I became aware of "gentle discipline" which is what feels right to me. I have learned so much from reading and asking questions in the Gentle Discipline forum here. So I'm not sure that my thoughts of parenting have changed all that much (I never thought that babies should CIO or kids should be spanked for ex.), but I've just had to give it so much more thought. I'm surprised how much creative thinking comes into play in parenting.

Do you and your partner see pretty eye to eye on parenting issues thus far? Was an easy agreement or do you have to really hash things out?

Well, he's kind of got the "we're the parents and what we say goes" mentality (which I don't share). Let's just say that we're still hashing things out. I'm too tired to think too much about it right now, lol.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
What is your greatest hope?

That my kids grow up to be happy in themselves.

What is your deepest fear?

Death. My mom dying. My kids dying. My dh dying. Me dying. I admit it - I'm scared of death!

Explain your username [I think I know the answer to this from things you've said on PALs...]

Like I explained in another question - I'm a female jazz piano player so the username fits.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
How early did you start playing the piano? What's the grandest gig you've played?

I was 7 when I started taking piano lessons, 14 when I started to play jazz. Grandest gig? Hmmm... maybe on the big stage of the Montreal International Jazz fest in front of about 10,000 people.

Professional aspirations or fantasies?

Ugh... well, these days it's just to play more. Music has certainly dropped down the old priority list since I've become a mommy. Ideally I just want to be playing regularly, feeling good about what I play, recording more albums, and continuing to push past my comfort zone.

If we were hanging out somewhere with a piano and I asked you to play me something, what would you play?

Duh, this is the question I face everytime I sit down to play a solo piano gig. Um... maybe right now I'd choose "Prelude to a Kiss" by Billy Strayhorn.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Can you recommend some great jazz albums...new or old?

What do you do as a professional jazz musician (sorry if this is a dumb question)?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Can you recommend some great jazz albums...new or old?

Ok, I'm going to come back and answer this tomorrow because I'm dead tired (just checking in before I head off to bed) and I know I'm not going to be able to think of all the ones I'd like to.

What do you do as a professional jazz musician (sorry if this is a dumb question)?

All kinds of things. Sometimes I play background music in restaurants or for parties (sometimes at hotels or in people's homes or whatever) - either solo piano or with a band. Sometimes I play in jazz clubs for people who are really there to listen to the music - in that case it's often my own original music, and almost always with a band. Sometimes I play in bigger venues like theatres or outdoor stages at festivals. I've also done some music for commercials. I've been on a few albums, and recorded one album of my original music. Of course all of this requires practicing and rehearsing too. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I enjoyed reading about your career as a musician. I hope your birth goes as planned. So, let's see...

How did you meet your DH? Did you know he was "the one"?

Do you follow politics at all?

Do you get along well with your family? With your in-laws?

How would you describe your style? Hip, classic, funky, eclectic....

Well, I haven't eaten breakfast yet so my brain is not working so well. i hope I can come up with some more interesting questions later.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
How did you meet your DH? Did you know he was "the one"?

Dh is a jazz musician too - a bass player. We had a mututal friend who's a drummer who one day asked both of us to get together with him to jam. Well I got a ride out to the place where we were going to play with the drummer, we got all set up to play but Adrian (now dh) hadn't shown up yet. The drummer and I waited and waited and were getting very impatient when finally Adrian showed up. At that point we were so anxious to play that before the drummer even introduced us to each other someone just named a tune and we all started to play.

After we were done the session we started talking and I really clicked with him, but I soon found out that he had a serious long-term girlfriend so I just switched him to the "friend only" category in my brain. But like I said we really clicked and ended up hanging out all the time - mostly playing music and going out for food (one of our shared passions).

It turned out that him and his (now ex) girlfriend were having troubles and were going to be splitting up. At this point I totally just thought of him as a friend. Since we both happened to be looking for a new apartment I suggested that we find one together. That's how we became roommates.

Then came a night of much tequila, joint smoking, and poetry reading on our living room couch... which ended in us becoming shall we say "more than just roommates".

Ack. What a difficult situation. We ended up staying roommates/more than roommates for a while. But he was still getting over his ex-girlfriend (they had been together for 6 years!), and it was very intense (not in a good way). Yuck.

Anyway, we did end up moving into separate apartments and eventually breaking up for a while, until we were in a better space to get back together. Now we've been together for over 8 years.

(sorry for the novel, lol)

Do you follow politics at all?

Yes. More around election time than otherwise. I'm not the most politically minded person, but I definitely have strong opinions.

Do you get along well with your family? With your in-laws?

Oh yes, I definitely get along with my family very well. I'm an only child so it's just me and my parents. We never really clashed even when I was a teenager. Now when I visit I have a great time with them. I find they give me my space, but at the same time are very supportive.

I do get along with my in-laws too, but my FIL is totally nutso, and extremely self-involved. Hanging out with him is very tiring. My MIL is a wonderful sweet woman, who also (frustratingly) does EVERYTHING for my FIL who seems to expect it as his birthright or something. Argh - drives me nuts. But we do get along. Dh and his father are another story though. Let's just say my 2 yr old dd learned some "choice" language listening to dh and his dad fighting last time we visited.
:

How would you describe your style? Hip, classic, funky, eclectic....

I guess I'd say funky.. though less funky than I was, well, before I had Djuna. I have a lot less time, energy, and inclination to go get funky haircuts and buy new clothes now that I'm a mom. But I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Do you have a list of things to do before you die? What's on it?

What are your hobbies, aside from mothering and playing the piano, of course?

Do you have pets?

You say you are an only child? Did you always want a sibling or were you content with it?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Ooops...sorry. I see that I asked a question you had already answered...and I read the entire thread
. Shame on me
! Here's another, as a replacement (and a few extras):

If someone gave you $1000, what would you do with it?

What is your birthstone?

What do you find maddening about mainstream parenting, if anything?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Okay, It's way past my bedtime, but I'm gonna try and get a few more answers in...

Do you have a list of things to do before you die? What's on it?

Not really. Is that pathetic? I guess I'd like to see more of the world, become fluent in French (not holding my breath on that one, lol), just further my musical career. No huge aspirations I guess. Boring old me! lol!

What are your hobbies, aside from mothering and playing the piano, of course?

Reading! Spending time outdoors - hiking, swimming, camping. Right now we're renovating our house and I'm getting pretty into "home decorating". I'm kind of embarrassed to admit, but I also have a tendency to get waaaay too sucked into watching tv series on dvd. Like if I get into one I'll watch as many episodes as I can while Djuna is napping, and then as soon as she goes to bed I'll watch more!

Do you have pets?

I have one cat - Hal. The hugest, longest black cat with the most laid back nature and the loudest miow you've ever heard. I also have a "step dog" - a dog that my dh and his ex-girlfriend got when they were together and has periodically lived with us. Her name is Esme and she's an awesome black lab/border collie mutt.

You say you are an only child? Did you always want a sibling or were you content with it?

I think I'm one of those unusual only children who never wished she had a sibling. Maybe I figured it out pretty early that I got more attention since I was my parents' only kid, lol. I had a great childhood and a best friend who was like a sister and lived two doors down from us (and is still a great friend and godmother to Djuna).

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
What were the last (or current) fiction / non-fiction books that you read?

The novel I'm reading right now is called Swamp Angel. It's a great story, I'm really enjoying it. I'm also in the middle of a very interesting non-fiction book about conjoined twins called One of Us.

Ugh, too tired. I'm going to answer the rest of your questions tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Ok Jennifer I'm going to try to answer your other two questions before my band shows up to rehearse.

What does Djuna do that is just irresistable?

Oh she can be so sweet and funny it just makes me smile so huge. Every morning she "bakes" dh and I "cakes" (made from lego) that she feeds to us in bed. It melts my heart when she says "je t'aime" (I love you) to me and gives me big hugs and kisses. When I was on bedrest she invented this game where she is the baby bird and she comes up into the "snuggle nest" with mommy bird (basically snuggling up to me on the couch). So sweet! And she gets me laughing my ass off when she dances around the living room singing made up songs with ridiculous lyrics.

What does she do that drives you crazy? :)))

Uh, that thing where she turns into a floppy jelly worm on the floor when it's time to get dressed up to go outside.... those nights when she wakes me up a million times.... the new-found whiney voice she learned from her four year old friend.... making huge messes throughout the house. Nothing major though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.