Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right, I'm starting my own spotlight thread.

I'm certainly not going to ask myself any questions, so you ladies can go for it!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Do you have names picked out? Or are they a secret?

Is there anything that is scaring you about labour?

How did you meet your DH?

How many children are you wanting?

What is your favorite book? movie? and why?

What do you think is the worst thing about being pregnant? The best thing?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Which would you pick, and why? Vacation on a warm lush tropical island, or hiking and camping in the mountains, or sightseeing around historical places, or a being at home curled up with a good book.

If you were given $3000, and told that you HAD to spend it on something completely frivolous-$1000 for you, $1000 for babe, and $1000 for your hubby, what would you get?

What has been the strangest craving or thing that has happened to you during this pregnancy?

Has you DH had any sympathy pregnancy symptoms with you?

Would you tell us an odd fact about yourself?

Hey, and thanks again for doing the spotlights and December roll call

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirk_heidi View Post
How many children do you and your dh want?

Quote:

Originally Posted by minsca View Post
How many children are you wanting?
Well.... I want one, but only if it's a girl
DH wants at least two (that's the most I will consent to). I'm still on the fence. If this one's a boy we'll probably try for another because I can't imagine not having a daughter. If this one's a girl, we'll play it by ear and see how we all feel about it in a couple of years.

Quote:

What was your first reaction when you got your bfp?
"I knew it!" I got two BFNs before I got a BFP, but I was sure from the moment of conception that I was pg! I showed DH right away and we were both very excited. I think it's funny that I got my first BFP on April Fool's Day, though.

Quote:

Do you have any concerns about once you baby arrives?
My biggest concern is ppd. My mom had it with all four of us, and had to be hospitalized for it after the birth of my youngest brother. My depression tends to be worst in the winter, so I am concerned that being home alone with a newborn in Jan-March will not be good for me.

Quote:

How crunchy are you?
Much, much crunchier than I ever imagined I would be.
I guess there are two sides to being crunchy: AP stuff and NFL stuff. Since the baby isn't here yet, it's hard to say how crunchy we'll be regarding AP stuff. However, we are planning to cosleep, bf to at least 2 years, cd/ec, babywear, gd, teach baby ASL, and eventually unschool. On the NFL front, we eat traditional foods (a la Nourishing Traditions and Weston Price), try to eat local/organic when we can afford it, use natural cleaning, laundry, and body care products, use natural remedies and homeopathy before allopathic medicine, and probably more that I can't remember. Does that answer your question?

Quote:

Do you have names picked out? Or are they a secret?
We have five names picked out - 3 girls' names and 2 boys' names. We aren't going to make the final decision until the baby is born and so think it's silly to share all five name choice with people if we are only going to use one of them.

Quote:

Is there anything that is scaring you about labour?
Not really. My biggest fear is transferring to the hospital. My reason for choosing an out-of-hospital birth is because I have only been to the hospital I would be birthing in once - to watch my grandfather die. Considering that is the only memory I have of the place, I do not have positive associations with it and really really don't want to have my baby there.

Quote:

How did you meet your DH?
We met in high school. I had sworn off dating at that point and turned him down a couple of dozen times before finally consenting to date him. At the time, I planned to break up with him all along
We did break up, when I went to OH for a summer job, but that only lasted about three days, and then we were back together again. About two months after that, we knew we wanted to get married. It just took another four years until we actually did.

Quote:

What is your favorite book? movie? and why?
I am never good at remembering these. One of my favorite books is Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. I just love the whole plot, the characters, and the romantic relationship he portrays. My favorite movie is Princess Bride because no matter how many times I watch it, I never get bored of it and always find it hilarious.

Quote:

What do you think is the worst thing about being pregnant? The best thing?
I have had a very easy pregnancy so far, so I feel really bad complaining about any part of it. The worst thing for me was puking while at work. I was a nanny and just hated throwing up with those kids in the next room. The best thing, by far, has been the sex
I had no libido at all before I was pg, so this second trimester increase in sex drive has been wonderful!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzardbits View Post
Which would you pick, and why? Vacation on a warm lush tropical island, or hiking and camping in the mountains, or sightseeing around historical places, or a being at home curled up with a good book.
That's hard! I think I would end up picking hiking and camping (as long as it was when I wasn't pg!), although any of those last three sound wonderful!

Quote:

If you were given $3000, and told that you HAD to spend it on something completely frivolous-$1000 for you, $1000 for babe, and $1000 for your hubby, what would you get?
Hmmm...depends on what's considered frivolous. I'm assuming paying bills/debt is out. I'd probably spend my $1000 on household things that I want, but can't justify buying right now (stainless steel and cast iron cookware, a patio table and chairs for our balcony, a cabinet for the bathroom, and various odds and ends). It probably doesn't sound frivolous to anyone else, but we're way too frugal to buy that stuff at this point. For baby, I would get this hammock with related accessories and as many organic baby clothes in rich, gender-neutral colors as I could get with the rest. For DH, I think I would invest in a few rare/signed copies of his favorite books. We have far too many books, so buying $1000 worth of new books would be a bad idea, but buying a handful of really special ones would be cool.

Quote:

What has been the strangest craving or thing that has happened to you during this pregnancy?
I know it's not strange to those who have breastfed before, but waking up to a big wet spot on the sheets from leaking breast milk has probably been the strangest thing so far.

Quote:

Has you DH had any sympathy pregnancy symptoms with you?
I asked him and he said "I like ice cream."
So, that would be a no.

Quote:

Would you tell us an odd fact about yourself?
Before I found MDC, I was actually pretty obsessed with wedding planning and even took a class to become a Certified Bridal Consultant. I ended up getting my certificate and then losing interest in wedding planning once I was married.

Quote:

Hey, and thanks again for doing the spotlights and December roll call

No problem! I figure I'm one of the few people with no kids yet who SAH and I love doing stuff like that. I used to have a DDDDC about how organized I am, but I accidentally deleted it

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
FINALLY. I feel less brain-dead for once, so I can ask some questions without thinking so hard that my brain turns into pudding.

When did you change your mind about Sean? Did anything specific happen that made you go from deciding to break up w/him to wanting to marry him?

What do you have for this baby already? What else are you hoping to get before the baby comes?

How will you keep yourself busy this winter post-baby? Will you have much opportunity to get out of the house?

How did your friends and family react when you told them your pregnancy news? (I got my BFP on 3/31 after two days of BFN's in a row. I reeeeally wanted to wait one more day before using up my last pregnancy test, but I didn't want to take my test on April Fool's Day!)

What parenting techniques/tips from your/Sean's childhood will you use for this baby? What will you stay away from?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
When did you change your mind about Sean? Did anything specific happen that made you go from deciding to break up w/him to wanting to marry him?
I had never dated anyone else besides Sean, casually, seriously, or otherwise. When I went away for the summer, this guy at my new job started hitting on me hardcore and after a couple of days of that, I realized I couldn't envision myself dating anyone other than Sean. After that, he ended up driving 3 hours to visit me every couple of weeks and by the end of the summer, neither of us could imagine not getting married to each other.

Quote:

What do you have for this baby already? What else are you hoping to get before the baby comes?
I have tons of pregnancy/birth stuff and virtually NO baby things yet. I have: a boppy, a humanity family bed, a portable diaper pad, a bag I already had that I will be using as a diaper bag, and some hooded towels and a bath mitt. Of course, I also have six baby carriers (solarveil pouch, adjustable fleece pouch, moby wrap, gypsy mama gauze wrap, onbu, and beco). Luckily, my first shower is in a week, so hopefully we will get stuff that we need (I know some one already got us a car seat and that is the thing I most wanted to have).

Quote:

How will you keep yourself busy this winter post-baby? Will you have much opportunity to get out of the house?
Luckily, there are lots of AP-friendly mama's groups in our area. I already attend three (LLL, babywearing, and a NFL group). There is also an EC group and a newborn group that I would like to attend after the babe is here. I do have a local mama friend who I met through MDC before either of us were pg whose baby is 6 months old now. We carpool to these different meetings and hang out and I think it helps both of us to not be so lonely during the day. The only real problem with going to all these meetings is that I hate driving in the snow and I'm sure it will be worse having to drive in the snow with a fussy baby.

Quote:

How did your friends and family react when you told them your pregnancy news? (I got my BFP on 3/31 after two days of BFN's in a row. I reeeeally wanted to wait one more day before using up my last pregnancy test, but I didn't want to take my test on April Fool's Day!)
Everyone was excited. My mom and MIL knew we would be trying soon, so they weren't really surprised, and my dad took it much better than when my sister announced her pregnancy (albeit her circumstances were much different and she eventually decided not to continue the pg). I told my mom right away and we told a few select friends at the very beginning. But we waited until 12+ weeks to tell the ILs, my dad, and most of our unmarried friends. I liked telling people gradually and having it be more or less a secret for the first few months.

Quote:

What parenting techniques/tips from your/Sean's childhood will you use for this baby? What will you stay away from?
I was raised pretty much the opposite of the way I want to raise my kids. In fact, I had decided I never wanted to have kids before I found out about AP because I thought the way my parents raised us was the only option. We were spanked with a paddle, shamed, yelled at, ignored, and told that our parents' lives would be better if we didn't exist
We were also raised on the Standard American Diet, very few fruits and veggies, all of which were frozen or canned. My mom did have four vaginal births, three without drugs of any kind and she breastfed us for 6-8 weeks each. But mostly it was really mainstream. My parents didn't do everything wrong, of course, and I'm sure there are some things I will pass along to my children, but my childhood is really best used as an example of "What not to do."

Sean was raised much differently from me, but still mainstream. Whereas my parents were very authoritarian (bordering on abusive), his were very laid back (bordering on permissive). He was never spanked or grounded (I spent most of middle school grounded to my room) and they didn't really have a lot of rules or structure. Since I wasn't there, I don't know a lot more than that. But we probably won't be doing things very much like his parents did either.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Since you eat TF, do you drink/eat raw milk products while pregnant???

Is it getting hard to get up from your mattress since it's on the floor, as your pg progesses?

You seem incredibly organized and self-motivated. What are some tips you have for the "distracted and scatterbrained" (such as myself
) among us?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny_Dancer View Post
Since you eat TF, do you drink/eat raw milk products while pregnant???
I do eat raw cheese and I would drink raw milk, if I could get any. We actually belong to and pay for a milk share, but have never received any milk from it despite paying for it since March.
It's a 45 minute drive which we can't afford to make every week. I'm not comfortable joining the milk group because I don't want to be responsible for getting other people's milk, and I keep getting no response back from the farmer or the other people she told me to contact.
: I actually have been a big slacker as far as TF goes since I got pg because all of the supplements made me feel ill during the first trimester and I just never got back into taking them again.

Quote:

Is it getting hard to get up from your mattress since it's on the floor, as your pg progesses?
It takes a little longer, and I make more grunting noises, but all in all, it isn't bad. If DH is around, he helps me up. Otherwise, I just roll over to all fours and either use my knee to brace myself (like my prenatal yoga teacher has us do to get up in class) or use the desk near the bed to help myself up.

Quote:

You seem incredibly organized and self-motivated. What are some tips you have for the "distracted and scatterbrained" (such as myself
) among us?
That's a tough one! I think the kind of tips I could give would only work for people who think in a similar way to me and have similar life circumstances (which isn't many people!). The one thing that has helped me out a lot has been Flylady. I get a lot more done when I am following her program (though of course I tweak it to fit my lifestyle). Besides that, I've just always been into researching everything and keeping lots of lists and notes on the things I'm currently interested in. The fact that you describe me as self-motivated makes me laugh - I see myself as a huge slacker because I didn't do very well in high school and ended up dropping out of college after four years and now I'm "unemployed." Everyone just shakes their heads and says "If only she were more self-motivated"

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
What are you craving lately?

Top five favorite songs?

My son Danny wants me to ask whether you like the grocery store, the beach, or the library better?

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Whata re you having for dinner?

Do you know anyone else who is a SAHW with no kids? (I was too
)

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
What are you craving lately?
I haven't had any fierce cravings since the first trimester ended. I eat a lot more ice cream and banana chips than I would allow myself to if I wasn't pg, but I'm not really craving very much.

Quote:

Top five favorite songs?
That's a really tough one. I'm the kind of person who has 3500 songs on my iPod. I don't think I could pick my top five!

Quote:

My son Danny wants me to ask whether you like the grocery store, the beach, or the library better?

Definitely the library! I really hate grocery shopping (though I love going to the farmer's market) and I get sunburned too easily to enjoy the beach. I've always loved the library and DH and I often go there just to hang out (we're such nerds!)

Quote:

What did you have for breakfast this morning?
I'm just having it right now - banana chips.

Quote:

What are you having for dinner?
Shepherd's Pie

Quote:

Do you know anyone else who is a SAHW with no kids? (I was too
)
I know several on MDC, but all of the SAH friends I have IRL are mamas already. All of the pg ladies I know are either SAHMs or working right up to their due dates.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
I just wanted to mention, I too eat & drink raw cheeses & milk even while pregnant. After researching I came to the conclusion that raw milk is SO freaktastically good for you & we can only benefit from that as pregnant women. Milk is only pastuerized because the factory farms are filthy places & I would prefer to never consume a product created at one. The milk is still filthy & full of hundreds of thousands of pus cells, they've just been cooked high enough that they won't make us sick. Small farms producing raw milk are clean. The milk is way way healthier & easier to digest (& yummy
), AND not teeming with pus.

Ok, I'm all done with my tangent now.

Yay milk!

·
Registered
513 Posts
oh so interesting about raw milk! Thanks for sharing! I'm just learning more and more all the time about TF and I read my nourishing traditions book before bed.(talk about nerdy!)

Anyway, one more question: I used to subscribe to the flylady emails but got too discouraged cause I never did the stuff they suggested!
Sooooo, do you keep your "sink sparkling" like flylady does?
What environmentally and/or family healthy cleaning supplies do you use to scrub your sink?
Do you soak it in the bleach water overnight once a week like they say?

What's the best tip you've learned from Flylady?

(I used to do all that sink stuff before I was a mama and never seem to get around to it now. I consider a sit down dinner a HUGE accomplishment even if the rest of the house is a disaster zone and the sink is FULL of dishes!)

PS-I used to be a SAHW also. I nannied off and on though. Threw up on the job while I was pg too!!!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zjande View Post
I just wanted to mention, I too eat & drink raw cheeses & milk even while pregnant. After researching I came to the conclusion that raw milk is SO freaktastically good for you & we can only benefit from that as pregnant women. Milk is only pastuerized because the factory farms are filthy places & I would prefer to never consume a product created at one. The milk is still filthy & full of hundreds of thousands of pus cells, they've just been cooked high enough that they won't make us sick. Small farms producing raw milk are clean. The milk is way way healthier & easier to digest (& yummy
), AND not teeming with pus.

Ok, I'm all done with my tangent now.

Yay milk!

Thanks for making me feel
and guilty for buying that horrible stuff, Aubrey!

Pus, :puke

Quote:

Sooooo, do you keep your "sink sparkling" like flylady does?
If I keep the sink shiny and do my morning and evening routines, I am infinitely more productive the rest of the day. If I go to bed with the sink full of dirty dishes and/or without doing my evening routine, I can pretty much guarantee I won't be getting anything useful done the next day (which has been every day so far this week
: )

Quote:

What environmentally and/or family healthy cleaning supplies do you use to scrub your sink?
Ecover dish soap and baking soda. But I have only ever scrubbed my sink twice - once in our old apartment when I started FlyLady and once in this one when we moved in. After that, wiping it down with a dishtowel is usually enough to keep it sparkling to my satisfaction

Quote:

Do you soak it in the bleach water overnight once a week like they say?
NO! I don't keep bleach in the house. I never use it for anything.

Quote:

What's the best tip you've learned from Flylady?
Just one?
I like the whole idea of baby steps, that you're never "behind" and of breaking things up into 15 minute blocks. I'm so far gone that DH has actually started quoting FlyLady
I'll be whining about how I'm so far behind and didn't get anything done that day and he'll say "You're never behind. You just need to take baby steps. Just do _____ for 15 minutes." I've created a monster!

Quote:

one more question:
How did you come up with Sihaya?
:
It is from the book Dune by Frank Herbert. Which, now that I'm thinking of it, is probably my favorite book more than the one I listed before
: Anyway, it is the nickname the main character calls his girlfriend (kind of like a pet name) and it means desert spring, though Dune aficionados (mostly just me and DH) argue over whether that means a spring of water or spring like the season.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you could take a vacation right now anywhere in the world, where would you go?

(disregard the fact that you're pregnant and might not want to go anywhere because of that...)

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
If you could take a vacation right now anywhere in the world, where would you go?

(disregard the fact that you're pregnant and might not want to go anywhere because of that...)
Ireland, definitely! DH and I want to do this tour if we ever get the chance to go there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.