Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is your thread TreefrogNYC!

HOW IT WORKS:

we will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!
(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

*our original thread is STICKIED, so if you want to sign up for a week, and haven't yet post there!*

what are you craving today?

how are you feeling today?

if somebody gave you 1000 dollars to spend on yourself what would you buy?

what is your guilty pleasure at the moment?

· Registered
2,460 Posts
What is your favorite kind of soup?

Have you ever spent time as a vegetarian/vegan?

What is your #1 hot topic and why?

Tell me about your backyard - big, small, muddy, dry, sand, grass, swing set?

What kind of car do you drive and do you love it or hate it?

Has the economy effected you and your family in a negative way? How so?

Do you like carpet on your floors or would you prefer wood/tile/other?

What are you most nervous about with this pregnancy...the pregnancy itself, the fact that there is a new baby to adjust to, nursing, diapering, etc?

What size is your TV in your main room?

What is your favorite TV show or movie of all time?

If you had to choose one childhood toy you adored, what would it be?

What's your favorite holiday and why?

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi, ladies!

Thanks for the honor! I'll do my best to answer every question.

Here are the answers to the first sets:

1. What are you craving today?

Sleep.

2. How are you feeling today?

Contemplative. Mainly about mortality. Pregnancy will do that to you!

3. If somebody gave you 1000 dollars to spend on yourself what would you buy?

I'd hang onto it until after the pregnancy, when I'll be looking for some serious self-pampering.

4. What is your guilty pleasure at the moment?

Red wine. (Only on some weekends, and only a few glasses. In case anyone's eyebrows have raised...
)

5. What is your favorite kind of soup?

Miso with wakame. Or the occasional clam chowder.

6. Have you ever spent time as a vegetarian/vegan?

I've been vegetarian since I was sixteen. I'm more of a pescetarian now.

7. What is your #1 hot topic and why?

On the Mothering message boards: Hypnobabies
In life: Relationships -- specifically male/female, but also human compassion in general. (I'm a writer, so it's an occupational hazard.)

8. Tell me about your backyard - big, small, muddy, dry, sand, grass, swing set?

We have a side yard that is at the moment full of snow and muck.

9. What kind of car do you drive and do you love it or hate it?

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid. It's fine, but as a NYC-girl I prefer walking everywhere.

10. Has the economy affected you and your family in a negative way? How so?

My IRA was almost entirely depleted, but seems to be back up to where it was when this mess started. My husband lost a bit in stocks, but we really have nothing to complain about. It helps to live simply!

11. Do you like carpet on your floors or would you prefer wood/tile/other?

I love, love, love, wide-plank, natural wood floors. Toss a fab throw rug on them here and there, and you're good!

12. What are you most nervous about with this pregnancy...the pregnancy itself, the fact that there is a new baby to adjust to, nursing, diapering, etc?

Yes. But seriously, I'm mostly concerned with breastfeeding, and my lack of precious sleep. I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm also dealing with being 40, having established a life I know and love and having to face the changes that come with bringing a child into the world. My biggest fear is becoming a zombie housewife who gave up her dreams to have kids. Probably won't happen, but I fear it enough to make sure it won't.

13. What size is your TV in your main room?

38" -- It's crack, but we use it responsibly.

14. What is your favorite TV show or movie of all time?

Film: "Annie Hall"
TV Show: (current) "Family Guy"; (in syndication) "Six Feet Under"

15. If you had to choose one childhood toy you adored, what would it be?

My "Lamby." It's a stuffed lamb that I carried from the time I was about one or two. I still have him!

16. What's your favorite holiday and why?

I love Christmas. (Fine talk for a Jew.) It seems to be a time when everyone is kind to each other, whether they want to be or not! After that, I love my birthday and Samhain/Halloween.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
treenfrognyc, wow, becoming a mom at 40 - you go!

soooo....

- what's a pescetarian?

- how did you decide to have a child at a slightly later age than many people?

- what are the best/worst aspects of having a baby/child in a big city? (i'm totally jealous, and tend to idealize it)

· Registered
60 Posts
Morning! Thanks for the encouragement. It's surreal...

1. What's a pescetarian?

It means the only meat I eat is fish. I think it's a newfangled term...

2. How did you decide to have a child at a slightly later age than many people?

I never felt ready until now. Of course, now I'm not sure I'm "ready," either. Is anyone, ever? I suppose I'm one of those women who never really thought about having kids except in the abstract. I never fantasized about it as a child, never had a real drive to do it as an adult. When I was a little girl, I used to say I would "travel the world twice" before I had a child. I didn't do that (!), but I guess that mentality has been with me my whole life.

3. What are the best/worst aspects of having a baby/child in a big city? (i'm totally jealous, and tend to idealize it)

We rent a house in Nyack, which is about 30 minutes north of NYC, but I still keep my old apartment in Gramercy, so we go back and forth a lot. I'm madly in love with NYC, so sharing it with our son is going to be a real treat. The downsides are traffic, noise, and expense. But the upsides are culture, diversity, fantastic architecture, history, really chewy adventures at every turn... I think being/living the city is a very important education for a child. The diversity of nationalities alone is enough to teach a child wonderful aspects of other cultures without having to pay the airfare!

Thanks for your questions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.