Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a miniscule amount of spotting last night. I am now 5 weeks, 2 days pregnant. The spotting seems to be gone now (knock wood), but I'm a mess of nerves.

I am on progesterone suppositories, and a lot of my googling on the subject seems to indicate that the suppositories can irritate the cervix... that could explain last night but who knows?

I feel really pregnant this time, not like the last one that I miscarried. Also, my HCG on Monday was at something like 500 while last time around it never exceeded 50. So thats good, right? I guess all I can do is sit tight and hope. I go for another HCG beta tommorow, and they booked me an ultrasound next Wenesday to see how things are in there, although I wanted to avoid early ultrasounds this time around.

Anyone have any experience with progesterone suppositories or spotting?> Just needing some reassurance I think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
No experience with the suppositories but with the spotting. During my last pregnancy I spotted late in the 3rd trimester and everything was just fine! Apparently, it isn't all that uncommon. I would go get checked though.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update:

Its now Friday, and since that isolated episode of a bit of pink on Wednesday evening, no spotting! I'm going for another HCG beta, the results of which I should have Monday morning. But everytime I do a check and don't find blood, my confidence shoots up a little. I think I'll be having this baby.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me too.. in 9 months time we'll be on the breastfeeding boards together!!!
My my other pregnancies I spotted following an exam.... it bothered me a great deal and in my second pregnancy after that first time I said "no more exams!"... seeing pink or red when I am pregnant just puts me into a crazy state.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had spotting, too this week. It's very unnerving. Mine was very little. I went to the doctor and he did an ultrasound. Saw the heartbeat, which was great to see. He still said that there's a 20% chance of miscarriage, but I feel that it'll be ok.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder how they can say things like "there's still a 20 percent chance you'll miscarry". Like, how do they know that>?

Anyways, I do certainly hope that you don't, and I am pretty well of the mind that if you spot, and then it stops, you should try to not worry about it anymore. It's resolved itself, and if it starts again, deal with that then. I am warring with myself to break the cycle of running to the bathroom every 10 minutes to do the ol' "wipe 'n check".

Also, every day that I don't see blood, I feel a little better. I'm also officially past the point where I had my miscarriage last month! It will be 6 weeks on Wendesday!!! YIPPIIEEE!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I can take the 20% thing and turn it into a tool for obsessing:

So if I have 2 kids, and I had one miscarriage, that means the baby I'm pregnant with now and the next one (if we decide on a next one) should (statistically) be safe.

Whew. Ain't science somethin'?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I know -- after I posted that, I almost deleted it. I don't want to fuel anyone's fears. I was just trying to explain how I interpreted the dr's statement to wendyland -- that she isn't at any higher risk than anyone else now.

I try to think of it this way -- we have around an 80% chance of NOT miscarrying. So the odds are strongly in our favor.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Didn't want to scare anyone! Yes, there is a 20% chance in first trimeser of miscarriage. My doctor said that he usually bumps it down to 2% once he sees the heartbeat, but because of my bleeding he was going to leave it at 20%. I'm not worried about it. I've read that there are a lot of reasons for bleeding and most go on to have normal pregnancies.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well its now Saturday and still no more spotting. I will be going for an ultrasound on Wednesday ( even though i wanted to avoid early ultrasounds this time.) I'll be 6 weeks to the day. Dot you think its possible they'll be able to see the heartbeat?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.