Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, mamas... I read in this forum a lot more than I post, since I'm 28 weeks pregnant for twins. I went to the hospital last night (on-call doctor's orders) after spotting throughout the afternoon yesterday (brownish-pink, sorry if TMI) and having irregular but frequent BH contractions. I also felt pressure on my cervix when I peed. Both babies' heart tones were good, cervix was closed (but dr ("hospitalist") said she felt a head, but not in my pelvis yet), no bladder infection or UTI, and I wasn't dehydrated. After monitoring for a while and giving me fluids, they let me go home after a few hours.

What I'm wondering is... is it more common to have spotting in twin pregnancies? I didn't have any spotting with my three singleton pregnancies, so it's a new thing for me. I am having more frequent and tighter BH contrax over the past few days, but I'm sure that will continue on for the rest of the pregnancy. Right? Any advice or info would be a big help.

BTW, the BH contrax alone weren't a new thing... I've had them daily for the past 11/12 weeks, it was the spotting that made me decide to go in.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I had spotting in my twin pregnancy. But I had it in the first trimester; that's pretty common. Spotting in the second trimester would concern me. I'd be trying to get a lot of rest and stay off my feet as much as possible, ya know?

I also had a LOT of contractions all through my twin pregnancy, but none that seemed to get more intense in the space of just a few days. That combined with the spotting sounds worrisome to me.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
my twin preg. was the only one i didn't have spotting in......until i had a show at 32 weeks. rest, drink plenty, enjoy your food....please take it easy and see this as a reminder to slow down

·
Registered
176 Posts
No spotting for any of my pregnancies, but I also ended up going in for an assessment sometime around 24-26 weeks due to increase bh contractions (um, also think it was because I had read Dr. Luke's book that week and was a little TERRIFIED of pre-term labour!) FYI, I gave birth at 37 weeks to 2 healthy girls

As others have noted, good reminder to take it SUPER easy...REST REST REST and eat and drink as much as you can!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I never had spotting, but my BHs were the worst from about 28-32 weeks. If there is one thing I learned about carrying twins, it is to TAKE IT EASY! Of course, easier said than done, but in the long run, this moment in time is short, and well cooked babies are the goal.
Let people know that you need their help. I was afraid of "using up" help during my pregnancy, but actually, it increased the amount of help I got after the girls arrived. People do want to help, so let them help you through this pregnancy

Congrats to you, by the way!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yeah what they all said. I spotted for my singletons but not my twins. Unless you had rigorous sex or something I would get off my feet keep those kiddos cooking! If you're contracting alot esp given the recent bleeding you def need to drink up, rest up and try to get those BH to let up. Wine always helped mine when I was that far along. No more then 4 bh in an hour and then to bed with you!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate all of you responding.
I'm taking your advice and resting a lot more. I've already been drinking a lot (about 12 glasses of water a day) so I'm keeping that up, too. I had what seems to be the last of the spotting, just a tad, yesterday morning so it looks like that has finished. Whew! I'm just really wishing I knew where it came from in the first place, and hoping not to see any more. My next u/s is next Monday, so I'm looking forward to that right now... mainly to see if my cervix has changed any.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyQ2+2 View Post
No spotting for any of my pregnancies, but I also ended up going in for an assessment sometime around 24-26 weeks due to increase bh contractions (um, also think it was because I had read Dr. Luke's book that week and was a little TERRIFIED of pre-term labour!) FYI, I gave birth at 37 weeks to 2 healthy girls

As others have noted, good reminder to take it SUPER easy...REST REST REST and eat and drink as much as you can!
no spotting with my 4 children .... went in around 24w with cramping/pressure/back pain ... got monitored, sent home. I had more BH if I didn't drink enough water.
Time to rest a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.