Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am 14 weeks with my third and had some spotting/bleeding today (not a lot......but I had streaks of red and pink on the toilet paper for about 6 hours -- it has stopped for now, hopefully for good!)  Anyway, I did get in to my OB this afternoon and they did an ultrasound.  Baby is perfect (thank God!), but they couldn't find a reason/cause for the bleeding.  He (sonographer) said my placenta was high (nowhere near my cervix), and he couldn't find any tears or clots.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So here is my question --</p>
<p>I am Rh negative........should they have given me rhogam?  I can't get a clear answer online -- some sites say that you need it any time you spot at all, and other sites say it is only needed before 28 weeks if you have amnio/CVS or major abdominal trauma.   Today I only saw the sonographer and very briefly talked to the nurse.  I don't know if rhogam just isn't necessary, or if they missed it because they didn't check my blood type on record.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We don't know what my husband is, but after having two Rh negative babies, I have suspected he might be Rh negative.  We are actually scheduled to find out his blood type next week, because if he is also Rh- I want to refuse the routine rhogam shot at 28 weeks.  But now I don't know what to do!  All I know right now is that his mom is A+ and his dad is O-, and both of our girls are Rh negative.  But of course it is very possible he could be Rh positive, so I feel conflicted *sigh*.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't have a firm understanding about Rh factor and sensitization.  If I don't get rhogam, could I become sensitized and harm this baby/pregnancy?  This is for sure our last child (husband will be getting a vasectomy), so I am not terribly concerned about the increased sensitization risk toward a future pregnancy, because it is extremely unlikely I would ever be pregnant again.  But obviously I care about keeping this baby safe.  I understand that the 28 week rhogam shot protects future pregnancies, but what about rhogam for early bleeding/spotting?  Could I become sensitized and attack the baby?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know I should call my OB and ask her all these questions, but I have a feeling she will simply recommend the shot as "insurance" because I am concerned about it.  Either way I need to decide very soon, because there is a small window (48-72hrs?) to receive rhogam if warranted.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just wondering if anyone has insight or advice!  Thank you.</p>

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
<p>If you have had two Rh negative children, you are not already sensitized.  That means that this pregnancy, should the baby be positive, might sensitize you but it would not cause problems with this pregnancy, only in later Rh positive pregnancies.  If you're absolutely sure you're not having any more children, I think it's fine to forgo the shot.  Everything I've read online (and I'm Rh negative too) is that it's really in cases of trauma or miscarriage that you need the shot. The shot at 28 weeks only prevents sensitization for so-called "silent bleeds" that occur randomly (in less than 2% of births, I think).  Either way, because your previous babes are negative, you're not currently sensitized so whatever you choose for Rhogam shouldn't have an effect on this pregnancy. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would still ask your doctor about it, however, since there might be other low probability issues that I'm not aware of.</p>

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
<p>I also wanted to add that Rhogam will not protect the baby if you are already sensitized anyway, so if you're not worried about sensitization in this pregnancy (because you won't have more children) there's no reason to get the shot.  Rhogam only prevents sensitization, it doesn't help the baby at all once you're already sensitized.</p>

·
Registered
14 Posts
<p>With my last pregnancy. I had minor bleeding around 21 weeks.  I freaked out and went to the ER, and the dr there told me that since I was rh neg., I needed the shot, even though the bleeding was light. </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts