Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for things to do this spring & summer for pre-school aged kiddos in the Bath, Brunswick, Woolwich, Wiscasset, Freeport, Portland areas. (other nearby locations ok too!)

Please post your favorite spring & summer-time spots! Include anything and everything! Free or fee! Inside or outside!

Playgrounds, beach spots, museums, farms, etc etc etc. anything!

Thanks!

Here is my list so far:
Popham Beach
Reid Beach
Lambert Park Playground
Dike Newel Playground
Brunswick base playground (near Sears cooks corner)
Wiscasset Community Playground
Portland Children Museum
Woolwich Middle? School playground
Morris Farm
Botanical Gardens

Thanks!

Linda

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I love threads like this, I'm just going to copy and paste your post and take some out that I've never been to and add a few that we just love, BTW, where is the Botanical Gardens?

Popham Beach - us too, we were married in the Courtyard of Fort Popham
Reid Beach - mandatory several times a year
Dike Newel Playground - I went to this grade school, Tiffany did too
One of Bath's best playgrounds.
Wiscasset Community Playground - right around the corner to us

Portland Children Museum - I'd rather go one a school day lol (is that bad of me?)
Woolwich Middle School playground - Another favorite playground for us.
Morris Farm - I'm so sad with the way the economy is, they had to do many staff layoffs, and now they are not participating in any in school activities with the primary school

Hermit Island/Head beach - warmest ocean water in Maine - best waves too

Feeding the ducks in North Bath - Just down the road on the right past the buffalos
Free swim at the Wiscasset Community Center - has an awesome incline swimming pool.
Small hike or canoe ride into Sandy beach in Woolwich
My kids are a bit older, but we love to hit Pemaquid Point several times in the warmer weather.
Hiking Morses Mountain in Phippsburg
Farmers Market in Bath and Brunswick!

Gosh, I know there are so many more, as I think of them I'll add them to the list.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mooliette!

Oh sad about Morris Farm. We can't go to farms because of DS1 dairy and egg allergy but want to set up a field trip or two there for the other kids in my co-op.

Botanical Gardens- I have never been but it is in Boothbay http://www.mainegardens.org/

I am really geared up for the warmer weather and outdoor fun! I feel like I am stuck inside because I am being a ninny about going out unless it is at least 50 degrees once I have had the taste of a warm day. I am a warm weather snob doing my best to deal in Maine!

We have a nice list so far!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mooliette covered some of these, but here's my list of things I want to do....

Clay Play (paint your own pottery) in Yarmouth
West Bath school playground (with 2 diggers and tetherball poles although it's BYOB! hahah)
Thorne Head trails in north Bath
Morse Mountain Trail
Hermit Island Beach (near Popham)
Boothbay Railway Village
Boothbay Aquarium
Wolfe's Neck Farm (free self-guided tours every morning)
Brunswick Bike Path (has 3 entrance points - Brunswick, Topsham, and Cook's Corner)
Wolfe's Neck State Park in Freeport
Hamilton Audubon Sanctuary in West Bath

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I just wanted to mention this adorable park in Boothbay Harbor we went to last week, it's called Barrett's Park, google it for exact directions. There are 4 small beaches, the one on the RH side go during low tide, it's sea glass ally.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you want to come visit Richmond (Exit 43 off I-295 -- of course we'll be having the lovely construction on the highway all summer
), Richmond Days is in July. They usually have activities for younger kids in the mornings/early afternoons, if I remember correctly. The waterfront is pretty even when Richmond Days isn't there, but I wouldn't recommend swimming.

I've never been to Swan Island, and most of the towns folk think it's no big deal since they see it all the time.

Peacock Beach is a pretty little area if you want to have a picnic or swim. Emphasis on "little," though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
Does anyone letterbox? We are going to start this summer. Better for older kids, but there are boxes all over Maine, and it's a great way to get out on a hike with the incentive of a little scavenger hunt in the process.
Do you get the letterbox updates on yahoo group? I'm on the Seacoast in NH and I get daily updates from the letterbox group. There are tons of spots around here so if you travel south there's a lot to do here too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.