Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never made sprouted flour before and I currently don't have the capabilities of making it. As far as I've seen, the process of making it goes like this: sprouting the grain, drying it in an oven or dehydrator, and grinding it in a food processor or mill. I just want to know how well sprouted flour works in recipes. I've heard that it will bring a similar texture and lightness as white flour, is this true? Yeah, basically just wanting to know how well sprouted flour has worked for people who've used it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I buy mine online from the site listed by Di. I love it! The texture is great although not as smooth as white flour. I had pie and cookies for the first time in over a year after I first bought the flour. I still use regular whole grain flours when the recipe lends itself to soaking the flour.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I use the same flour and love it. I sub it for anything and everything I can't soak. We don't notice it not being as fine as white flour, though I'm sure it's heavier, but we're just used to it. But I'm serious that I use it in ANYTHING and we love it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Saratc and Yitlan -

I'm also thinking of buying and trying some and ...

Did you use the wheat or spelt ?

Why don't you soak it, but use 'regular' flour for soaking ? Oh maybe I can answer... you don't have to so why 'waste' the flour money on that, and just use it for things like pies and instant things?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yes, Di, basically. It's pricier, so I use it for recipes that are harder to convert to soaked. The sprouted flour had to be soaked in order to sprout anyway. I use the spelt.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Di View Post
Why don't you soak it, but use 'regular' flour for soaking ? Oh maybe I can answer... you don't have to so why 'waste' the flour money on that, and just use it for things like pies and instant things?
Hehe, yep, you answered your own question. The sprouted stuff is yummy but pricey and since it's sprouted, no need for soaking.

I have tried all the sprouted products -- spelt, wheat, rye, and the spelt cereal. Actually haven't tried the spelt cereal yet but am going to make waffles from that. The creatingheaven.net site has lots of good recipes, but I've found it just as easy to use my conventional recipes and substitute one to one. The wheat and spelt taste similar, but the spelt has slightly less gluten content which is supposed to be noticable in stuff like pies, but I haven't noticed a difference. I use them interchangeably but bought spelt the last time I placed an order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies and the link to that site, I'll check it out. I just wondered if there was a reason why you all buy sprouted flour instead of just making it yourself. Does it just take too much time or do you get a much better quality from bought flour? I hope I'm able to make it myself because it would save me so much money and would be so nutritious.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
For me, it's the time. As it is, I am averaging about 2.5 hours a day for my NT routine. I make water kefir, milk kefir, kombucha, and lacto-fermented veggies on a regular basis. Then there's the soaking of rice, beans, and other grains, making all my foods from scratch, etc. I can deal with soaking flours but I make cookies, pies, and recipes not conducive to soaking so seldomly that I would hate the process to take 3 days instead when I am craving something.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yea... me too - it's the time savings. Not that I've used it yet
but it seems so nutritious and easy to finally be able to make something fast without prep. work - kind of like a treat for myself ! (I'm waiting until my freezer is less full, so I can buy some and freeze it )

I have a grinder and grind dry berries, as normal... but to first soak and sprout and then dry would be too time consuming... and also, I don't want to risk 'not drying it enough/properly' and ruining the grinder.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I've found the sprouted flour from that site to be better than what I've made at home, in terms of working in recipes in a manner similar to conventional flour (white or whole grain). My home-sprouted wheat flour always seemed to absorb less liquid in recipes, so I'd need to add more flour. Plus, I like using spelt, and have never been successful at sprouting spelt at home, wheat's no problem but spelt always got funky or moldy before it would sprout for me. Time is an issue for me, as well, though. I love having flour on hand that I can just use without having to soak, and that isn't a nutritional compromise.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Man I love MDC...I just opened this thread a few minutes ago and learned about this sprouted flour supplier... and now just completed an order to try their sprouted wheat, spelt and cream of spelt cereal. I'm excited.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.