Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully sprouted mung beans? If so, is it possible to do at home without buying fancy equipment? What's the process?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
yea, it's just like sprouting any other seed. A jar and lid with holes or cheesecloth and rubber band are all the equipment you need.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Like NatureMama said, mung bean sprouting is very simple. I soak them overnight first, then keep them in an airated jar, rinsing twice a day, until they sprout. Its really that simple. I use a wide neck glass jar, with no lid or cloth, and when I rinse them I just tip them out into a fine seive, run the tap over and swish them around a bit then tip them all back into the jar. Depending on how warm the place is where you sprout them, you could have little tails in two days or maybe 3. I like to eat them after about 3 days sprouting, before the tails are too long. Once they are done, you can keep them in the fridge in an air tight container, I just put the lid on the jar I sprouted them in.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I sprout mung beans a lot, without any special equipment. I soak them ovenight, then put them in a sieve and run them under water a few times a day. That's all. They usually take about 3 days to be ready to eat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts