Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a good way to keep squirrels out of my potted plants? i dont know quite what they're in there for--my plants seem to still be doing fine but they kick dirt up everywhere, make little holes, and expose the plant's roots.

i like the squirrels in my yard (and my dog so enjoys chasing them!) but man they're starting to annoy me. would putting a squirrel feeder in the very back of the yard away from the potted plants make it better? or worse? my husband says we should not feed the squirrels.....

·
Registered
873 Posts
I tried just about everything when we lived in Chicago--even fox urine and pepper spray--all to no avail. I even snapped a pic of one cheeky bugger using the pepper spray bottle as a stepstool to reach up into one of my larger pots! Sorry, no advice, just wanted to let you know that I feel your frustration
: .

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I sprinkle cayenne pepper on the soil. Works like a charm...they don't like to go near it and even if they do begin to dig, they immediately realize it's a bad idea and run for it! You do have to reapply after watering or rain. I've been doing this for years.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What a great recommendation with the cayenne!

The squirrels are burying something, usually a nut or acorn. Which will likely root and need to be pulled out. They work so hard, especially in the fall, burying hundreds if not more of these things everywhere, and they couldn't possibly remember where they put them after, could they? It seems to me it would be pointless to be storing them away to have a little munch later--so I have no idea what the purpose is.

Some gardeners I know fit the open top of their pots with a kind of wire screen or chicken wire, which is a pain but it works. Then they disguise it by covering it--barely!--with pebble or bark. If you put the wire too deep under the mulch, the squirrel won't give up easily and still make a mess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts