Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Sing, Spell, Read and Write preschool program? My first grader is using the Level 1 and loving it. I'm thinking of getting the preschool one for my other DD almost 5 to use this summer to get ready for Kindergarten in the fall.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used this for my son and we loved it. We mostly skipped the singing part, b/c he just isn't into music/ art, etc.
. Anyway, it was fun and he actually enjoyed the colorful worksheets - and he isn't a worksheet kind of kid. I doubt you would be disappointed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We used it, DD liked it well enough
She likes to sing, much more then I do, LOL!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I looked into it just now, it looks nice, I like how it uses songs and doesn't use "ball and stick" writing. But it's AWFULLY expensive and I wondered how much it was REALLY worth it... I mean, tons and tons of kids learn to read just fine just by absorbing and observing without a formal program, especially not a $100+ program.

I found this: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal...accno=ED402567

An actual study was done in classrooms comparing results of SSRW with "traditional" reading programs. The result? "Results indicated no statistically significant differences between the baseline group and the SSRW group in any of the four areas of reading for first or second grade."

Of course, test scores don't demonstrate enjoyment, and there's a possibility that kids using a program like SSRW will enjoy the lessons and the end result of reading and writing more, which has more long-term benefits. That's harder to measure.

But it does make me question whether it's really worth it. I'm honestly coming more and more to believe that as long as kids have access to words and books, they will learn to read just as they become developmentally able to, regardless of what kind of program we use with them. And all the reviews of all the programs out there that say "my kid struggled with reading until we used this program..." Well, odds are they just finally developed that last brain 'bit' for things to click, and it would have happened in almost any program.

I know that is oversimplifying things lol... But I do think there are just as enjoyable reading and writing programs out there which cost much less (and are even free), and also that most kids will learn to read and write just fine without any particular program anyway. So I'm inclined to lean towards "save your money"... But if you're already using it and the kid likes it, no harm done either!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
We had a lot of fun and success learning the phonetic ABC sounds with the K version! They have SSRW preschool on Ebay for around $75 which I think is on par with other preschool programs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would agree that the SSRW is fun. You could get similar results with almost any program or no program at all. I tried coming up with the stuff on my own - free stuff from the internet, reading, etc., but with my personality, I really needed a boxed curriculum.

I only paid about $80 for it at Rainbow Resource and didn't think it was too expensive for what you get. I know you can find it cheaper on ebay, as a pp mentioned.

And even though I used SSRW with my son and liked it, I don't know if I am going to get it for my dd now 3 1/2. We are using Starfall (which is free and fun) for letter sounds/ identification.

We use Handwriting Without Tears for writing. Both ds & dd are using HWT. Some people don't like it b/c it uses ball & stick format, but it works really well for us. I learned ball & stick and still print everything except when I sign my name. So, I'm comfortable with it and my children are enjoying it. Sorry, that part was a bit OT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.