Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering how many of you have had success on St John's wort? I a suppose to start taking celexa after a terrible bout with effexor...I'm wondering if I should try the herbal way first? Although 2 days off effexor I feel better I also am short or breath again which is one of the main physical symptons I feel from my PPD.....I wonder if the ST John's will work for that? Any comments I would appreciate...
thanks again

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I don't have any advice about the St. John's but have been on Celexa for the last few years for clinical depression. I was on it through my entire pregnancy and my psychiatrist increased my dose when I had bad PPD after my daughter was born. I had a difficult time coping with a newborn and didn't want to mess around with something that I knew worked really well for me in the past. Oh, it is completely safe to take while breastfeeding...both my OB and my psychiatrist told me a depressed mama is far more dangerous than the Celexa. HTH's! Feel free to PM if you have any questions! Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm replying mainly to bump the thread, I was wondering about St John's Wort myself - if it would help, if it's safe while nursing or possibly pregnant? TIA!!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well, I've been on St. Johns for 4 months now, and MOST of the time it seems to be helpful. It is classified as a mild SSRI. It's considered safe while breastfeeding (at least by my CNMs, one of which is a lact. conslt), but not during pregnancy because of it's effects on the uterus, I think. I'm browsing this forum today because I think the St. Johns is just not cutting it anymore. I'm having to work really hard to keep my temper. It has helped a lot w/ my anxiety and insomnia, but I still have almost zero motivation and feel pretty irritable most of the time. My CNM said if it ever stops working to call her and she'd prescribe something. Ofcourse when I saw her I was feeling great. So, just have to make the call.

The thing about S.J's is you have to take it 3 times a day and you can't forget, or else its effect seems to be inconsistent. It also takes a few days at first to build in your system and to see results.
HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.