Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have been depressed; a fairly mild case but enough to affect things. We can't afford for me to go on anti-depressants and after I give birth, when I'm 99% sure I'll have PPD again, I have no doctor to prescribe meds (I go to a prenatal clinic for my pregnancy). I've taken Saint John's Wort in the past with sucess so I'm quite sure it would work for me.

I've looked and looked online and see that SJW is relatively safe for breastfeeding which is good as I'm still nursing DS, but it doesn't really say much about pregnancy except in one case that it's potentially a uterotonic.

I trust the judgement of the mama's here so would you take Saint John's Wort in pregnancy? I'm 33.5 weeks pregnant right now.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I think in moderate therapeutic doses it would be fine. I'd start out small, see how you feel, then increase slowly.
Good luck, Carla.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pam
. I never thought start small, but I guess that would be the best way to go to see how I would react.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I took it on the advice of my midwife earlier in my pregnancy. I think I started it at around 10-12 weeks. It didn't take much for me to see an effect, she had me start very small as well. I'm 34 weeks now and don't take it anymore b/c my depression is mainly seasonal. It did help quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I took it as part of a herbal sleeping tablet (with valerian and lavender and winter cherry), not sure of the dose, in my last trimester, no problems ( and I slept very well!)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I've read some very negative reports about St. John's Wort and pregnancy. I personally would not take it. I have suffered from sever depression in the past and found that knowing I was depressed was the first step to fixing it.

I made sure I got out in the sunlight everyday, even cloudy days. I made sure I ate a well rounded diet with less sugar (carbs turn to sugar, particularly refined bread products) the highs and lows attribute to worsening depression. And as much as I hate excersice, I did it anyway.

If you are already walking in the sunlight daily and eating a good diet, then I'd research the St. John's Wort a bit more and start smaller than recommended. But I would try "drug free" alternatives first. Maybe even try researching accupuncture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts