Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were bombarded with a few really good storms a few days ago and have a HUGE pool of standing water in the backyard. Already we are starting to get bit by mosquitos - WHile we're pumping it out (veryyyy slowly) I was wondering if anyone knew of a safe way to "treat" the water so that those buggers will stop hatching. It needs to be safe for kids, dogs , the earth, etc....
TIA!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one. I'd say bleach but I bet that could be harmful for others besides the mosquitos. How established is that area in your yard; ie. could you fill it in with bark or soil? Good luck--I hope it passes quickly.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Mosquito dunks...all natural and safe for kids and animals and the earth I heard.
I am thinking you can get them at home depot.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I think I've read that some people use Dr. Bronner's Pepperment Liquid Castile soap in those situations. Can't hurt to try, right? Or perhaps just spray Citronella on the water?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have some Dr. Bronner's Ill try that one and dh always loves to go to Home Depot...so I'll have him hunt for those dunks things...That area is a HUGE mud pit right now - it is the drainage area for a our whole backyard, and eventually it will be full off rip-rap (big, chunky rocks) - we cqan't do bark (scorpions love it) and if we filled it in, the water would cozy on up to our house.

Thanks for the ideas though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts