Mothering Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They are worthless? Those Hoover Institute members are at it again!

About masks - remember that Halloween, a holiday that focuses on mask wearing and costumes, was cancelled for the most part in 2020 during the covid 19 pandemic.

So was Mardi Gras, in 2020 and 2021.

Kind of strange? I think so.

Reactions: stellanyc

·
Registered
18,726 Posts
Yes, if you try to post a link to this study on Twitter it gets zapped apparently. Pretty blatant.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is a published, peer reviewed, double blind experiment, the gold standard of scientific proof! So of course it needs to be censored!

I do know that wearing a mask for any extended period of time brought back my teenage acne in my old age. Anecdotal but true.

·
Registered
18,726 Posts
It is a published, peer reviewed, double blind experiment, the gold standard of scientific proof! So of course it needs to be censored!

I do know that wearing a mask for any extended period of time brought back my teenage acne in my old age. Anecdotal but true.
I've been thinking that the level of censorship is will become utterly freaky pretty soon. So much to cover up and deny!

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Compared with no mask, participants reported feeling increasingly short of breath and claustrophobic at higher exercise intensities while wearing a cloth face mask. Coaches, trainers and athletes should consider modifying the frequency, intensity, time and type of exercise when wearing a cloth face mask.
Actually the WHO states that masks should not be worn while exercising:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even if the is a small probability that mask prevents the spread of the virus I would use and I do. Actually I`ve got covid twice and I felt good both time. But some people suffer from it and even die. So I don't scare to get sick, but I am scared to spread it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am not completely convinced that face masks reduce the spread of Covid. And mask mandates clearly have no impact (the reason why could perhaps be debatable). I also am concerned with censorship of things in general.

That said, this was not a Stanford Study at all. Baruch Vainshelboim claimed he was affiliated with Stanford. They have publicly stated he has no current affiliation to Stanford and has never been on the faculty. he had a 1 year visiting position to things completely unrelated to this paper (he has a Phd in Exercise physiology), and the work was not conducted nor was it written at Stanford.

Further, this journal is Medical hypotheses. It's purpose is to publish theoretical and unconventional things to get conversations started. In fact, the original premise was "a forum for unconventional ideas without filter of peer review". In 2010 they added a portion where the editor reviews things so that unbelievably out there things no longer were published after they were sued when they published a paper in 2009 that claimed HIV did not cause AIDS.

People don't publish traditional research in Medical hypotheses. It serves a needed area to discuss controversial and unconventional ideas. But this is a theoretical paper, by someone lying about their institutional affiliation, in a journal whose stated purpose is about theoretical and unconventional ideas. it is not a double blind experiment. It isn't an experiment at all.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts

What’s being labeled as a "study" is actually an article in the journal Medical Hypotheses. Stanford University says it had nothing to do with the journal article. Furthermore, the article makes false claims about the ill effects of mask wearing.

The article "is paper-thin nonsense," said biology professor Benjamin Neuman, chief viologist Texas A&M University’s Global Health Research Complex. "It is unreferenced personal opinion that misquotes a few scientific papers."

Stanford said it had nothing to do with the article and that it has asked the journal for a correction.

Vainshelboim identifies himself in his LinkedIn profile as a clinical exercise physiologist, with a doctorate from the University of Porto in Portugal.

"In genuine scientific research, one either has to do new experiments, or analyze relevant data from an appropriate source. This does neither — the scientific studies that it mentions are all misquoted, or cite conversations rather than experiments," Neuman said. The article "did not generate any new data, and does not appear to have analyzed any data of substance. Without any of the stuff that gives a scientific paper substance, it is hard to think of this as anything more than personal opinion, from a person with no particular relevant experience or understanding."

Our ruling

Headlines from bloggers said a "Stanford study" found that masks were ineffective and could even lead to death.

Stanford University has no connection with a Medical Hypotheses journal article, written by an exercise physiologist who isn’t affiliated with Stanford, that makes debunked claims about mask-wearing and COVID-19.

We rate the headline False.

·
Registered
18,726 Posts
I am not completely convinced that face masks reduce the spread of Covid. And mask mandates clearly have no impact (the reason why could perhaps be debatable). I also am concerned with censorship of things in general.

That said, this was not a Stanford Study at all. Baruch Vainshelboim claimed he was affiliated with Stanford. They have publicly stated he has no current affiliation to Stanford and has never been on the faculty. he had a 1 year visiting position to things completely unrelated to this paper (he has a Phd in Exercise physiology), and the work was not conducted nor was it written at Stanford.

Further, this journal is Medical hypotheses. It's purpose is to publish theoretical and unconventional things to get conversations started. In fact, the original premise was "a forum for unconventional ideas without filter of peer review". In 2010 they added a portion where the editor reviews things so that unbelievably out there things no longer were published after they were sued when they published a paper in 2009 that claimed HIV did not cause AIDS.

People don't publish traditional research in Medical hypotheses. It serves a needed area to discuss controversial and unconventional ideas. But this is a theoretical paper, by someone lying about their institutional affiliation, in a journal whose stated purpose is about theoretical and unconventional ideas. it is not a double blind experiment. It isn't an experiment at all.
Thanks for sorting that out! Interesting. I'm glad you disapprove of censorship. It is odd that censorship seems to have been the first option, instead of explaining why the study wasn't all that useful?

Now, what about that Danish study?

·
Registered
18,726 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think this is the article that everyone is talking about;

You see that a lot, people coming our of university with PHDs. Spend a great deal of their lives learning at the capacity of that University and then Graduate. Absolute great accomplishment and a very long time in the making. Since they're not a part of acedmia anymore, they're not affiliated with them. To not support your graduates really says something about the University. We the people do see this and thus why many institutes are not getting the peers they need.

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dr Robert Mendelsohn said that people who have advanced degrees tend to not be able to think on the basis of common sense, only on the basis of studies, statistics, studies, numbers, charts, and more studies.

The science is never settled, contrary to their mindset.

BTW, I do have an advanced degree - MA in education, curriculum development, - but it is mainly on my resume' and I do my very best to rely on common sense not some study somewhere done by someone with an agenda.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
24,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts