Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 7 months and we've been doing baby led weaning. He had some yogurt and seemed fine, but a couple days ago after he seemed to react to it. He had some in the morning and I thought he was just spitting up a little more than usual after he ate because he was so active. However I kept smelling blueberries and realized it was the yogurt. I think he threw it all up (he only had an ounce or so).

We had this same problem with formula (wasn't able to BF). If it was one that had lactose in it he'd seem fine at first, but after having it repeatedly for a few days he'd start spitting it all up.

Is there any chance this will be outgrown? I have a dairy allergy and I was hoping he wouldn't have that.

Also, we tried wheat (I have gluten intolerance) and he had really hard stools. So we took him off it for awhile and he did fine with GF foods. So recently I gave him a small bit of toast and he seemed fine with it. Then later after several days of very small pieces and him appearing fine he had a large slice, but not a whole slice of bread. What are the chances the consitpation was just a coincidence? I really hope he does fine with gluten.

I'm so paranoid since he started solid foods. I always knew I would be since I have 4 food allergies and a gluten intolerance.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
For a baby with a history of food reactions, and with you having food allergies, I would REALLY recommend staying away from dairy and gluten products as first foods. Those are really hard to digest and common allergens.

There is a pdf of foods most/least allergic and another showing a good order to introduce solids to an atopic babe. It should be in the resources thread, otherwise you can google joneja food allergen scale.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that, but I've also heard it doesn't do any good to wait. I'm so confused. My cousin, who has a confirmed case of celiac's didn't wait. She offered him wheat, he seemed to react, she stopped for 2 weeks and tried it again and he was fine. Turns out it was just a coincidence.

I'm just not sure what to do. I really don't want him to have the same problems. I just really hoping that he'd outgrow the problems with lactose too. But maybe I'll just wait until he's 12 months and try then. Same with wheat.

Well, if he has those problems at least I'll know what to do! My parents aren't very supportive of this though. They just suggest slowly introducing it and then brush off my fears. I know they care, but yeah, I don't think they know how to handle it. My diagnosis came when I was an adult already so I was the one that altered my diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.