Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: I gave birth in January of this year.

I've been breastfeeding exclusively. I started my period in March.

Why? Why does my body want to get pregnant? Or is it possible that it's dry cycling and it's just a period without fertility? How do I know?

Taking my temperature and cervical fluid is a LAUGH. My cervical fluid is ALWAYS "egg white" and my temperatures are high/low/high/low every morning from breastfeeding.

So according to that data, I'm either always ovulating or never ovulating. Which do I believe? What do I do?

This means that if birth control was not invented, God would want me to have a baby EVERY YEAR for the rest of my fertile life?!

Ah!
: What is going on with me?

Why would my period start just a month and a half after delivery while EXCLUSIVELY CONSTANTLY BREASTFEEDING a baby with a huge, healthy appetite?

Am I some foreign creature unrelated to the typical female race?

I feel like my hormones are at war with eachother: The fertility hormone vs. the breastfeeding hormone.

If someone could please tell me what is going on here, it would be great. I have researched and researched and am not finding any answers.

My husband and I DO NOT WANT to concieve right now. Not at least until Spring. He was born just 9 months ago for crying out loud.

I don't want to switch to hormonal because that might make his supply go down.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. If there is ANY way I can figure out when I'm ACTUALLY ovulating to prevent all this stress and worry, PLEASE TELL ME.

-Caitrin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to add that my periods have been so dang inconsistent and I have wasted money on many pregnancy tests this year because of it.

My last cycle was 35 days. The one before was 27. The one before was 40.

VERY confused.

-Caitrin

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Man, that sucks! If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you my mom's story:

Her and my dad had problems having kids, finally she got preg with me. After she had me (and I was tough, I screamed, cried all the time, very fussy). She didn't think she would get pregnant the 'normal' way (I was a test tube baby, ha ha), then she gets pregnant with my sister (we are 18 months apart). Talk about a surprise.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
Man, that sucks! If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you my mom's story:

Her and my dad had problems having kids, finally she got preg with me. After she had me (and I was tough, I screamed, cried all the time, very fussy). She didn't think she would get pregnant the 'normal' way (I was a test tube baby, ha ha), then she gets pregnant with my sister (we are 18 months apart). Talk about a surprise.
Yes, it does suck. And unfortunately, I'm a rarety. One reason I created this thread was to find at least one mama who has/is experiencing the same thing.

I get the feeling that isn't going to happen though.

:

-Caitrin

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
Yes, it does suck. And unfortunately, I'm a rarety. One reason I created this thread was to find at least one mama who has/is experiencing the same thing.

I get the feeling that isn't going to happen though.

:

-Caitrin
Well, then I guess I am a rarety also!
No pacifiers, no NOTHING! Just like clockwork got my period at 6 weeks pp. Same with dd1 also! .....but the funny thing is, neither of us are super fertile...well then maybe just DH isn't!
..because we have had a couple "oops" moments and nothing came of it.....I dont' know why it happens either! If you find out let me know!

I HATE IT!!!! Everyone around me even my own mother had AT LEAST a few months break! My SIL always gets at least 12 mos.!! I mean I thought I would at least get 2 or 3 mos.!

The only difference between my cycles with dd1 and dd2 were that with dd1 I started my period at 6 weeks and they were SUPER regular within a day or two of each other every month and this time I JUST (about 4 mos. ago) started to get regular cycles. I also made a trip to the drug store for a test, more than once because they were so wacky!

ETA: Dh and I would just totally avoid BD anytime that I had EWCM and we used withdrawal method the WHOLE time EVERY cycle until my cycles evened out and I could tell better when I ovulate. FWIW I don't chart my temps either because dd2 is still nursing like crazy at night. HTH

·
Registered
486 Posts

I don't have any advice. I started AF 3 mos PP (EBFing, too) but my cycles are like clock work and I always have very tell tale signs of ovulation.

I'm sure some other mamas will come along and be able to give you some good advice.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
It isn't rare. I've have 5 children (and two m/c) and like CLOCKWORK with EBF 6 weeks AF is there. Same for mom, 3 aunts, sisters, and most of my clients.

I know more mothers with the 1.5months after delivery cycle then not and would have to disagree that it's rare. that hasn't been my experience, or the experience of most people I know.

it's annoying. our closest kids are 16months.

I think we need more research because the stuff I read saying AF doen't return are OLD, IMO.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so glad I am not the only one

Was so hoping someone would understand and it looks like some of you do. Thank you!

And feel free to PM me with any informative links or anything too...

Again, thanks for the hugs.

-Caitrin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
It isn't rare. I've have 5 children (and two m/c) and like CLOCKWORK with EBF 6 weeks AF is there. Same for mom, 3 aunts, sisters, and most of my clients.

I know more mothers with the 1.5months after delivery cycle then not and would have to disagree that it's rare. that hasn't been my experience, or the experience of most people I know.

it's annoying. our closest kids are 16months.

I think we need more research because the stuff I read saying AF doen't return are OLD, IMO.
WOW. So, maybe with you it is not rare, but I SWEAR that every woman I have encountered who are breastfeeding have not started yet and they lament that they can't get pregnant, while I have the opposite problem

Oie. What to do.

-Caitrin

·
Registered
753 Posts
After my kids #1,3 &4 it took between 10-15mo. to get aunt flo back. But after #2 It came back directly. I charted to avoid but I don't think I ovulated until she was 18 mo even with all those cycles. Doesn't mean you can't but it is less likely you are ovulating. Oh and my cycles where never regular and it really sucked. Maybe next time you won't start so soon.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I had random bleeding for a few days 8 wks pp and my M.W. called it a period, BUT I didn't get AF back for real (no more bleeding ever) until 19mos pp.

So, here's hoping it's a fluke and won't be visiting again for a very long time!
:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have an 8 month old and while AF hasn't made an appearance yet, DH and I have used a condom every single time ever since DS2 was born. Mainly because I do not want to get pregnant again for a long time and using a condom relieves stress about that. It's hard to chart while EBF, in my experience! I know everyone's different, and it'll be nice when I can chart reliably again, but condoms have been fine for us and it's nice to not worry so much.

Sorry about your PPAF's early arrival.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got AF back within 2 months of giving birth with both of my kids. Exclusive breastfeeding round the clock, just like you, and I still got my period.

You're not the only one. Be diligent with birth control, that's my only advice. My two kids are less than 18 months apart (which I love now, but was hard when my second was a newborn).

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
It isn't rare.
4 weeks post partum, here (with my fourth ebf baby) - and I'm not talking spotting, either. Full-blown, 5-day flow.
:

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I got AF back when my oldest was 4mo, got pg again when she was 8mo (totally NOT planned!) and then I went a whopping 6m without AF while tandem nursing.

I'm glad I had more than 1 or 2m without AF like some other women have, but it's still not nearly long enough to rely on for healthy child spacing. A friend of mine had about 2 cycles between her 4th and 5th babies- and they're 3 years apart! I so wish I could have experienced that as well!

There's a very wide range of normal. Somebody's got to fall in the lower end of the range, right?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Five weeks pp here. I'm still
about it. They're pretty regular too. And I'm pretty sure I'm ovulating. Cosleeping, ebf, all that. And still.

To be blunt, it sucks.

I've always been curious as to why some women get it a month after delivery and some get it two years after. Is it karma?

Kidding.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm starting to get frustrated with mommy friends of mine who look at me as an inferior and that I'm so odd when I tell them I EBF but started so soon.

One mom didn't believe me that I *REALLY* was EBF because the idea of starting so early while doing so, was foreign to her.

Ughhh...

-Caitrin

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

One mom didn't believe me that I *REALLY* was EBF because the idea of starting so early while doing so, was foreign to her
isn't that sad?! I've had women argue with me over it! as if I don't know what EBF is??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.