Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD started morning preschool last month and has now given up her afternoon nap. I pick her up at noon - the kids who stay all day have nap time from 12:30 - 2:30 but I figured if she was going to be napping she might as well be doing it at home right?<br><br>
Well, she has not taken a nap all week and last week was very touch and go. I don't know if she is so jazzed about her morning at school that she can't fall asleep or what. She has always been so consistent and easy with her naps - I never thought she would just up and quit like this. I figured, if anything, school would wear her out and she would nap great.<br><br>
I don't know what to do about it - she obviously needs a nap. She gets very cranky in the afternoons without one. But how can I make her sleep if she doesn't want to? I follow our same routine that has always worked so well, but now she just sits in her crib and talks to herself and plays with her dolls. I left her in there for an hour today hoping she would eventually fall asleep. She never did. She doesn't cry or anything, just doesn't sleep.<br><br>
I am starting to feel my patience wear very thin as well and we are having such a hard time in the afternoons now. I have thought about leaving her at school through nap time and letting her sleep there but I hate to have her there for that long of a day. Plus, I would have to pay for full time tuition instead of just part-time and that is quite a hike in expenses.<br><br>
She always falls asleep in the car on the way home from school but as soon as I bring her inside she is up again. Maybe I should just let her sleep in the car? But that seems so uncomfortable and like such a cop-out. I feel like she needs to be getting a good solid nap in her bed, not in the carseat.<br><br>
What to do??

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I bet the short nap in the car is enough to keep her from napping when she gets home. I know if my ds gets even the shortest snooze in the car, he doesnt nap! So, I make sure to keep him awake in the car with toys adn books when I think he might nod off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Dd has had trouble napping in the old style since she started preschool too. I have found over the past couple weeks that if she nurses to sleep in my lap she'll sleep for much longer than if I can get her to conk out in her old nap bed. Somedays she'll sleep for three hours if I don't move (lots of one handed emailing and pins and needles!) and she has been much happier since I realized this wasn't a one time thing. I have to admit I don't really mind getting tied down like this since I know this won't last for nearly long enough either!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts