Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems most of these threads are geared to older babies. Ariana is 2 months and I am interested in starting her, only I don't know her signals. I can usually tell when she needs to poop, but pee? I have no idea.

Any advice?

·
Registered
57 Posts
We started our dd at 2 days. When she was that little, mostly the only way she would tell us she had to pee was by arching her back - which could mean almost any kind of discomfort. We added going to the potty to our troubleshooting list: Does she need me to get up and walk around? Does she need to pee? Does she need to nurse? (I'm a little foogy on remembering, but I think that was about the extent of our list). It took awhile for us to get the hang of it, and we still get peed on occasionally. Have you read the Diaper Free book? I think it's the best; I read it staright from cover to cover when I was pg; it mostly focusses on early starters. You'll get to know her cues and then leter on, it may be hard to list her cues because you're going on intuition. I've been accepting the fact that I'm an ec fanatic. I think it's the best! My dh may be farther gone; he'll tell anyone all about! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Infant Potty Training by Laurie Boucke is another good one. The best way to learn your baby's pee signals is to let her spend some time diaperless or in a diaper without a cover, so you can tell exactly when she's peeing and hopefully connect it with some signal. My dd has never been a big signaller, though. So it's possible that you'll find that sometimes there just aren't any signals. But once you figure out how often she tends to go, you can use timing as well as watch for signals.

2 months is a good time to start. That's when I started with my dd. It seemed like every time I'd change her diaper, she'd pee right while I was changing her, so I started by holding her over the sink every time I took her diaper off to change her.

·
Registered
316 Posts
we started at 3 months, but ds was a good signal giver. he thumps his leg against my tummy when he is nursing and needs to go, and the rest of the time he will fuss.
totally blew me away last week when he was running around naked, went to his potty, sat down and went pees! and then he brought it to me to see and spilled the entire contents...but HEY! lol

i suggest nakey time as well...maybe keep a waterproof pad between you and baby and just pay attention to what happens right before your dd goes potty.

for books, there is another one called trickle treat that is pretty good. i cant remember the author.

good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts