Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son is 10 1/2 months old, unvaxed, and about to start part time day care in a week or two.  We initially planned to wait until he was at least a year old and then make our decisions, but now because of changes to my work schedule we are considering making the decision sooner.  He was born at home.  I breast fed him exclusively for 6+ months and still breast feed him.  I make his solid foods myself, from organic veggies whenever possible.  He's healthy, and up until now he has either been coming to my office with me or staying home with Dad.  But now I can't take him to my office on my office hour days, and DH needs some time to get writing done at home, so, we are starting DS in day care two half days/week.  When we knew this might be the case we made an appointment with our dr. for next week and planned to do one vaccine at that time -- the Dr. recommends either DTaP or HIB -- with the thinking that being exposed to other kids in a group day care will make him more vulnerable.  But, now I'm getting nervous about the vaccines.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've read the Vaccine Book.  I've listened to my Dr.s arguments.  I've read lots of articles on Mothering.  And it is just hard to make a decision.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The DTaP that the dr. uses is Daptacel -- which contains 330 micrograms of aluminum.  I don't recall which brand of HIB she uses, but I think it is the one without aluminum (I called to check on this, but nobody was there today to answer my question, so I'll have to wait until next week). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I guess what I'm hoping for is a pointer towards some info on these particular diseases/vaccines. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What are the factors that would put my son at risk for HIB or Pertussis (or Diptheria, or Tetanus), and what are the risks of these specific vaccines. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you can point me towards any research I should check out before making a decision, I'd really appreciate it.</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts