Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a part-time SAHM and my mom and MIL watch DD while I'm at work (12 hours/wk). This has worked out great for us until recently when my MIL is needing to travel for a couple weeks at a time and my mom works, so it leaves us in a bad position. I need a backup plan and I've looked into toddler "school" programs. There is a Compass School near us that is a Reggio Emilia curriculum that I really like. They have the option of only going one day a week, which we would do. She's 13 mo. now, and will start when she's 16 mo. Anyway, my question is (sorry for the rambling!)-she soesn't do well with anyone exept me, DH, my mom or MIL, and I'm pretty sure it would be traumatic for her to be put in that situation. That being said-she loves being around other kids, and I think she would enjoy it, but I don't know how the initial adaptation will be. Has anyone experienced this and have any advise for either making it easier for her, or encouraging us for figure something else out? I would also be interested in finding someone to come to our house, but I thought she might like the group environment. OK, thanks for reading this and offering any help!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My experience is that children generally do better with daycare providers than we think they will.

My dd was sad too often at the first (in-home) day care I put her in, but she has been very happy at the center I have her in now.

She is 2 now, but started daycare, I think, around the same time you are thinking of. I still stay 20-30 minutes to help her get settled in. I say good-bye and tell her I will be back to pick her up in the afternoon.

I think it is very important to say good-bye even if your child cries. Sneaking off when they aren't paying attention is a bad idea, imo. Dd has gone through a couple phases of crying when I leave, but she never cried for long after I left.

She naps well for them, eats well for them, and loves her providers. I think it has been very good for her to be there.

Some of the children take loveys along, but dd never had one.

HTH

ETA: I also started her out on shorter days. We visited twice where I stayed the entire time, then I left her for a couple hours, then longer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.