Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is almost 14 months and I would like to try EC w/him. How do you start w/older babies? We were given a potty chair by a friend, and I've just purchased a few fitted dipes so I can get a better sense of what his patterns are - the pocket dipes I currently use make it impossible to tell when he's JUST eliminated.

I was thinking about putting him in prefolds and fitteds (both w/o covers) for the first weekend (that's the other thing - I work fulltime so I can only EC consistently at night and on weekends) and then trying diaperless the next weekend, with the potty chair close at hand.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Also, how do you EC mamas clean up the "misses"? I'm a little nervous about that part (cuz I know it's going to happen!) - we have wall-to-wall carpeting downstairs and wool area rugs upstairs and I don't want to have little pee/poop stains everywhere!

And finally...at that age, do you still 'pee' them or just have them sit on the potty chair?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
sounds like a very good approach to me!

That first cover-less week, try cuing him everytime he pees- you can even ask your care providers to do it during the day too. Anytime you know he's peeing say 'psssss'. By the end of that week he'll have figured out that pssss means peeing. Then sit him on his potty anytime he'll likely have to go (usually upon awakening or a fe mins after a big feed) and let him know that that's where he's supposed to pee 'psssss' and see what happens!

I've never ECed babe that old, so that's all just my speculation. Sounds like you're already on the right track- good luck with your venture mama!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I started my son at 14 months....and now he is going in the potty all the time.....he is now 15.5 months old and he has not pooped in his diaper since we started!!

We do use cloth diapers, but only for naps, car rides, and that's about it!! The rest of the time he is either naked or wearing regular underwear.......having him naked is the only way I was able to pick up on his signals and cue him to pee.

He has occassional misses/accidents. We do not have carpet in every room.....so he usually tries to go to the kitchen or somewhere where there isn't carpet.....but I just never worried about accidents anyways.

Good luck!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah's mom
DS is almost 14 months and I would like to try EC w/him. How do you start w/older babies? We were given a potty chair by a friend, and I've just purchased a few fitted dipes so I can get a better sense of what his patterns are - the pocket dipes I currently use make it impossible to tell when he's JUST eliminated.

I was thinking about putting him in prefolds and fitteds (both w/o covers) for the first weekend (that's the other thing - I work fulltime so I can only EC consistently at night and on weekends) and then trying diaperless the next weekend, with the potty chair close at hand.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Also, how do you EC mamas clean up the "misses"? I'm a little nervous about that part (cuz I know it's going to happen!) - we have wall-to-wall carpeting downstairs and wool area rugs upstairs and I don't want to have little pee/poop stains everywhere!

And finally...at that age, do you still 'pee' them or just have them sit on the potty chair?

·
Registered
195 Posts
At some point you might just think to yourself, "what am I doing? this is crazy, impossible, too late . . ." Just laugh and keep going. It is fun and that is why I do ec with my kiddies. Good luck and keep going. Remember use your nose and focus on his communications which may or may not be very obvious at this point but you and he will eventually tune it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts